I have to start flying more....

jskibo

Done
Just got back from 4.2 hours of approaches, holds and XC time along with my bi-annual.

Looking at my logbook is sad. License since 1995, 140 TT and that was only my second bi-annual :(. I'm slacking!

So this year I have the following scheduled:

More XC and approach work, check out in a J250, different clubs / FBO aircraft -15 hours

Instrument wrap-up: Sep 23 to Oct 1 -25 hours

High Perf /complex in mooney M20F: Oct 2 -8 hours

Seaplane: Oct 6/7 @Traverse -6 hours

Multi Engine: Last week Oct -8 hours

That should put me at 210. Was thinking of finding someone to split 50 or 60 hours of Twinkie time with in Nov / Dec.

That will get me to commercial mins.

I was thunking maybe ATP to knock out the CFI /CFII / MEI? Should I do the commercial local or at ATP too?

Suggest the cheap route! stay local where plane rental is cheaper. Keep a eye out on the boards for me to post time building trips and maybe you can come along with me.

BTW, ATP CAN be cheaper than local, and the equipment is in good condition and standardized. ATP comes in cheaper even than Sheble in many cases.

Just evaluate your options objectively. ATP is at least decent training for most things, so you can use them as a benchmark. Just make sure the numbers add up.

~-Fox

BTW, ATP CAN be cheaper than local, and the equipment is in good condition and standardized. ATP comes in cheaper even than Sheble in many cases.

Just evaluate your options objectively. ATP is at least decent training for most things, so you can use them as a benchmark. Just make sure the numbers add up.

~-Fox

ATP is only good if you like teaching yourself. They only teach what you need for the test and nothing more.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus that ate your iPhone.

Gotcha, I'll look for the local solution for now. Maybe spend some more at the Muskegon flying club.

No debt through all these rating, all cash at least through CFI/CFII/MEI.

ATP is only good if you like teaching yourself. They only teach what you need for the test and nothing more.

I do not agree. I've done all my flying part 61 local flight schools until I decided I wanted to get my commercial multi. ATP has a very detailed syllabus and they DO teach beyond the test. A bit. I incurred no debt, as I paid in cash, so I fail to see the validity of that point, and I was very satisfied with the availability of aircraft and instructors, the quality of the equipment, and the quality of the staff. I have had many part 61 local flight school instructors who were far worse, and almost all of the aircraft I've flown when training under part 61 was in terrible shape by comparison.

Predominately, ATP teaches the test and checkride material. Unfortunately, my experience indicates that almost all flight instruction is "teach to test", or a combination of "teach to test" and passing on accumulated wisdom which is often wrong. I have had the pleasure and privilege of flying with a few VERY fine instructors, who took the teaching part seriously and possessed a wealth of knowledge far above and beyond the standard, and I've seen enough to know that that's by far the exception rather than the rule.

I have about four hundred hours at this point, and only 32 of those were at ATP. That said, I'm considering going there to finish up my CFI/CFII and MEI. They're $2000 cheaper than Sheble for what I'm looking to do, and I found their system exemplary for teaching the fundaments.
Bringing all of what I've studied myself, I'm confident that their program will get me essentially what I'm looking for.

I would like to reemphasize- I consider them the benchmark for part 61 instruction. That doesn't mean they're the best, but they're surely not the worst, and they're not (by far) the most expensive.

Again, whatever you do make sure the numbers add up and follow your gut.

Also, I started to say "Don't go into debt", but I would like to revise that to "Never pay interest."

-Fox

That was not my experience either, though it may differ by location.

Sent from 1865 by telegraph....

Just got back from 4.2 hours of approaches, holds and XC time along with my bi-annual.

Looking at my logbook is sad. License since 1995, 140 TT and that was only my second bi-annual :(. I'm slacking!

I didn't see where anyone else has, so I'll be the jerk.

biennial - once every two years

biannual - two times a year (although some dictionaries are starting to include biennial as a second definition of biannual)

I didn't see where anyone else has, so I'll be the jerk.

biennial - once every two years

biannual - two times a year (although some dictionaries are starting to include biennial as a second definition of biannual)

Ahh, you got me. I'll take .1 off my hood time as a tithing compensation......;)

Ahh, you got me. I'll take .1 off my hood time as a tithing compensation......;)

No biggie. People hear it incorrectly so much that they accidentally adopt it without realizing they have. I try to save the world, one pilot at a time. :)

So this year I have the following scheduled:

More XC and approach work, check out in a J250, different clubs / FBO aircraft -15 hours

Instrument wrap-up: Sep 23 to Oct 1 -25 hours

High Perf /complex in mooney M20F: Oct 2 -8 hours

Seaplane: Oct 6/7 @Traverse -6 hours

Multi Engine: Last week Oct -8 hours

That should put me at 210. Was thinking of finding someone to split 50 or 60 hours of Twinkie time with in Nov / Dec.

That will get me to commercial mins.

I was thunking maybe ATP to knock out the CFI /CFII / MEI? Should I do the commercial local or at ATP too?

Sounds great!
Git er done!

So BFR is unacceptable? What kind of new-age, hippie, G1000 dependent, never-heard-of-an-NDB approach nonsense is that??

Sorry. They changed the title of the section in the regulations several years ago. I don't remember exactly which year. The flight review is still required biennially, but it's called a "flight review." With that said, only the most neophyte flight instructors won't know what you're talking about.

If a flight instructor didnt know what a BFR was, I'd run the other way... Or I'd tell 'em "It's a FR... that I need B."

Back