IBT at Colgan?

Great, that is the direction we need to take as far as I am concerned. I don't need a union that will give me the number to that truck driving school should I be furloughed in the near future.

Here's something else to consider. I know we're all harping on the IBT authorization card, but here's some hard evidence that doesn't appear (I'm not a Lawyer) to allow that type of card.

This is an excerpt from the NMB representation manual (describes exactly how an election will be conducted).

"The language on authorization cards must be unambiguous and the NMB must be able to determine the employee’s intent. In an accretion application, the authorization cards must be unambiguous and state clearly the sole purpose of the card. The NMB will not accept authorization cards requesting a representation election as support for accretion applications or certification by card check. Cards which both request an election and authorize the applicant to represent the employees will also not be accepted as support for accretion applications or certification by card check."

Just so you have the comparison, here is exactly what the IBT authorizationi card says:
"I authorize Teamsters Local 747 of the International Brotherhood of Teamsters Airline
Division to request the National Mediation Board to conduct an investigation and a
representation election and / or to represent me for all purposes under the Railway Labor Act with regard to: (1) collective bargaining over rules, rates of pay and working conditions; (2) grievance handling; and (3) protection of my rights under Section 2, Third and Fourth of the Act."

This just doesn't seem kosher to me. At least we might have some recourse if the company decides to persue this.

Just be happy the red flags are going up now and not in two, or three, or any number of years down the road when something real fishy occurs.

Okay, so let me get this straight. The IBT cards are combo election/vote for IBT cards? You're right. They'll get tossed by the NMB. It goes "We want a union." Then the NMB says, okay you can have a representation vote, who do you want. Then everyone votes for the union they want. Never made it to step two last year b/c of the 49/51% split.

Prettymuch, but the main point is that Colgan shouldn't be able to use those cards to voluntarily accept the Teamsters as the pilot's union (like they did with the USW).

IBT = BAD IDEA

The IBT is like a needy girlfriend that you can't get rid of. As soon as you try to dump her, she starts threatening to run up your credit cards and call any future girlfriends. Just look at how hard it has been for pilots to get rid of the useless Teamsters, and I can't say if we'll do any better at getting them gone. They really sell the kool-aid to oblivious people.

Back