I miss SOCAL

[ QUOTE ]
Plus Florida drivers drive waaaay too slow. The speed limit is 45 mph and they'll drive 30-35 mph in a pack like one big train.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, your first problem is that you live in freakin' LAKE MARY!! Dude - what's the average age there? Nearly dead?

Drive into Orlando, Tampa, Miami - you'll get you fast traffic back.

Aww, dude, worst story I ever had that deals with blue hairs, q-tips, whatever you want to call them happened in Tampa. I was on the Causeway on the way to meet with some consultants, and in both freaking lanes, there were some q-tips going about 30 mph. I'm like, come on, Aunt Bessie, pull over to the right so I can go at least the freaking speed limit, but nope, I had to deal with the blue hairs all the way across the Causeway!

Ah, yes the greener grass is always on the other side of the fence. I remember years before I moved to Cali; dreams of perfect weather, broad expansive highways, economic opportunity. But, the dream was, dreams can be, illusory.

The reality of California is a somewhat less rosy picture. High Crime, even higher taxes, Government regulation that would choke Linda Lovelace. Real estate costs that are beyond reason and the means of about 75% of the population. Oh sure, you can buy a home in one of the outlying areas, then you can make a 2+ hour commute daily. And don’t for a minute think that commute is ever going to get up anywhere near the posted speed limit. Plus, I’ve been to third world countries (including Detroit) that have less garbage thrown on the roadsides than California. For all the talk about it being so beautiful, many of the people here have no respect for where they live.

The possibility of Earthquakes doesn’t even get on my list of reasons to avoid California.

Like waiting in lines? I hope so, because if you move here you’ll wait in line plenty, and if you’re really lucky when you get to the front of that line the person waiting on you might even speak English (but their attitude will still be surly).

Other costs are higher too, food, gas, insurance. How about paying $500 per year just to license your car (not even a new one). I pay more for California grown produce than do my parents who are living in the Midwest. What’s up with that?

Don’t send your kids to public school, that is unless you want them to be indoctrinated about (insert special interest/social programming here) rather than learning to read and write. (They’ll learn all about how Columbus Invaded America destroyed the peace loving native cultures and enslaved all those he couldn’t murder and essentially burned Eden to the ground; just don’t ask them to spell Columbus or when he actually committed his special crimes against humanity, because that’s not in the curriculum)

Think flight instructors are having a tough time economically everywhere else, You can multiply their woes by shear orders of magnitude here. My heart goes out to anyone trying to build time and experience here as a CFI, it’s akin to financial suicide.

The weather is the only positive benefit that I can see after having lived here for over 6 years of my life. But, in the overall analysis, I’d take the snow and the rain and more than anything else the people and the quality of life in the Midwest any day.

California is like a dead fish in the moonlight; from a distance it shines, but up close it stinks.

Thanks for the rant, I feel better: More eggnog Honey.
wink.gif

Why am I not surprised that we'd get a political rant from you about how California sucks?

You know, there IS a reason why people are willing to pay half a million bucks to buy a crackerbox in California. Even if I were to accept your rants as the truth -- I don't, but I don't feel like debunking them right now -- so what?

Sure, you can buy a freaking 100 acres in the middle of Wyoming or Montana for the price of a townhouse in LA, Orange, or San Diego counties.

But it'd be in Montana or Wyoming.

[ QUOTE ]

Sure, you can buy a freaking 100 acres in the middle of Wyoming or Montana for the price of a townhouse in LA, Orange, or San Diego counties.

But it'd be in Montana or Wyoming.

[/ QUOTE ]

And that would be heaven.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
(They’ll learn all about how Columbus Invaded America destroyed the peace loving native cultures and enslaved all those he couldn’t murder and essentially burned Eden to the ground . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

But isn't that essentially what happened??

I think it’s called revisionist history. Rewrite the facts to support the politically desired outcome. Simple fact is Columbus didn’t Invade America, it just happened to be in the way of where her was going (the Far East). Columbus was just a guy trying to make a living; he certainly isn’t a criminal, just a man who happened upon a place none of his contemporaries had found yet.

I wouldn’t consider the Inca’s or the Maya to be particularly “peace loving” cultures. No body back then had any idea that native peoples would have no immunity to what were in Europe common ailments. Plus they gave us syphilis and tobacco in return, so their revenge still takes its toll.

Those of us who love California don't love it because the real estate is cheap. We don't love it because the commute to work is easy. We don't love it because the taxes are low.

We love it because we don't have to say, "Yall", "Reckon", or "I'll tell you what"!!! We love it because the people are tolerant of things that are different!! We love it because....well, it's California!!!!

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Arrgh! Statistics!

So lets see, 19.09 people out of each 100,000 people in Wyoming chose to assume room temperature of their own volition. That would equal a total of about 95 people (give or take a few).

While in California 11.12 people per 100,000 decided upon the same course of action. That equals 3336 Californians who removed themselves from the tax rolls, as opposed to less than 100 from Wyoming.

So, in total California has more suicides than Wyoming, in fact Californians are killing themselves at a rate of 35 to 1 when compared to persons living in Wyoming.

Statistics are the devils workshop. Great fast response on the research though.
grin.gif

I would assert that California isn't as tolerant as they pretend to be. But I forget, tolerance is only for those the politically correct crowd chooses.

Example: Drug addicts need to be coddled and treated because they’re addicted and thusly victims. Smokers, on the other hand are to be driven from public places, ridiculed, fined and shunned because they are a threat to everyone else’s health. Funny, I don’t recall the last time a nicotine addict robbed someone to get a fix or harassed a passerby for cash.

Or another line of what passes for logic here in the Golden state; Homeless people crapping on the sidewalk are exercising their right to defecate and it’s our fault because we (the taxpayers) don’t provide enough public restrooms. As if the rotting feces of intravenous drug users poses any less threat to public health than secondhand smoke.

What passes for logic in California is just asinine by any other definition.

Well, the reason that the stats are reported per 100,000 people is because you really can't directly compare California, with a population of 30 million, with Wyoming, with a population of 525,000. Apples and oranges doesn't begin to describe it. Not even apples and kumquats. More like apples and gasoline.

You have to normalize the statistics otherwise they are useless. That's why it's reported as per x number of inhabitants.

The whole point is that as a percentage of the state's population, more people choose to off themselves in Wyoming than in California.

And I figure you'd use that stat to prove to me that more people go to heaven per 100,000 people in Wyoming than in California.

After all, if you off yourself, you go to heaven.

grin.gif

Heaven or Hell, I'll take my chances and stay here until nature takes its course.

I would'nt give either God or the Devil the pleasuer of my company by any route other than nautral selection.
grin.gif

Back