I had a piloting error.

Cessnaflyer

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
We are going to have a baby!

Two pee sticks and now along by 7 weeks. We have our first appointment on the 15th before I leave for sim to see what's happening in there.

My wife and I don't want to have the baby in Hawaii though so it looks like I am going to become a commuter pilot.

Congrats on the baby! My condolences on commuting, but it certainly sounds like a good plan. I've heard back and forth on fredex or big brown is a good commute to Hawaii. Not sure where they depart from though.

Congrats on the baby! My condolences on commuting, but it certainly sounds like a good plan. I've heard back and forth on fredex or big brown is a good commute to Hawaii. Not sure where they depart from though.
Thanks!

The commute isn't too bad since there are many options getting back home. The problem I am having is finding a crash pad. $1000 rent will kill me if I can't find one.

I was actually thinking about doing that sort of thing with a little camper.

I used to think that sounded like a horrible idea. Then I flew with a guy who uses a camper as a crashpad here in IAD and honestly it sounds much better than rotting away in a crashpad. His is a truck that has a camper in the back. He has a membership at the Anytime Fitness that is right outside of our crew lot. He goes there in the mornings to work out and shower. After he flies in from home, he hangs out in the crew lounge talking to people (small, close knit base) until its time to go to bed. Then he heads out to the camper.

Sounds pretty nice to me actually. I HATED sitting around my crashpad in ATL. The worst part was the forced awkward social interaction with people you don't know talking about work, even though you just finished a ridiculous trip and don't want to talk about it anymore.

OP: Congratulations!
I used to think that sounded like a horrible idea. Then I flew with a guy who uses a camper as a crashpad here in IAD and honestly it sounds much better than rotting away in a crashpad. His is a truck that has a camper in the back. He has a membership at the Anytime Fitness that is right outside of our crew lot. He goes there in the mornings to work out and shower. After he flies in from home, he hangs out in the crew lounge talking to people (small, close knit base) until its time to go to bed. Then he heads out to the camper.
How do you think my dad survived first year pay at Western? ;)

Congrats! The wife and I are about 25 weeks along and it is quite an adventure. I'd recommend a book called 'The Expectant Father." Simple and quick read... sums up everything for the next 9 months.

Sorry about having to start a commute... I just gave up my commute two months ago and I can't say that I've ever been happier. (Except about the SoCal traffic!) The camper idea sounds like a good one... if I ever had to commute into LAX I would probably join the camper community in the airport parking lot.

Congrats! The wife and I are about 25 weeks along and it is quite an adventure. I'd recommend a book called 'The Expectant Father." Simple and quick read... sums up everything for the next 9 months.

Sorry about having to start a commute... I just gave up my commute two months ago and I can't say that I've ever been happier. (Except about the SoCal traffic!) The camper idea sounds like a good one... if I ever had to commute into LAX I would probably join the camper community in the airport parking lot.
The wife has already bought the book for me.

Other things people have told me is to try renting out peoples sailboats while they are away. I am hoping that someone has a lead on a crash pad that would let inter-island pilots live there for 10 days at a time.

Congrats! I got real used to talking to her belly while she was pregnant with out daughter...It took me a while after she was born to stop that... #kindaweird.

Congrats!! That is awesome news.

Just curious, why don't you want the baby in Hawaii? Does she prefer to be by family or is it other reasons?

Congrats!! That is awesome news.

Just curious, why don't you want the baby in Hawaii? Does she prefer to be by family or is it other reasons?
Family and the lack of room. I don't think it would be easy having a baby in a 300 sq ft studio in Waikiki.

Author's Note: I've never been an expectant father and I've never been to Oahu.

That said, might it be easier to find something else further out on Oahu? Driving to work vs a trans pacific commute would ensure you're home a lot more and don't have the stress of commuting.

That said, being closer to family is golden.

Just a thought.

Oh, and congrats!

Why don't you guys want to have the baby in Hawaii? Afraid Republicans will question his/her citizenship if he/she runs for President? ;)

Author's Note: I've never been an expectant father and I've never been to Oahu.

That said, might it be easier to find something else further out on Oahu? Driving to work vs a trans pacific commute would ensure you're home a lot more and don't have the stress of commuting.

That said, being closer to family is golden.

Just a thought.

Oh, and congrats!

This place isn't really what we would call an ideal place to live. We are from the middle of nowhere and there really are no true open spaces in Hawaii. The school system is about as good as letting the kid join a gang, housing is ridiculous and I've had many a time a 2 hour commute on an 8 mile drive.
Why don't you guys want to have the baby in Hawaii? Afraid Republicans will question his/her citizenship if he/she runs for President? ;)
This place is the closest thing to a Communist America. They have taxes for everything. People are extremely lazy.

I don't want to offend anyone but I am sure I just haven't found the good people yet.

What about an inter Island commute? Last I looked HAL had like 20 round trips a day between HNL and the other Islands.

Again, not questioning your decisions, just looking to learn.

This place isn't really what we would call an ideal place to live. We are from the middle of nowhere and there really are no true open spaces in Hawaii. The school system is about as good as letting the kid join a gang, housing is ridiculous and I've had many a time a 2 hour commute on an 8 mile drive.

This place is the closest thing to a Communist America. They have taxes for everything. People are extremely lazy.

I don't want to offend anyone but I am sure I just haven't found the good people yet.

The school system is that bad? Is it like that on all the islands? How about private schools?

Back