If Armstrong and Aldrin had been stranded on the Moon

I always thought the mission statement for the Apollo Program was interesting in that it explicitly included:

"First, I believe that this nation should commit itself to achieving the goal, before this decade is out, of landing a man on the Moon and returning him safely to the Earth."

Really makes those significant figures you learned about in high school chemistry sound important. Better be 99.999999% accurate not just 99.9%

I'll spare you yet another post of the Tyson lecture, but I will venture to say that we were a lot better (by which I mean "healthier"...best way I can think to put it) when we did crap that was incredibly dangerous because it was there and it was lookin at us wrong. Oh, you're going to put us on top of a giant pipebomb fueled with nitroglycerin and shoot us at a tiny rock in outer space and it might be DANGEROUS? Nevermind! I've got KIDS and stuff!

Give me even odds of dying horribly and ask me if I want to go walk on the moon and there won't be any thinking involved. All in.

I'll spare you yet another post of the Tyson lecture, but I will venture to say that we were a lot better (by which I mean "healthier"...best way I can think to put it) when we did crap that was incredibly dangerous because it was there and it was lookin at us wrong. Oh, you're going to put us on top of a giant pipebomb fueled with nitroglycerin and shoot us at a tiny rock in outer space and it might be DANGEROUS? Nevermind! I've got KIDS and stuff!

Give me even odds of dying horribly and ask me if I want to go walk on the moon and there won't be any thinking involved. All in.

We're not "The Greatest Generation". We're their fat lazy kids, squandering the advantages they built for us. :(

I read that thinking that it's really sad that we don't think like that anymore. I must have just been amazing to grow up during that era when everyone was excited about furthering human exploration. I posted a lot of the Mars rover stuff on my FB page and I think only TWO people commented or even liked it. I've asked other friends when talking on the phone and they didn't even know it happened. DUDE! We just put something the size of a VW Jetta on Mars using a sky crane!!!!! :cool:

... screw cyanide and venting their air supply.

I'd have hopped around, then etched a message in the moon dust big enough for somebody to read it. If you're going to die on the moon, "CHARLIE WAS HERE" for astronomers to read for decades would have been THE AWESOME.

I imagine delirium or other psychosis may have been a factor. Imagine if one of them had written "HEY JOE, I DID YOUR WIFE" or something to that effect. Better yet: "THIS WAS NOT A HOAX ON A SOUNDSTAGE".

Good times. \oo/

Best line from, "From the Earth to the Moon."

"There are 2 Million moving parts on the Saturn V rocket, if it's 99.9% accurate, that still leaves 2,000 things to go wrong."

Puts the whole program in perspective, and they did it with slide rules.

I had a flight instructor I worked with who is a huge space nerd. He knows about all the old space missions to the moon and such, and all the different types of rockets they had. I asked him if stuff ever went wrong on missions. He had lots of crazy stories about how seldom things go 100% right with the thousands if not millions of factors that go into play. He told me a story about one of the moon landings. The guys got stuck on the moon because the ascent rocket boosters switch broke off. They ended up taking a pen and jamming it in the switch to make it work. It's preserved in a museum now. It's call "the pen that brought them home," or something to that effect...

http://thewritersedge.com/story.main.cfm

Has anyone asked before why if they went to the moon with 50's technology they can't go now with our current advances in tech?????

That isn't a problem with today's technology.
No, he asked why can't we use today's tech. My response meant that there is no money to pay for it. It would cost trillions to duplicate the Apollo project in todays money, and the govt can't afford it. Space exploration and colonization/exploitation will be the province of private enterprise going forward.

No, he asked why can't we use today's tech. My response meant that there is no money to pay for it. It would cost trillions to duplicate the Apollo project in todays money, and the govt can't afford it. Space exploration and colonization/exploitation will be the province of private enterprise going forward.

I understand why we can't go, but that's not what he asked. His wording was specific, why can't today's technology make it to the moon if 50's technology could. Implying that somehow the technology is inferior. Never mind that propulsion systems haven't really changed all that much since the 50's. At least as far as large launch vehicles are concerned. Obviously the answer is that we don't have the will to finance it, but that isn't what he asked.

edit to add---Hmm, did you edit your post, because it sure seems like you did, though there is no record of that. Perhaps I'm just losing my mind.

Back