Get a DEGREE. It doesn't matter if it's aviation related or not. Guys, there's plenty of aviation jobs other than pilots. Last I checked, your degree didn't decide your fate. If you're already in school then forget the aviation degree.

There are many pros and cons but I did it because financially was better for my student loans to pay for my flight training. My interest is low and now I have all my certs up to CFI paid for. No private loans or saving for consecutive years.

I loved every minute of my degree and I'll continue to post that till the day I go. Get a degree in what you want to study. Why fork out over 50-150,000 to get a degree in something you hate? You just do it for a resume? If the aviation field tanks, you'll find a job with an aviation degree. Sure some jobs you need certain degrees for but just having a BS on a resume opens MANY doors for you to fall back on.

My next advice is, don't take advice from pilots online. Take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure some will read this and 100% disagree with me and think I'm an idiot. Some will agree. We're all different. Do what's best for you and you enjoy. Not what we enjoy typing to tell you what to do.

Let's hear your theory as to why they go straight to the majors.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
You being an FO for SKW, you should know. Unless you're still under that belief that regardless of the equipment you flew in your career that the legacies won't hire you unless you had 1000pic 121 time. A best kept secret for the military pilots. But again, they deserve it.

You being an FO for SKW, you should know. Unless you're still under that belief that regardless of the equipment you flew in your career that the legacies won't hire you unless you had 1000pic 121 time. A best kept secret for the military pilots. But again, they deserve it.
Doesn't really answer my question. I never said they didn't deserve it either.

I just find it very interesting that mainline check airmen air telling me certain things about military vs. Prior 121.

Another fun fact is that there are a few military guys at the regional level. I guess that didn't talk to you find out the secret formula you speak of.

Since when did all civilian pilots have there mommies and daddies pay for their flying lessons?

I guess the folks who physically couldn't fly in the military aren't privy to your knowledge as well?

"I just find it very interesting that mainline check airmen "air" telling me certain things about military vs. Prior 121."
Enlighten us.

"Since when did all civilian pilots have there mommies and daddies pay for their flying lessons?"
Your twist on the statement. Actually did all my training civi also. Would I do it all civi again if I knew what I know now when I trained 30 years ago? Absolutely not. Most of the pilots I know who did go military have since retired with double payments while I'm still banging around on Jetcareers with arguing with "Generation-me"
So don't go insinuating to the kid that his odds at winning the lottery are better than having a successful career flying in the military. Because you are wrong.

"I guess the folks who physically couldn't fly in the military aren't privy to your knowledge as well?"
Deep, your words not mine.

"Another fun fact is that there are a few military guys at the regional level."
The first thing you have said that I do agree on. You're correct. There are a few guys at the regional. Have any idea where the rest of them are?

There are lots of ways to skin the cat. Each of you seems to be overlaying your experiences anecdotally as anec-data.

@Retired in SAN - I'm a lot closer to your age than the general mean around here, and the "Generation ME" and "millenial" remarks aren't really constructive. I get what you're saying, but it's largely dismissive to a lot of pilots here who have achieved a lot, some in service to this country, others as regular civvies. Neither is invalid.

But - as experience has taught us - you make decisions and you run with them. We took different paths. No more or less valid than anyone else's. Just different.

"I just find it very interesting that mainline check airmen "air" telling me certain things about military vs. Prior 121."
Enlighten us.

"Since when did all civilian pilots have there mommies and daddies pay for their flying lessons?"
Your twist on the statement. Actually did all my training civi also. Would I do it all civi again if I knew what I know now when I trained 30 years ago? Absolutely not. Most of the pilots I know who did go military have since retired with double payments while I'm still banging around on Jetcareers with arguing with "Generation-me"
So don't go insinuating to the kid that his odds at winning the lottery are better than having a successful career flying in the military. Because you are wrong.

"I guess the folks who physically couldn't fly in the military aren't privy to your knowledge as well?"
Deep, your words not mine.

"Another fun fact is that there are a few military guys at the regional level."
The first thing you have said that I do agree on. You're correct. There are a few guys at the regional. Have any idea where the rest of them are?

Surprisingly, I have heard that prior military guys have had "hard times adjusting to crew flying and 121 in general" they "tend to be behind the airplane" or my favorite, "there's absolutely no difference in flying ability between military and regional pilots"

I didn't twist anything about your statement. I just pulled out what you implied and made it more clear. Many young men and women including myself have taken quite a long time to finish their ratings because they paid for them their selves or in my case, I was a full time student flying on the side. Your generalizations diminish what some did to achieve their dreams.

It's also very interesting how a lot of folks on here and in the industry assume military is the only route. Since when???

How many pilots do you know, and out of those, how many military pilots do you know? Then take the total number of pilots in the USA and how many of those are military. The odds are slim. If they werent, everyone would be doing it. Can't deny that.

If my logic serves me correctly, I assume all the other military guys are at mainline. Wow....what a novel concept. Never said they weren't there or that they couldn't get there.

As a 121 legacy captain that flies with a bunch of new hires on a regular basis, there really is no differences between military and regional pilots. The defining characteristic they both have though, is a desire to excel and learn. THAT is what makes one successful.

As a 121 legacy captain that flies with a bunch of new hires on a regular basis, there really is no differences between military and regional pilots. The defining characteristic they both have though, is a desire to excel and learn. THAT is what makes one successful.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The first reply that enforces my point. Let's get back to the kids question in the beginning. Both courses of action are equally as viable depending on how hard one wants to work for it. For 21 years I hired and fired pilots and clearly, there wasn't much difference in skill set. Only in approach to acquiring those skill sets. And both directions, either civilian or military, are obtainable. But, I believed I have already stated this.

image.png

Uh am I actually going to be the first to observe that being a military officer and being a regional airline pilot are like EXTREMELY, WILDLY, ABSURDLY different jobs? Jobs which one is likely to spend a large portion of their lives doing, should they choose that path? Jobs which both have serious, real quality of life modifiers attached? This is like arguing in front of a high school student about whether Han or Luke is going to have better career expectations. At your age, what major will give you the best relative seniority in "your base" or like how to get to a major in 5.7 years or fewer ARE NOT WHAT YOU SHOULD BE THINKING ABOUT. You have no idea what you want. Not even an inkling. Go out and live a life so you can find out.

Another fun fact is that there are a few military guys at the regional level. I guess that didn't talk to you find out the secret formula you speak of.

That whole officer first, pilot second thing came into effect with a lot of those guys- with big uncle taking them out of flying jobs for a year or more before their departure.

A recent Rand study showed that historically, 70% of military pilots who don't make it to retirement end up flying on the outside as a profession.

My advice is, If you're already in school, then you must have to get a degree first. As said by tcco94, there's plenty of aviation jobs other than pilots. So after getting this degree you have one option in which you can do part time job and along with that you can take training for your pilot dream as well. That job may solve your money/training expense problem as well.

Back