How to get the young excited about aviation?

I agree with you with regards to a Flight Squadron. However, the right Cadet Squadron can make a real difference. And flight lessons scholarships are a bonus
I went to a cadet squadron when I was a teenager because I was interested in aviation.

They had us marching around Tyndall AFB in BDUs playing soldier.

I got called in for "discipline" because my hair was too long. (Hi, trans kid here. No, I do not want to cut my hair. No, I don't want to specify why, because it's disqualifying from actual flying (at the time). No, I'm not joining an actual military.)

Needless to say, I did not care for the experience.

I went to a cadet squadron when I was a teenager because I was interested in aviation.

They had us marching around Tyndall AFB in BDUs playing soldier.

I got called in for "discipline" because my hair was too long. (Hi, trans kid here. No, I do not want to cut my hair. No, I don't want to specify why, because it's disqualifying from actual flying (at the time). No, I'm not joining an actual military.)

Needless to say, I did not care for the experience.
It’s not for everyone that’s for sure! However, It IS an auxiliary of the Air Force and they mandate the uniforms and compliance. MOST Cadets will not join the military but the lessons learned from a good Squadron will last a long time.

Sounds like exactly the kind of kick in the ass kids need nowadays.
THIS is going to hurt…..exactly!!

5 minutes on a popular pilots group on Facebook or a forum is enough to deter anyone from this profession. Grumpy old men making the same jokes all of the time. I really do think JC is an exception.

I see that you've been on PJP.

I see that you've been on PJP.

The Falcon vs. Gulfstream memes sure are welcoming. [Sarcasm] I’m all for some good humor, or rivalries but they have no business in professional aviation.

Back