I miss SOCAL

sixpack

socal-gps.jpg

I really miss flying with Socal Approach.
We just don't have the same airspace up here in Oregon
ooo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As the Offical Ambassador to SoCal, I invite you to come back and visit us anytime
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Got any room on your staff??

[ QUOTE ]
Sixpack, I didn't think you liked SoCal that much. I guess smog provides a good substitute for clouds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually it's cloudy today and usually the entire month of June and a few weeks into May and July...pretty crummy unless you need to log some actual...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As the Offical Ambassador to SoCal, I invite you to come back and visit us anytime
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Got any room on your staff??

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey why not? Send me your app...we're pretty loose spenders out here
tongue.gif

I tried! I tried to live there permanently but the company that I was interviewing with decided that they wanted to be gobbled up by another company.

Bastards!

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still miss SoCal after the earthquake today?

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I'm stuck in country-a*^ Tennessee....I lived in backward-a%$ North Carolina for 5-1/2 years....I would take Cali and an occasional earthquake over snow, ice thunderstorms and annual hurricanes anyday!!!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Do you still miss SoCal after the earthquake today?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those that are born and raised in the CA never get it out of their system.

I still think of 10 acres in the Sierra foothills overlooking the San Joaquin. Ahh!

Besides, I'd take the threat of earthquakes over snow storms, hurricanes, tornadoes and sink holes any day

[ QUOTE ]
Sixpack, I didn't think you liked SoCal that much. I guess smog provides a good substitute for clouds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was flying in Socal just before the fires started. Visibility was reported as "3 socal miles". Seems that most of the airports do their best to remain VFR. Spotting an airport through smog and haze must be a skill that takes some time to acquire, because I couldn't see the runway until I was more like 1.5 miles.

The neat thing about Socal is the variety of flying. If you want Approaches down to minimums, just head towards the beach airports. If you want mountains, you can take-off from KRAL at 1000msl and be within 20 minutes of 12,000' peaks. Airports: LAX, ONT, LGB, VNY, BUR, SNA, to name a few ... all within shouting distance.

You gotta hand it to the controllers at Socal Approach. The do an incredible job with huge traffic loads, yet they are among the most helpful controllers in the land.

Yeah, I do love flying in Oregon. And I do like working with Seattle Center. But I have to say, there's a pace in Southern California that I sometimes really miss.

Hell yeah! I would happily trade the occasional earthquake for the snowstorms, freezing rain, hurricanes, tropical storms, tornadoes and so on we get here in the DC area.

There's no such thing as perfection, so earthquakes are the price you gotta pay for living in a place where you can do the weather forecast from March to October in one word -- gorgeous. Okay, so there's June gloom, but it burns off by noon and then you're looking at a gorgeous day instead of a hazy, hot, and humid day with a chance of afternoon or evening thunderstorms!

[ QUOTE ]
so earthquakes are the price you gotta pay for living in a place where you can do the weather forecast from March to October in one word -- gorgeous.

[/ QUOTE ]

A.M. clouds, afternoon sun!

Yup yup! I only lived in San Diego for six years, but man, those six years must have really worked their way into my system. The rest of my family loves the east coast, and here I am, saying, I want to go home. They tell me that I've spent more time on the east coast than the west coast, and I'm like, so what? It just feels like home.

Gee, Webber, when I saw the title to this post, I thought you were referring to me.

Happy Holidays to you and the family.

T

T:
You'll always be a part of the Socal airspace. I'm sure that Chautauqua will have a base in VNY soon, and you'll be the chief pilot for that base.

Happy Holidays to you too T.
-CW

[ QUOTE ]
I still think of 10 acres in the Sierra foothills overlooking the San Joaquin. Ahh!

[/ QUOTE ]The San Joaquin valley??? Therapy, Doug. There are people who can help you!

I too miss SoCal! I've been in this hell hole they call Florida for over a month, and it SUCKS! I'm not looking forward to Summer either. My home is San Diego and it will always be my home. Plus Florida drivers drive waaaay too slow. The speed limit is 45 mph and they'll drive 30-35 mph in a pack like one big train. I miss the fast traffic.

Back