I got out also! :D

Adobo Pilot

After being furloughed for many years, I have just landed a job as a Process Operator for a global chemical/refining company! Average first year pay is anywhere between 70k-100k with overtime. Starting pay is anywhere between $23/hr-$29/hr, depending on the company. After first year, average pay is between 100k-160k. Max pay is usually reached within 3 years and is usually around $35/hr-$40/hr. Work is 12 hour shifts with any hours over 8 hours being automatic overtime(1.5x). If you come in for a day of overtime, it is 1.7x base for 12 hours. 7th day straight or working on a holiday is 2.2x base for 12 hours. I'll be working the "Dupont" shift schedule, but there are many different Operator schedules out there. For the Dupont schedule, every 28 days you will work 7 days and 7 nights and have 14 days off, which 7 of those off days are called "long change" because it is 7 days off straight, every month.

Dupont Schedule broken down per week:
Nights, Nights, Nights, Nights, Off, Off, Off
Days, Days, Days, Off, Nights, Nights, Nights
Off, Off, Off, Days, Days, Days, Days
Off, Off, Off, Off, Off, Off, Off

Great benefits, 401k with match, great pension plan, and great yearly bonus. The work is basically just monitoring guages/instruments to make sure the machines are operating properly. The most labor you will have to do is climb a ladder, hookup a hose, or turn a valve. I have not met an operator that was unhappy about their job. I think this would be a great option for any pilots trying to get out as I got this job with no college degree, no job experience, and no networks. Any other operators on here? Hope this helps.

It's not really too much overtime considering each shift is 12 hours. I am starting out at $26/hr. myself, so at 12 hours thats almost $500 bucks for 1 day of overtime just starting out. Plus, you get many pay raises throughout training with most operators reaching top pay in 3 years. Top pay at my plant in 3 years should be close to $40/hr. After you top out, you get cola raises which is approx 3% each year.

Sounds like no fun? Well, its not a labor intensive job, just long hours. Vacation? I only work half the month with 7 days off straight every month! Thats like a vacation every month! Plus, I'll have a pension plan to look forward to and I'll be home every night if I ever want to see my future children grow up one day. It sure beats regional life being on short call reserve getting paid peanuts with no retirement to look forward to. Sitting at the airport getting per diem. Pilots always say "I got 15 days off a month!"... yeah, but they fail to tell you they are also away from home 15 days a month. To each his own, but if you are looking to get out, this is a great career move. I will soon be able to buy my own airplane and fly for fun "recreationally". Haha.

Oh, and the companies that hire without any degree, experience, or networks is Exxon and Lyondell. I believe there are more out there with most companies being in Texas.

You have to get to the right airline. I am home everynight and haven't flown in ~40 days now.

Dang! Congrats on that! That is definitely not the regular when it comes to a regional airline. Not even close. I was lucky to have 6 days a month in my own bed when I was at a regional, but then again, I was a commuter.

You have to get to the right airline. I am home everynight and haven't flown in ~40 days now.

Yep, there are great gigs out there. I've only spent more than 12 hours away from home maybe four times this year. I've flown a grand total of 190 hours. For the past few months, I've only worked about 5 days a month. Of course, that will all change when the evil Texas overlords complete their assimilation of us, but I'm enjoying it while I can.

I just rode on a UPS 744 from ANC to SDF. The crew was ANC based and their line was 3 SDF turns from ANC for the month.

Sign me up.

Congrats on the career change but it sounds like watching paint dry to me. And you have to live in that small state known as Texas. ;)

OTOH, I know a guy who climbed the long ladder to Brown to get that cush job and was out on his ass less than a year later. Still not recalled, IIRC.

OTOH, I know a guy who climbed the long ladder to Brown to get that cush job and was out on his ass less than a year later. Still not recalled, IIRC.
I certainly don't want to minimize the disruption that a furlough and loss of income at that level certainly is, but at the same time I'd gladly quit my job tomorrow if it meant I could be a UPS furloughee.

For someone who took the move package to ANC there is certainly work to be found up there if one is willing to pound the pavement and broaden their horizons a bit. The CP at a DC-6 operator up there mentioned he had hired a bunch of AS furloughs into the FE seat on the -6.

But still, given the profits Brown is raking it it was a raw deal.

The work is basically just monitoring guages/instruments to make sure the machines are operating properly. The most labor you will have to do is climb a ladder, hookup a hose, or turn a valve. I have not met an operator that was unhappy about their job. I think this would be a great option for any pilots trying to get out as I got this job with no college degree, no job experience, and no networks. Any other operators on here? Hope this helps.

I know who you are!!!! :D

homer-work-738657.jpg

Keep chasing the brown dream guys! Making brown would definitely be worth it, but not by taking the chance at being a regional lifer. I was just throwing another gig out there for those looking to get out. I'm looking to retire early and live off deadstick's buddy passes to supplement my travel. LOL!! Deadstick, send me a PM. Have I worked with you?

Nice success story. Looking at getting my Masters degree and getting out of the Regional Airlines career myself.

Thank you!! The quality of life since getting out is amazing so far! I get half the month off and i know my days off a year in advance lol!! If you want more info on being a Process Operator, let me know. I don't have any degree. What are you planning on doing?

Back