how to apply to the FAA academy?

ericad161

I am completely new to the field but I am doing alot of research on air traffic control. I talked to a friend who completed training a few years ago. She said you can simply apply to the academy and train then (hopefully) get hired without having to attend a cti school. If this is true, where do you apply to the academy? any help is appreciated thanks!

Next month there will be a no experience bid on usajobs.gov. Apply there.

There has been one no experience bid each year the past two years. Last year's saw 28,000 applicants for 2,000 slots.

Good luck.

The general public bid opened on March 23 has been extended until 3/31/2015. Applicants will need to pass the biographical assessment (as revised), the ATSAT, and attend and pass the Academy. They will get their facility placement upon graduation, as is current practice. There was a rumor that those who did not pass the biographical assessment on the February 10th, 2014 open bid could not apply again. That is not accurate. Those applicants may apply again for this open bid. https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/398409000

Every day of the year, and especially on holidays, more than 15,000 federal controllers at 315 FAA air traffic facilities are on the job, guiding more than 87,000 flights every day across our national airspace system. To be hired by the FAA you need to have had 52 weeks (1 year) of experience as a certified controller in the military or complete a CTI program through a FAA approved school.

Every day of the year, and especially on holidays, more than 15,000 federal controllers at 315 FAA air traffic facilities are on the job, guiding more than 87,000 flights every day across our national airspace system. To be hired by the FAA you need to have had 52 weeks (1 year) of experience as a certified controller in the military or complete a CTI program through a FAA approved school.
Uh, no. But thanks for the erroneous random information. Trying to recruit for the now(unfortunately) useless CTI programs, hmm?

Unfortunately your information is wrong, well, half of it. The FAA got rid of the CTI announcements and went to OTS (off the street) bids, which means as long as you have a bachelors degree or a high school diploma and 3 years work experience, you can apply.

Back