Huh?!

[ QUOTE ]
Or the "drive-up" ATM's with braille!

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't they just a standard ATM with a road next to it - that would explain why they have braille.

[ QUOTE ]
Must be for the handicapped pilots! HA!

[/ QUOTE ]
How is that even remotely funny?

I helped a gentleman yesterday at my FBO who owns.... and flies... a Mooney. He is in a wheelchair a paralyzed below the waist.

He has special hand-controls mounted in his aircraft that operate the rudders.

Funny now?

Of course it’s still funny, because it contains the essential element of humor: The unexpected
grin.gif

Well, my slant is most certainly different.

I not only do not find it funny - I find it insulting, ignorant and uneducated.

Having grown up in a household with a father paralyzed from Multiple Schlerosis - I tend to be a tad more sensitive to these jokes. I admit that.

However, I cannot tell you how many people who thought it was "funny" or convenient to park in a handicapped spot, or block one - came back to find their car missing because I had it towed.... at their expense.

Bet they didn't expect that. And it was funny as hell!!
smirk.gif

Works both ways, I guess.

To me, jokes about the handicapped = not funny. At all. Period.

I certainly didn’t mean any offense. A bit of background info: My Father has suffered from diabetes since I was a small boy, he’s been blind for the past 7 years. My nephew was wheelchair bound due to MS since birth (all complicated by diabetes and Down syndrome), he passed on due to diabetic coma when he was just 12 years of age. So, I can understand why some take offense, because at times I do too.

But, I save my anger for those who exhibit disdain for the handicapped and believe me I’ve seen plenty. That said, I think humor is the most therapeutic treatment available. My father jokes about his blindness and it’s a great icebreaker for people who don’t see a person beyond the disability, it’s humanizing. When we park in a handicapped space and somebody makes the snide remark that he doesn’t look handicapped, he replies “oh, I didn’t see the sign” or when he’s asked if he wants a Braille menu, he says “this feels great, how does it taste” (he doesn’t read Braille because he has no feeling in his extremities) These little exchanges help my dad deal with his disability, and lets others know that there’s still a vibrant person inside this failing body.

Just a differing view.

I'm pretty sure that photo is a fake, but either way it makes about as much since as disabled parking at military bases (or here at the academy for that matter!)

Back