I got out also! :D

Just an update for you guys! At $26/hr, base pay without overtime IS approx 70k/yr! This includes a 6% yearly bonus, holiday pay, night shift differential, automatic built-in overtime from 12 hour shifts, and training for being a Fire Team Member/Fire School. It's a great gig! :)

Thanks! You just have to apply online to the companies with postings that don't require the degree or any experience. There are a little more then a handful out there. From there you will be invited to some sort of testing, which is mainly mostly mechanical aptitude testing and some basic math depending on the company. After that, they will invite you to interview and either choose from there or after the interview, they will invite those who passed to a second testing called the "COBRA" test and then they choose their candidates from there. If anyone gets invited to a testing, please PM me, I will help you out as best I can. :)

I certainly don't want to minimize the disruption that a furlough and loss of income at that level certainly is, but at the same time I'd gladly quit my job tomorrow if it meant I could be a UPS furloughee.

For someone who took the move package to ANC there is certainly work to be found up there if one is willing to pound the pavement and broaden their horizons a bit. The CP at a DC-6 operator up there mentioned he had hired a bunch of AS furloughs into the FE seat on the -6.

But still, given the profits Brown is raking it it was a raw deal.

I'd just as soon not work for UPS, the check is good for pilots there, but man, they treat their people pretty poorly in my experience on the ramp - hell, anyone I've known who ever worked there has said it's a crappy job except for the pilots. Do I really want to go to work someplace like that? I'd really have to think about whether I'd like to sell my soul for a paycheck so-to-speak.

It's just a job. Second year F/O's make more than most legacy Capts. Thanks to the IPA, it's a pretty good gig to fly here. The problem with UPS is it's mentality of how to treat the worker bees. If they seem a little medieval, they are. It's worked for them since 1903, so they see little reason to change. This is why unions are historically more prevalent throughout the workforce compared to some other places. Personally, I'm happy to have ended up at Brown vs Alaska or United which were my top choices in the late 80's.

I'm sorry for the 44. I hope they get back soon but I think the union is handling the situation as best as possible things being as they are. They will be back due to attrition in a couple of years, worst case. Having the number here is a pretty big deal in the overall scheme of things.

I'd just as soon not work for UPS, the check is good for pilots there, but man, they treat their people pretty poorly in my experience on the ramp - hell, anyone I've known who ever worked there has said it's a crappy job except for the pilots. Do I really want to go to work someplace like that? I'd really have to think about whether I'd like to sell my soul for a paycheck so-to-speak.
I don't think it's "selling your soul" to go work for someplace who's other employees with less valued skillets are treated differently. I've been working on a UPS ramp for a while now and I've not had not one problem with any ramper or Supervisor since I've been there. Sure, some are drones that don't think much outside the box, but all in all they're just doing a job, one that they signed up for, and if they don't like, they're free to move on.

So yeah, would I go to work there knowing ANC is junior? Heck yeah.

LOL! Basically, Chemical Plants and Oil Refineries run off the same technology(pumps, compressors, distillation columns, cooling towers, boilers, flares, etc). When plants are running, they are usually creating some sort of product(oil, gas, plastics, chemicals, etc). When they are running and creating the product, they call this the "process" or short for the process that creates the product. Plants run 24/7.

When you are a Process Operator, you are usually assigned to an area of the plant that you are in charge of the process that goes on in that area. The machines basically run themselves, but if you are an inside operator(board operator) you are in charge of making sure everything stays within limits(temperatures, level, pressure, quantity) and you can make simple adjustments from the control room, sometimes you have to get an outside operator to make adjustments outside for you. If you are an outside operator, you are in charge of the same thing, but you go on checks outside(walk around making sure everthing is within limits, making sure equipment has enough oil, is running smoothly, water isn't where it shouldnt be, taking water/product samples, levels are correct from guages and dials and tempurature guages). Sometimes you will get wet/dirty as an outside operator as these checks need to be done regardless of weather outside, but you can put on a rain suit when its wet or a jacket if its snowing. When everything is running smoothly(which is most of the time), you do your checks and then see if there is anything you can help your fellow operators with, and thats it! If something goes wrong though, you need to know how the plant works in your area so you know what to bypass/close/open/shut down (ie: opening/closing valves) as to not effect the process. Then you write up the faulty equipment for the mechanics to work on when they get in.

The company hires contractors that do all the hard jobs/manual labor so it really is a great job. There is no stress at all, because if something goes wrong, you always have your fellow operators to help you out if you arent sure of something or if you need help on something. Its all about team work in plants and everyone usually does a great job of helping out each other.

You don't bring any work home with you because the plant stays at the plant! LOL! You take a medical exam every year(company paid) and if you dont pass one year because of any health issues, they can put you in a different area of the plant or disability and dont have to worry about getting your ticket taken away from you from any uncontrollable health concerns like in aviation. You wear a jumpsuit and steel toed boots to work, so no more ironing, putting a tie on(or zipping one on LOL), or polishing your shoes.

Topped out operators are making anywhere from 9k-14k a month at my plant(It was September and most of the operators that I work with were already over 100k for the year). Yearly bonuses can be anywhere from 6%-12%(depends on safety stats, the highest i've seen was 18k). If you can't get hired without experience, you can get a 2 year Process Technology degree an pretty much apply for any operator position with the tons of companies that are hiring regularly out there. If you already have a degree and have the general classes out of the way, I hear it is only 9 classes to get the degree. I was going to pursue the degree myself, but was very fortunate to land this job I have currently without one. Hope this helps! :)

Looks like we both do about the same thing, for about the same pay, with about the same off time. :)

I've been at it for 6 months and love it.

Heck yeah, Tram! Im loving it over here also! These jobs are not easy to get and are most abundant in Texas, but they sure do love pilots. Haha.

Update for you guys. First full year here and I made 80k and didn't really work any overtime until October. Easy work. Next year will be a huge bonus, 2 raises, and easy over 100k. There isn't any exaggerations here, this is a great job for those looking to get out. I couldn't imagine doing anything else and wish I jumped ship earlier. 55 and retired, here I come. :)

Update for you guys. First full year here and I made 80k and didn't really work any overtime until October. Easy work. Next year will be a huge bonus, 2 raises, and easy over 100k. There isn't any exaggerations here, this is a great job for those looking to get out. I couldn't imagine doing anything else and wish I jumped ship earlier. 55 and retired, here I come. :)

We are hiring another class in Dec of 2015 if you want to get in at the nuke level..

Pay isn't going to triple, but it's some better.. ;)

Aw I would Tram, but I don't have enough college for that. Petrochemical plants are far less regulated than Nuclear plants are, so things are pretty laid back where I am at. Maybe I should start taking online classes again. Lol.

Sounds like a sweet gig! Is this job pretty secure? Layoffs? Any chances they may decide to ship your job overseas and open a factory there? Is it union? How does management treat you? Any idea where one would start looking for a job like this or should I just Google it? Appreciate the info. Thanks.

After being furloughed for many years, I have just landed a job as a Process Operator for a global chemical/refining company! Average first year pay is anywhere between 70k-100k with overtime. Starting pay is anywhere between $23/hr-$29/hr, depending on the company. After first year, average pay is between 100k-160k. Max pay is usually reached within 3 years and is usually around $35/hr-$40/hr. Work is 12 hour shifts with any hours over 8 hours being automatic overtime(1.5x). If you come in for a day of overtime, it is 1.7x base for 12 hours. 7th day straight or working on a holiday is 2.2x base for 12 hours. I'll be working the "Dupont" shift schedule, but there are many different Operator schedules out there. For the Dupont schedule, every 28 days you will work 7 days and 7 nights and have 14 days off, which 7 of those off days are called "long change" because it is 7 days off straight, every month.

Dupont Schedule broken down per week:
Nights, Nights, Nights, Nights, Off, Off, Off
Days, Days, Days, Off, Nights, Nights, Nights
Off, Off, Off, Days, Days, Days, Days
Off, Off, Off, Off, Off, Off, Off

Great benefits, 401k with match, great pension plan, and great yearly bonus. The work is basically just monitoring guages/instruments to make sure the machines are operating properly. The most labor you will have to do is climb a ladder, hookup a hose, or turn a valve. I have not met an operator that was unhappy about their job. I think this would be a great option for any pilots trying to get out as I got this job with no college degree, no job experience, and no networks. Any other operators on here? Hope this helps.
beer.gif

Is this job pretty secure?.

It's much more secure than anything with wings.

Layoffs?.

It has happened in the past, but operations guys are the last to leave and a layoff usually means just going to a different job in the same plant. Shell game with employees.

Any chances they may decide to ship your job overseas and open a factory there?.

Not currently.

Is it union?.

Yep and nothing like ALPA, it's a union that accomplishes things. ;)

How does management treat you?.

Not bad.

Any idea where one would start looking for a job like this or should I just Google it? Appreciate the info. Thanks.

TVA.gov

Back