I Hate This Industry

Copperhed51

I went to the train station to catch my train to St. Louis for my "interview" with GoJet. I sat in the parking lot and called friends to try to figure out if I should go through with it or not. I had just been in court defending myself against a BS criminal charge and was all dressed up so I changed into some more comfortable clothes in my car and ate a sandwich. Just before I left to go to the train station, I talked with an old friend who is in law school now and became pretty excited about going there myself.

Sitting in the parking lot, it was 10 minutes until the train was to arrive at the station to pick me up. I backed my car out of the spot and drove to a bar and drank some beer. I pondered just how ####ing stupid the airline industry is and how ####ing stupid the little games pilots play are. We're all too caught up in our egos and trying to pretend to be a better person than the next guy. I should not have to feel guilty about getting a job. Thanks to all of you guys, I probably just ended my flying career. My dream since I was probably about 5 years old is done. All I ever wanted to do was follow in my dad's (RIP) footsteps and become a pilot. For now I'm leaving the country for a year or so to get away from this retarded country and the people in it. The airline game is retarded and I'm done playing it for now.

You know, I came on here over four years ago thinking I knew what the best way was for my career. I didn't and listened to the advice on here, saving myself from a lot of issues.

We told you what you didn't WANT to hear. It should not deter you from your goal. Have you thought about CFIing? There are a lot of good paying gigs out there.

Yeah, I've thought about CFI'ing but honestly I'm fairly excited about leaving the country right now so that's what I'm set on doing. I have a year to think about law school and to study for the LSAT or consider reviving my flying career. I'm young so I might as well go on an adventure right now so I don't regret not doing so later. I have no idea if I've made the right choice or not but I've made a choice and have a direction to go for now so it's a little comforting. I hope you people are right about all this crap.

Yeah, I've thought about CFI'ing but honestly I'm fairly excited about leaving the country right now so that's what I'm set on doing. I have a year to think about law school and to study for the LSAT or consider reviving my flying career. I'm young so I might as well go on an adventure right now so I don't regret not doing so later. I have no idea if I've made the right choice or not but I've made a choice and have a direction to go for now so it's a little comforting.

:yeahthat:

Good plan. Live life for a while, relax, and you'll be suprised how much easier it will be to see the big picture and where you fit into it all.

Well, I'm glad you didn't go through with the GoJet interview, even if your attitude about it could use some improvement. You should be proud of yourself for having a little dignity and self-respect. As you said, you're young and have plenty of time. You can still have a great career in this industry. Don't let one downturn in the industry turn you away from a dream of flying for a living. The industry will improve (probably soon, if oil continues to drop), and things will back to gangbusters in no time. I've seen a few industry cycles already. Take my word for it: things will get better.

Congratulations on not making the biggest mistake of your life. Although you may not believe it now, you'll look back on this and thank everyone here for their sound advice. Good luck in whatever you end up doing.

Good luck to you. What kind of opportunities wait for you overseas? I've gone overseas a lot for extended periods of time, and I guarantee you it'll open your eyes. I like being away.

Go be a pilot, be a lawyer, be both. What ever makes you content. Also, congrats on choosing the beer. You might thank yourself later.

Also - remember. . .and remember it now. . .there are HUNDREDS, if not THOUSANDS of flying jobs that do not involve the idiocracy that is airline flying.

Find one of them, and be happy.

oh so true and i think a lot of pax pilots tend to forget that there are literally tons of non-pax flying jobs out there looking for good pilots.

have a good time overseas!! enjoy it...no regrets! :D

We're all too caught up in our egos and trying to pretend to be a better person than the next guy. I should not have to feel guilty about getting a job. Thanks to all of you guys, I probably just ended my flying career. My dream since I was probably about 5 years old is done. All I ever wanted to do was follow in my dad's (RIP) footsteps and become a pilot. For now I'm leaving the country for a year or so to get away from this retarded country and the people in it. The airline game is retarded and I'm done playing it for now.

When in doubt, blame others. Works every time.

Happiness is a choice, you've made yours. Good luck in your future endeavors but don't expect those of us who love our jobs to cry into our beer with you.

Happiness is a choice, you've made yours. Good luck in your future endeavors but don't expect those of us who love our jobs to cry into our beer with you.

Who cries into beer? This guy observed opinions on both sides of GoJet, and decided not to take the plunge. Sounds to me like the JC gears worked well here. LSAT sounds like a good long-term goal, too.

Who cries into beer? This guy observed opinions on both sides of GoJet, and decided not to take the plunge. Sounds to me like the JC gears worked well here. LSAT sounds like a good long-term goal, too.
I understand all that but he still made the decision to take the interview. The proper thing to do would have been to follow through on his decision, gain a little interview experience, and then decline any offers that might come. Instead he chose to burn a bridge, not a smart decision that shows a lack of character.

And you're right. The tears would go better with tequila.

:yeahthat:

Copperhed posted at his wits end. Give'em a break.

Peace!

Stay safe. . .and wrap it up.

the_wrap_it_up_box.jpg

Back