How to fill in SF-85P correctly...

LinzoATC

I will be attending the Chicago PEPC and I have a few questions for filling out the the SF-85P correctly.

1. For Employment-I have maintained the same job for 4 years (still there now). The week before I got my PEPC invite, I took 2 new part-time jobs to try something new. However, they were both terrible and I quit both within a month of being hired. Should/Need I still list these?

2. For Police Record-What should you put down for action taken? Do they want the zip code of the "enforcing agency" or where the incident happened?

3. For Illegal Drugs-If I used marijuana, but did not inhale, should I declare this? ......... I kid, I kid :D

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

I honestly think they just want the entire seven year time period covered with no gaps or atleast gaps that can be explained. I completely covered the seven years even with some part time jobs overlapping but I left off a couple jobs I held for just 2-3 weeks. I left them off because I really have no information on them and they were so brief. I don't think it is an issue. If they want to inquire about those jobs they can, but the numerous jobs I listed should suffice.

I will be attending the Chicago PEPC and I have a few questions for filling out the the SF-85P correctly.

1. For Employment-I have maintained the same job for 4 years (still there now). The week before I got my PEPC invite, I took 2 new part-time jobs to try something new. However, they were both terrible and I quit both within a month of being hired. Should/Need I still list these?

2. For Police Record-What should you put down for action taken? Do they want the zip code of the "enforcing agency" or where the incident happened?

3. For Illegal Drugs-If I used marijuana, but did not inhale, should I declare this? ......... I kid, I kid :D

Thanks ahead of time for your input.

1) I had a job I only worked for 2 weeks then quit. I put this down on my SF85 since it shows up on my credit report. If your job shows up on your credit report, then I'd recommend that you list it. I hear that the FAA does pull up your credit report, so you don't want to give them any surprises.

I've had a few addresses I only lived at for a month or two. I really wanted to leave these out... but then again, if I left it out I would feel very uncomfortable. So it's probably better to fill out as much as possible. (Who wants to be looking behind their shoulder later on down the road?)

2)Action taken: I would write the penalties. If it's just a fine, then how much. Did you spend a few days in the slammer and get probation?
For my incident I wrote the name and address of the court and date of the court action.

Also: You may have to declare any court actions on your medical form. Item 18 (w) asks for history of nontraffic misdemeanor/felonies. You should then name the charge, and date of conviction in the explanation box.

The key to the background stuff is to give them all the information you have. They really just want you to tell the truth, barring any felony convictions or the like you should be fine.

The email confirmation for my PEPC date in Chicago stated

"Also, if you have had any alcohol or drug related arrests, please bring a copy of the arrest record and/or court records."

This comment was listed in the section about Security Clearance and the Form 85. My alcohol related offenses were 8 years and 10 years ago so they will not be listed on the 85 but will be listed on the 8500.

Do you think I need to bring a copy of these records? Also, what exactly are they looking for? I found some court records online that basically show the charges, filing dates and fines but there is no police report.

The email confirmation for my PEPC date in Chicago stated

"Also, if you have had any alcohol or drug related arrests, please bring a copy of the arrest record and/or court records."

This comment was listed in the section about Security Clearance and the Form 85. My alcohol related offenses were 8 years and 10 years ago so they will not be listed on the 85 but will be listed on the 8500.

Do you think I need to bring a copy of these records? Also, what exactly are they looking for? I found some court records online that basically show the charges, filing dates and fines but there is no police report.

Just listing the charge, date, city/county, and case number should be fine. If they want more information they have the ability to do so.

Well my question is similiar... but for the SF-86. For the jobs you've held in the past, if you worked for a company, say Sam's Club or such. What would the appropriate code be? Other? Self Employment? I would assume it wouldn't be self-employment, as you're working for a company, but I'm not sure! :crazy:

Well my question is similiar... but for the SF-86. For the jobs you've held in the past, if you worked for a company, say Sam's Club or such. What would the appropriate code be? Other? Self Employment? I would assume it wouldn't be self-employment, as you're working for a company, but I'm not sure! :crazy:

Yes, since no other options fit you would use #9 "other" and fill in Sam's Club as the employer. As I have stated before in other posts; there is an actual person that accomplishes your investigation and they are very smart and experienced at it. Just fill it out the best that you can and don't omit anything that you know maybe damaging. Little errors like this will not create problems or end their investigation. From my military and federal service, I have filled out and been through this process several times.

Good Luck!

Here's one... my only "criminal charge" was misdemeanor trespassing (which was, what's the term, expunged/removed after one year)... should I need any paperwork for that? (Not alcohol-related, if it makes a difference.)

Also, when filling out the 85 are you allowed a "cheat sheet" with old employer's address, phone number, etc.? If it's just seven years, I shouldn't have to worry about that, though.

Also, when filling out the 85 are you allowed a "cheat sheet" with old employer's address, phone number, etc.? If it's just seven years, I shouldn't have to worry about that, though.

You're supposed to fill out before your PEPC and then you just retype it into the OPM website.

Here's one... my only "criminal charge" was misdemeanor trespassing (which was, what's the term, expunged/removed after one year)... should I need any paperwork for that? (Not alcohol-related, if it makes a difference.)

If you have a sentencing document from the court, then I suggest bringing that. (You don't have to reveal it unless they ask. And if they ask you, then you'll be prepared.)

Unfortunately you still have to reveal expunged records on the sf85/86 (to my knowledge). However under 'action taken' you'll want to state that the record is expunged.

How long ago was the criminal charge? I would say report it if it was recent, you still did it and there still may be records of it that they have access to. You could always try and not report it and play dumb and ask for forgivness if they ask you.
To me it would depend on what it was for:
1) If it was something stupid and was thrown out for a reason, you might not be called out for hiding something.
2) If it is something you know they will be concerned about they may blame you for hiding it.

Kind of a double-edged sword huh! It may be easier to call and ask and not risk it.
I don't understand what you mean by a cheat sheet.

The FBI still keeps track of expunged records.... so the FAA will probably find out.

Just like if you got a DUI expunged and commit another DUI, you'll get harsher punishment because the previous DUI still counts as a 'conviction' (i.e., the record never really disappears. It's just private employers that won't see it)

I'm also filling the SF-86 for the Chicago PEPC... This might sound like a dumb question but when it asks for the street adress of someone who knows you, do they want the physical location or a mailing address? I ask because the town I live in does not deliver mail, everyone needs to have a P.O. Box as opposed to mail going to street addresses. Same goes for information for supervisors. Are the verification forms sent to these people sent via Fed EX or UPS where an actual street address is needed or are they going to go nowhere by putting down a street address and having them mailed USPS?

I'm also filling the SF-86 for the Chicago PEPC... This might sound like a dumb question but when it asks for the street adress of someone who knows you, do they want the physical location or a mailing address? I ask because the town I live in does not deliver mail, everyone needs to have a P.O. Box as opposed to mail going to street addresses. Same goes for information for supervisors. Are the verification forms sent to these people sent via Fed EX or UPS where an actual street address is needed or are they going to go nowhere by putting down a street address and having them mailed USPS?

I would have both address and P.O. Box on hand at PEPC and ask one of the ladies there.

Ok...so let me get something straight...

Do you get a chance to explain your misdemeanor to someone in person? Or just on paper?

I have a simple assault conviction...defending myself..given unsupervised probation for 6 months and never in trouble before or after...judge stated that I did what any adult would have done in the situation..but..I was guilty according to the law. I am just concerned and not as far along in the process as some of you.

Do you get a chance to explain your misdemeanor to someone in person? Or just on paper?

I have a simple assault conviction...defending myself..given unsupervised probation for 6 months and never in trouble before or after...judge stated that I did what any adult would have done in the situation..but..I was guilty according to the law. I am just concerned and not as far along in the process as some of you.

Yes, you get to explain your issue in person and write an explanation The only catch is the person who you are explaining your case to is probably not the one who will review your case. From there someone in OKC will review your case.

if you have any paperwork or police reports that can back up this version of the story, then that would help tremendously

(if you never received a police report, then consider going down to the police dept and requesting it )

Back