IBT at Colgan?

wantfrieswiththat

I received this e-mail (among others) from a Teamster Rep, probably in response to the talk going around lately. Not sure I buy it, and I definitely prefer ALPA. I have dealt with a Teamsters union drive at a former now defunct airline in a union leadership position, and was not impressed. Any thoughts please?

"Colgan Air Crewmembers:
I wanted to address some concerns regarding the organizing drive and the National Mediation Board (NMB) election. The key fact to remember is that these are two separate events. The organizing drive is a time to educate you on the potential benefits of electing IBT Local 747 as your bargaining representation, and to demonstrate to the NMB a showing of interest in order for them to authorize a representation election. This showing of interest is demonstrated through signing and submitting organizing (aka authorization) cards.

In order to file for a representation election with the NMB on your behalf, the NMB requires 35% of eligible crewmembers to sign and submit cards. The Teamsters have an internal requirement of 65%. The rationale behind this higher requirement is that once the election is filed for and authorized by the NMB, if 50% plus one of the pilot group does not vote "yes" for a union, a one year bar from attempting to obtain representation goes into place. You as Colgan Air pilots have already experienced the one year bar, where the Company was guaranteed inaction by the pilot group no matter how bad the work rules became or general dissatisfaction increased. We take your opportunity to gain representation seriously therefore we strive for 65%.

After the requisite number of authorization cards is submitted and the election is authorized, you will then be mailed voting instructions along with a voter identification number (VIN) and personal identification number (PIN). It is then, during the election, that you cast your vote for union representation, not with the signing and submission of an authorization card.

The risk of the pilot group internalizing false information regarding the significance of a signed authorization card is insurmountable. Remember, there are two thresholds to gaining union representation: (1) signing and submitting your authorization card, and (2) casting your vote for IBT Local 747 once the National Mediation Board election is authorized. I've attached a rough outline detailing these steps, in addition to what happens during and immediately after the election.

There have also been rumors that Colgan can by-pass an election and voluntarily allow a union on property to represent you. Is this true? Actually yes, the National Mediation Board does allow a company to voluntarily accept (in writing) a union chosen by the majority of its workers onto its property. Is this probable? No. What company would voluntarily invite a union onto the property unless it was an in-house union controlled by the company? If Colgan was willing to allow a union on the property without you fighting for it, would you really need a union to begin with? The voluntary recognition clause does exist, but the likelihood of it being invoked by Colgan is highly improbable. A quick resource for questions regarding the NMB is http://www.nmb.gov/representation/faqs-ola.html.

Remember, not only stay strong, but more importantly stay informed. We look forward to talking and meeting with you during the Q&A sessions being held in EWR, IAD and IAH. For times and locations, please see our website at www.local747.org. And as always, if you have any questions, please feel free to email or call me.

Don’t let others distract you from what is truly important—the interests of Colgan Air Pilots.

Sincerely,
Ashley B. Marsh
Communications Manager
Teamsters Local 747"

Um, what company would allow a union voluntarily? How about....uh, Colgan. They did exactly that with the USW and the FAs.....

Don't believe me, ask the FAs how the "vote" went. Sure the company allowed the USW in b/c it was less of a threat than the AFA, but they did it.

Don't know about everyone else, but I'd be a little wary of a union that was pushing to represent me and didn't know things about other unions at the same company.

I actually responded to her...

Ashley,

I find it interesting that you say "Don’t let others distract you from what is truly important—the interests of Colgan Air Pilots."

Yet I have not seen any list of IBT Teamster Organizers here at Colgan. Are you on our seniority list?

Seggy

:)

I actually responded to her...

Ashley,

I find it interesting that you say "Don’t let others distract you from what is truly important—the interests of Colgan Air Pilots."

Yet I have not seen any list of IBT Teamster Organizers here at Colgan. Are you on our seniority list?

Seggy
She's sounds like she's part of the IBT, not any of the organizers.

She's sounds like she's part of the IBT, not any of the organizers.

Exactly.

No one from Colgan has said they are on the IBT Organizing Committee. All information has been from her. The Colgan OC is extremely public.

Exactly.

No one from Colgan has said they are on the IBT Organizing Committee. All information has been from her. The Colgan OC is extremely public.
Do you think management is trying to get you guys to bring in the IBT vs ALPA. I mean this whole IBT thing was planted somehow into the pilot group.

I think it's very important for everyone at Colgan to take notice of the fact that this email wasn't written by a "rep." It was written by an IBT employee. With the IBT, the employees run the union, not the membership. With ALPA, the members run the union and the employees work for you. Do you want a bunch of desk jockeys who don't understand your job running your union?

Choose wisely.

Ashley.web.jpg
Ashley Marsh

She is part of the IBT local 747 staff. As an ex-Colganite and now part of the teamsters "brotherhood" let me give you some advice. Vote ALPA. I would bash the IBT more, but I dont want to be threatened for treason! Somehow they got the names of about 150 of our members that have been vocal out ousting the teamsters and they got calls and/or letters saying it is treason to talk about getting rid of the union and against the by-laws. No joke. Seriously guys vote ALPA, say it with me now, ALLL-PAA

As a mechanic in a former job, i was under the IBT umbrella.

I have not a clue where my dues went, nor what they did for me, besides allow me to attend training classes for certification. Something about the motors we worked on in boats were "truck" diesel's, and the training centers could not train non IBT emplyee's or some crap.

Complete bs. they took my 1.7% and didn't even send me a sticker. I had no CLUE who to go to if i needed anything. As far as they were concerned, we were small, and pretty much didn't count. But if i didn't pay, i couldn't train, therefor couldn't work. I don't realy want to be robbed again by the same outfit.

Fool me once, shame on me... ( you know how it goes)

More ridiculous ######## from the IBT.

We know better.

Did you actually read it? Obviously, I'm pushing for ALPA over there, but I really don't think anything that was said in the letter was wrong or bashing of other forms of representation. As far as I can tell it was just factual information about how the process works.

I have dealt with Ashly and she was very courteous, respectful and professional.

However, it is a fact that Colgan recognized the weaker of 2 unions conducting a drive at Colgan for the flight attendants. It is a possibility that they will choose the weaker of the two unions for the pilots. Especially if they are convinced one way or another there will be a union this year.

It is in management's interest to have a weaker union. It is in the pilots interest to have the stronger one.

Did you actually read it? Obviously, I'm pushing for ALPA over there, but I really don't think anything that was said in the letter was wrong or bashing of other forms of representation. As far as I can tell it was just factual information about how the process works.

One of the main factors was she points out that along the lines of "what company would just allow a union without a vote?" when Colgan did EXACTLY that. Now, that fall directly into my definition of "wrong" when you say something won't happen when it already has, just to another labor group.

What would you like?

Me to say that it's not of a ridiculous nature to have an employee from the IBT, not a member, not someone on the organizing committee, sending out this type of communication?

Hence, it's ridiculous.

I don't think too many of us around here would take too keenly to an ALPA staffer, who isn't a pilot, who hasn't worn a uniform, and who isn't typed in any transport category aircraft sending us communication on how the process works. And yet - it happens, and is still equally ridiculous.

A pilot's union . . .of pilots. Not MBA graduates, and not middle level staffers who have never been in the shoes that they supposedly support.

Is that And? enough?

Well, IF what she is saying about the internal policies hold true, I don't think we're in any danger of IBT wanting to represent us. There's no way 65% of the pilots here are in favor of IBT. In fact, most everybody I've talked to lately is pro-ALPA (except TD, he just doesn't like unions). I'd say right now we're looking fairly good, just need to keep up the good work.

Back