IAH info

cj4pilot

I am trying to decide if I should pursue an A&P mechanic position with Colgan in IAH. If any one could point me to some decent, but reasonable areas around IAH that would be great. I have my commercial-multi cert and was trying to finish my CFI when I lost my current job. Also If anyone might be able to debate IAD vs. IAH as well that would help. I am leaning towards IAH because of the ease of getting back to SoCal every once in awhile. Yes I know all the flights are full and I'd be behind mainline in priority, but one can dream can't they. Thanks for the info in advance.
CJ4Pilot (I wish)

IAH is a lot better than IAD. A lot cheaper to live in. The flights from IAH to California aren't constantly full, some strategery and it is easily doable.

I just moved from Houston to Northern VA and I can tell you my rent more than doubled. Houston is cheap....really cheap. And its not that bad, if you can take the heat. Some good areas near the airport to live and stuff to do. Just have to drive around and check it out for yourself. And as far as the flights, dont kid yourself. Loads arent bad right now dependingon where you are going. A little flexibility and planning and its a piece of cake. I am from the IAD area so I can attest that if I didnt have family in NOVA id live in IAH.....pm me with questions.

Are ya serious?

Some people love to take a drive out to some mountains and go hiking and camping. Some people like winter weather, if just for a portion of the year. Some people hate humidity unless they're at a nice beach. Others like a big city that has lots of different cultures in it.

I think we can all agree Houston has none of that.

Not that I would never live there myself because there are positives and negatives like anywhere but I don't think it is debatable as to why it is so inexpensive. Not to mention the possibility of a nasty hurricane each season, and this season did include one unfortunately.

Yeah, there is a reason I moved back to VA, and its not cuz i was displaced. Pros and cons of living there....you will save money over NOVA though.

And that is?

I couldn't tell you the exact reason, but everything has a reason right?

Let's start with supply and demand. Houston is definitely a sprawling city with a relatively small downtown. There is a huge supply of houses, during the last 5 years they've built and built...See "McMansions."

Crime
Traffic
Pollution
Sprawl
Heat
Humidity
Obesity
Losing Sports Franchises
Muddy rivers/lakes/oceans

Other than those things though, it is perfect.

Houston is where I grew up, and will always be "home". Yes, the summers are brutal, but the winters are pretty nice.

Traffic is bad, but no worse than any other large city.

Sprawl is one of the reasons the houses are so cheap - overbuilt and covers a huge area.

Pollution - yes

Obesity - yes, but there are also pretty girls there too.

Losing sports franchises - the Texans have never accomplished anything. The Astros were in the WS a couple years ago. The Rockets have won two Championships and have a great team this year.

Besides that, you will have the privilege if living in the greatest state in the union. Houston has great people and is a dynamic town. Houston has been knocked down before - got hit hard in the 80's when oil crashed, storms, etc. Houstonians always pick themselves up and build back better than existed before. Wonder why there aren't a steady stream of whines after Ike? Because the people in the Houston/Galveston area are too busy cleaning and rebuilding to whine. Crime in Houston has always been bad - but how many reports of looting did you hear about after Ike? I love the people of Texas in general, and the people of Houston in specific. Everyone in Texas looks down on Houston - Dallas is snobby and pretentious, Austin is hippy, San Antonio is touristy...but Houston is the biggest, richest, and most important city in one of the most important states. There is a reason for that.

Besides that, you will have the privilege if living in the greatest state in the union. Houston has great people and is a dynamic town. Houston has been knocked down before - got hit hard in the 80's when oil crashed, storms, etc. Houstonians always pick themselves up and build back better than existed before. Wonder why there aren't a steady stream of whines after Ike? Because the people in the Houston/Galveston area are too busy cleaning and rebuilding to whine. Crime in Houston has always been bad - but how many reports of looting did you hear about after Ike? I love the people of Texas in general, and the people of Houston in specific. Everyone in Texas looks down on Houston - Dallas is snobby and pretentious, Austin is hippy, San Antonio is touristy...but Houston is the biggest, richest, and most important city in one of the most important states. There is a reason for that.

Yeah...no doubt, you're from Texas. ;-)

Houston is where I grew up, and will always be "home". Yes, the summers are brutal, but the winters are pretty nice.

Sprawl is one of the reasons the houses are so cheap - overbuilt and covers a huge area.

Pollution - yes

Losing sports franchises - the Texans have never accomplished anything. The Astros were in the WS a couple years ago. The Rockets have won two Championships and have a great team this year.

You are talking about the armpit of Texas, aren't you?! ;):D

Yeah...no doubt, you're from Texas. ;-)
You say that like there's something wrong with that.:panic::hiya:

You are talking about the armpit of Texas, aren't you?! ;):D

You say that like there's something wrong with that.:panic::hiya:

Nothing wrong with being proud of your state...I'm merely pointing out that it's a texan saying it's the greatest state. I'll say Texas is the greatest state for Texans! Fair?

I prefered putting up with the tough commute to IAH over living down there. It just wasn't for me, coming from a region that has four seasons and snow.

I came to Houston from S. Florida. I've lived from Vegas to Cleveland as well. Anywhere is home if you choose to make it that way. Personally we love it here and plan to stay. Houston has a lot of traffic but it is the 4th largest city in the United States so it is to be expected. Most of the Ike cleanup is almost done and we just kept on going here.

As for the housing market, Houston and Texas in general is one of the few places that is still appreciating at the same rate it always has. I know the real estate market very well here and it is just fine. Depending on how far you want to live from the airport and if you are single or married. I live in a place called The Woodlands. If you are single it might not be the place for you as it is more family suberbia. What is most important to you? There are places close to the airport that are nice. The Woodlands is roughly 35 minutes to the CAL parking lot. I never minded the drive but I didn't have to do it every day like you will.

As for the Mcmansions....yes, housing is fairly cheap here. For $500,000 you could have 4500sqft unlike other parts of the country where that gets you a 60 year old shoe box. We have close to all four seasons here just minus the snow. Summers are hot but no worse than anywhere else I've lived. Your money goes further here so you get used to the lifestyle you can have on less. If you want snow, fly to it on vacation with the money you saved and have fun in it instead of shoveling it.

RJMore...True, IAH does have some seasons, but really not noticeable especially to someone who's grew up with 4 very distinct seasons. Just driving around today the foliage is incredible, some of the most beautiful things in nature can be seen just looking into the woods. You just don't get that color down there or Florida. Lot's of pine trees there, not big maples and oaks.

At least for my kids I want them to know what it is to have hot summers, cold snowy winters and the feeling that come with a new spring season. Walking home from school and seeing crocuses popping up after the snow has cleared....Snow days from school, taking the sleds out and spending all day building forts. Trudging through the leaves going trick-or-treating...Yet still have hot summer days to go to the beach. To me those changes and seasonal things were among the great things growing up. To just always say, "I want it hot out," is a little boring and I'll wait for that time when I'm 60+ yrs old.

Pollution - yes

I was born there but moved when I was 2. It's pretty amazing how slummy harris county inside of beltway 8 is though, aside from river oaks, west university and maybe a few places along westheimer. For all its faults, I'd probably move back there if I knew anybody, but I don't.

Houston has a huge cultural life to it actually. World class museums, music, and shows make it only second to NYC to the amount of cultural events going on in the city. So whoever says Houston has no culture is not quite correct.

Back