How to get buy as a broke CFI!

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont want people to comment on UR post, then DONT POST IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dun kare if u comment on mi post, as long as it makkes cents and u no wat ur talking aboot, which u dunt. Someday if u evar get paid peenuts to fly an aiwplane, u will undrstannnd. Kapeesh?

Huke'd on fonics werkd fer me too.

I have a similar story. When I got laid off last year (right around this time) I had to sit down and figure out what I really wanted to do. Well, I knew that I wanted a roof over my head, so that meant I had to come up with the money for that. One of the best things my parents ever did for me was force me (okay, they didn't force me since I was 21 at the time and they couldn't force me to do anything) to take the money left from the funds we saved for my college and buy a small one bedroom condo. It has saved me a lot of money over the years, since I only pay $700 or so a month instead of the $1200 a month it would cost to rent here!

I also knew I wanted to fly, so I had to figure on spending money to keep on doing that. That wasn't cheap. I also knew I had to pay to put food in my mouth, although since I took a job waiting tables and bartending at a restaurant, that was a little easier.

And I had to keep insurance on my car (which is paid for) and my house. And there were some things that I really didn't want to give up unless I had to, such as my DSL. Plus, I knew there were going to be some job hunting expenses, especially since I really wanted to head out west.

But I cut everything else out. The ski trip back to New Zealand I wanted to do last summer? Gone. The new computer I wanted? See ya. The handheld GPS? Not happening. Drinks with buddies on Friday and Saturday night? Not unless they were buying.

It was weird. I was able to cut a lot of crap out of my life and found that I didn't really lose much in the way of having a great time! And now that I'm employed again, I am finding saving money and keeping expenses under control a hell of a lot easier!

Oh, by the way, if I hadn't found a job in September, my total pay for the year was looking a lot like a first year regional first officer's. So if this spoiled (I'll admit it) kid can do it, so can anyone.

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't really lose much in the way of having a great time!

[/ QUOTE ] That is a really big point that a lot of people just don't get. I had a really hard time with Corbin at first becuase he just felt like his quality of life would be nothing if he couldn't every new DVD, video game, CD, etc. that he wanted. Well it took a long time to wean him off these type of purchases and you know what we have to show for it? 90 CD's covered with dust. 30 DVD's covered with dust. 50 video/computer games covered with dust. He still plays some of them a lot, but for the most part, he'd rather play with his son or spend time with me, and there sits probably about $3-4K worth of little plastic circles that don't get used. For anyone that is having a hard time but thinks you NEED to have these things in order to enjoy life-you CAN do without them! It would feel much more rewarding at the end of your training to come out of it w/ zero debt then it would to come out of it with junk you don't use and debt to pay. But I agree, that DSL IS a MUST HAVE! Lol.

ESF:

Not sure if you are aware of this, but there was no ill intention on my original post. Unfortunately, you and your friends felt as if I was taking a cheap shot. I was not. If this is how you feel, my apologies.

Its kind of funny how this post turned into an English forum; don’t you think? Never knew we had so many English Professors in the forum.

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if you are aware of this, but there was no ill intention on my original post. Unfortunately, you and your friends felt as if I was taking a cheap shot. I was not. If this is how you feel, my apologies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I sort of did. But no worries. My post(s) were mostly in jest to begin with (except for the part about not flying). Being a smartass doesn't translate well to written word.
tongue.gif

That was a sweet post photopilot, thanks for passing that along! I actually was just thinking the other day of starting a post of just tips (I still might do this) for living super cheaply as a first year fo , cfi ,or student. I never hear anybody talking about my lifes #1 rule. Eat Oatmeal, and lots of it, but not the instant crap. It costs about 7 cents for a bowl and it is decent filling and I don't mind the taste. For a Saturday night or if you are rich a Monday morning you can throw on a couple raisins. I think I'll go have a bowl right now.

p.s. Alofts new avatar is maybe the best ever? Lol!!

[ QUOTE ]
50 video/computer games covered with dust. He still plays some of them a lot, but for the most part, he'd rather play with his son or spend time with me . . .

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a better man than me....if the girls don't wanna play video and computer games with me, they'd better curl up with a good book for 2-3 hours per night.....
grin.gif

Thank goodness I can talk them into it!!!!
smile.gif

I have just the opposite problem I just got my girlfriend a GameCube for an (early) xmass present and when she plays it, which is often, she starts yelling and cursing like a sailor (nothing against you navy guys out there). Anyhow, it scares the heck out of me. Sorry, random ramblings are due to sitting at work with nothing to do.

Ethan

[ QUOTE ]
I have just the opposite problem I just got my girlfriend a GameCube for an (early) xmass present and when she plays it, which is often, she starts yelling and cursing like a sailor (nothing against you navy guys out there). Anyhow, it scares the heck out of me. Sorry, random ramblings are due to sitting at work with nothing to do.
grin.gif

Ethan

[/ QUOTE ]

You should buy the place you found her...you could sell those, you know.....

I would have to agree with MrSkyKingRon... Your advice about school choices did sound a little preachy and demeaning to those who chose the more expensive route.

Knowing what I know now, I probably would have gone to a state school. The school I had chosen was very expensive, but being the first in my family to go to college, we thought going to an expensive flight university with the reputation of being the best in the world was what I was supposed to do. Keep in mind that families are fed a bunch of BS by enrollement offices to get kids to go to thier schools.

I am not saying that I didn't recieve a great education... I thought the education at my school was the best I could find anywhere. I can honestly say I couldn't find the SAME education elsewhere at a cheeper price, but I could find something that would suffice to get me into an airline. The choice really depends on what you want out of your education. If you want an indepth aviation education, go to an aviation school, but if you just want a degree in something to meet the requirement for an airline then that is your choice. It is not necessarily a smarter decision... it is just a decision.

I suppose I will find out whether or not airlines care about what school you came from, but from my experience (interning with an airline) it seemed as though a lot more students came from these high priced pilot universities than were chosen from state schools.

Sorry, another rant and rave.... I tend to get a little worked up when people bash the way I have done things.

Lord knows saving money is a good thing when you can. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It looks like Beans and Rice will be on the menu for quite sometime (shhh.. don't tell my dad...
wink.gif
he gets mad when I skimp on food and stuff- he says he is the one who is supposed to do that (man I love my dad)).

If anyone has any suggestions on what they did about consolidating student loans and such... I would be exstatic to here any other options. Keep in mind, my problem is in private (alternative) loans, not federal.

Anyway... thanks again... (pardon any spelling or gramatical errors.. I obviously did not major in english at a state school
wink.gif
)

Marilyn

Back