How to get buy as a broke CFI!

Totally agree with you! When I was working outside the home I started looking at things ans saying "I had to work 5 hours to earn the money to buy that and was it really worth it? I could have takne 5 hours off of work and not had it". That put a lot of things into perspective for me. We cut down cell phones to low minutes, took the extra channels off the tv, took the fancy stuff off the phone (except the anti-solicitation cause I love that) I won't give up the internet though unless we are desparate! Lol. I did make fun of Corbin the other day for picking a dime up off the ground, I guess I won't make fun of him any more.
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey ESF, You ever thought about doing something besides Flying Stupid Airplanes?

Doing something else that would maybe keep ur GAS on and put food on the table until u did have enogh money to FLY?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey jackass, read what I wrote, only this time try to comprehend it. I don't pay to fly, I GET PAID to fly. And when I don't fly, I don't get paid. And if I get a part time job doing whatever, guess what happens? I get fired. Why? Because when I do fly, I don't get enough notice of trips to please anyone. Save your advice for someone who gives a •!.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We quit looking at things as costing us money and started looking at them as costing us life energy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious, this looks awfully familiar. Is this from from some book or...It sounds alot like a book I read some time ago., "Your Money or Your Life"

[/ QUOTE ]

Booyah!
grin.gif
I didn't remember the name of it so I figured I could edit the post after I got home tonight and checked my shelves. You beat me to it and saved me some work. It's out of print, but if you can find a copy, it explains some good strategies for investing as well. I certainly would learn all you can about money and investing rather than going off of this one book, but for those who are interested, it can be a life and finance changing reading experience. A highly recommended read that we picked up at a used book store for a couple of quarters. Maybe Amazon has it, too?

[ QUOTE ]

It would be neat if everyone could pitch in with ideas of what they do to cut costs because a lot of people here need to save money. Some one might have an idea that hasn't been thought of yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't exactly a ground breaking idea, but here is an option that may work for some people out there who have the time, location, and expertise.

Last summer I bought an older home a block away from a university. It was a FSBO and was severely undervalued. I'm in the process of turning it into a duplex (which isn't as hard as I thought it would be). I plan on renting it out to two couples who are going to school. Given the location, charm, and amenities (large yard, garage, laundry) I will have no problem getting $500/mo. for each unit. My payment is $466/mo. so my gross will be $534/mo.

Perhaps it's a little counter-intuitive to assume debt to avoid debt, but for me it made sense. If/when I leave to go to school I can give a responsible tenant a cut on rent to keep the yard and manage the other unit. While I'm gone I will be receiving a modest income and building equity simultaneously. During the summers or when circumstances require I can always move back into one of the units and essentially have free housing (a safety net for any career helps).

The interest expense is also tax-deductible. Plus, most lenders view rental income favorably when securing additional debt (e.g. student loans).

I must qualify this advice by stating that it takes a patience to find a bargain and it helps if you are good at DIY home improvement stuff. I went through all the scenarios, and at worst I'll brake even - most of my other investments don't have this quality.

BTW I bought the home from a 90yo widower. I thought that might amuse a few folks here
wink.gif

I have even better advice if its possible, i know its not possible for all. The way I get by is I still live at home.. I did my flight training right here in slc so I figured why trade living in a nice house for a crummy apartment... If possible its best to just live at home until you get a job somewhere else, that way you can have enough saved when you get a regional job or whatever. If i can get a job at skywest and be based in utah then I will just live at home until im off the low first year pay then ill be in good shape. I know its not possible for all but if you can living at home saves thousands.. I work with a guy who lives in his parents basement, he has a kid and his wife wouldnt even need to work if she didnt want to off the cfi salary....

ESF......Im not even going to stoop to ur level.

U're not worth my time.

If you dont want people to comment on UR post, then DONT POST IT.

KEEP ur sad story to urself.

talk about being Cranky. Sure wouldn't what this guy Flying ANYTHING.

Jon ... OH MY GOD. Adding the "yo" to all those "ur"s would not require much extra typing, and would make you sound like less of a total moron to people reading your posts. No offense ... but most people on this board are probably more inclined to take advice if some effort is made for it to be spelled properly, use proper grammar, and be presented in a respectful manner. People who don't care about spelling or grammar drive me nuts ... especially this "ur" crap ... UR is a prestigious university in New York state, not the opposite of "mine".

</rant>

As to living cheaply ... like cosmo, as a CFI I moved in with Mom. It really cramped my social style (women in their 20s don't want to date a guy who still lives with mommy!) but I survived for a year and a half until I got a job where I could afford to support myself. The guys I instructed with all had somebody else to support them ... two of us lived with our parents, one guy lived with his grandparents, two guys had wives with good jobs who supported them, and one guy lived with his wife in his in-laws' basement! Do what you have to in order to make it to the next level in this business.

FL270

[ QUOTE ]
UR is a prestigious university in New York state, not the opposite of "mine".

[/ QUOTE ]

UR has a nice pair of hooters on the site

Jon-
I would take your comments more seriously if you didn't use "ur" as every other word...ESF is paying his dues to pursue his desired career, which in my opinion, is very respectable. If you dream of becoming a pilot someday, you'll have to pay yours also. When you reach that point someday, I hope you enjoy getting made fun of everytime you talk about your finances. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

-Adam

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I bought the home from a 90yo widower. I thought that might amuse a few folks here
wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah, way to screw an old guy. You're my hero.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jon ... OH MY GOD. Adding the "yo" to all those "ur"s would not require much extra typing, and would make you sound like less of a total moron to people reading your posts. No offense ... but most people on this board are probably more inclined to take advice if some effort is made for it to be spelled properly, use proper grammar, and be presented in a respectful manner. People who don't care about spelling or grammar drive me nuts ... especially this "ur" crap ... UR is a prestigious university in New York state, not the opposite of "mine".

</rant>

I was thinking the same thing. First of all, you started right off with your post title spelling "buy" wrong. It would be "by". Also, when you speak of yourself by saying "I" or "I'd", don't use the small i. I could go on there's, oh yea, you wrote "theirs" instead of "there's". I could go on, there's more, but I don't want to play third grade teacher. I'm sorry, but that lazy gen-x/internet spelling bugs me.
crazy.gif

Your advice as other's have said would be worth more if it seemed to come off a bit more intelligently. Try an online spelling and grammer course, u'd bea glad u did. Dude.
wink.gif

I didn't quite like your preachy tone, quite honestly. It seemed as though your advice was demeaning those that have chosen a more expensive solution to their goals. I could very well be wrong. If so, then give thought to the spelling and grammer advice, it may pay off in the future. Peace.

Why do all the posts in this website just end up being arguments between two people, you guys just need to lighten up a little.
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
RPM, I take it u dont have a GirlFriend?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon - Actually I do have a girlfriend, she's a boarder too and probably crazier than I am, so we get along just fine!
grin.gif

Personally, I thought the cat's post was kind of funny...
smirk.gif
. Everybody is taking such offense to it....

If I had done things right from the begining, I wouldn't have student loan debt, I'd be an ATP by now, and I would have invested in that silly company that said everyone would have car phones in 10 years, and they wouldn't be car phones anymore. And even if someone makes a fool of themselves stating their opinion, you can't knock it if it's correct. My father used to tell me that even a broken clock is right twice a day...(of course, that was before the day of digital clocks....).
grin.gif

With regards to what TheWife said...

[ QUOTE ]
We cut down cell phones to low minutes, took the extra channels off the tv, took the fancy stuff off the phone (except the anti-solicitation cause I love that) I won't give up the internet though unless we are desparate! Lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfect example of what works for some people, but not for others. I NEED high speed internet, I NEED my cell phone with lots of minutes, and I NEED cable TV with all of the extra channels. I drink name-brand beer (albeit cheap, domestic, watered-down beer). On the other hand, however, I probably eat out less in one year than most people eat in one month. I can do without fast food completely. I cook my own meals (or girlfriend does....but hey, she hasn't always been around....
tongue.gif
), and if I need to, I can live off of Ramen for weeks at a time.

So, its all based on what you're willing to do. I say, let the man have his thoughts!

I was really offended, I was just giving him a hard time. You can't make little stabs at wives and not expect to get a little stab back. It's all in fun though.

I could not eat ramen so you enjoy your ramen and cell phone minutes and I'll keep off the cell phone and have real pasta!
smile.gif

Doh! Edit: I WASN'T REALLY OFFENDED, that is what I meant to say!!
blush.gif
(Note to self-READ posts before hitting continue!)

[ QUOTE ]
I do have a girlfriend, she's a boarder too and probably crazier than I am

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. You sound just like me...a long time ago.
cool.gif

I started riding when it wasn't even cool, over 17 years ago. I still have my first board a Burton Woody out in my garage. Doesn't get much use now since I live in Florida
tongue.gif

Snowboarding is fun, but unless you are EXTREMELY good you will never make a living at it. I rode with a lot of sponsered guys (used to live in Breckenridge) and they all had one thing in common. They were poor. That gets old fast......

[ QUOTE ]
Why do all the posts in this website just end up being arguments between two people, you guys just need to lighten up a little.
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Your right. I'm lightening up. In the groove.
laugh.gif

As was said by another, it depends individually on what you want to cut out or down on. I like to spend money on my "must have" toys, but cut corners in other ways. I guess the main point is if you want to help make ends meet you may need to sacrifice some extra's and pleasures here and there. Just don't take away my new 60"LCD widescreen etc!!
crazy.gif
To have toys like that I have to sacrifice somewhere else. Rob Peter to pay Paul.

I'm not eating Ramen either. Zero nutrition. I can make meals at home that are cheap and healthy. I do like the chicken ramen the best. I used to cook my own veggies in it to give it some nutrition.

Hey RPM, I liked your advice about living on the cheap. I've even thought about living in a van for a while. Why not? I know a guy who spent two years at grad school doing just that. He parked his VW Bus in a free parking area by Lake Washington and rode his bike to the University of Washington everyday, showered at the gym at school, then went to class. He studied at various coffee shops or the library and rode his bike "home" at the end of the day. Two years later he was an architect and had no debt from school.

When you're single and need to save money, why not?

Oh, T.V. is not necessary. At all! Zero!

Consume less, live more!

Back