How NOT to Impress Your Pilot Friends

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
We all know someone who likes to impress their friends by raising the gear with they are only 6" off the runway. Got their hand on the Johnson Bar just waiting to break ground. "My friend is taping this, I'll look so cool on YouTube!"

Another reason to confiscate ALL video tape after an accident.

I could see this if it were electric gear and he had the switch up and the squat switch unloaded during a little bounce on the grass, but how do you even do this with manual gear? It's not like he was up and settled back in, he just folded up and grinded to a stop.

If you have a reasonable airplane with a tailwheel and a large displacement radial swinging a 100+ inch prop you never have these issues, plus you always look cool and extraordinary. People jack-assing around with somewhat mundane airplanes (nosedraggers with four-bangers) trying to show off always made me wonder.

That video just reeks of "Woo! Start the camera, watch me!" :)

If you have a reasonable airplane with a tailwheel and a large displacement radial swinging a 100+ inch prop you never have these issues, plus you always look cool and extraordinary. People jack-assing around with somewhat mundane airplanes (nosedraggers with four-bangers) trying to show off always made me wonder.

I wouldn't say that...

I know of an accident involving a Beech 18 where somebody thought they would be cool and put the gear handle in the up position prior to takeoff so the gear would instantly retract... hit a bump just big enough to skip the airplane. *crunch*

I wouldn't say that...

I know of an accident involving a Beech 18 where somebody thought they would be cool and put the gear handle in the up position prior to takeoff so the gear would instantly retract... hit a bump just big enough to skip the airplane. *crunch*

And yet you overcame that mishap and now are a Captain! :p

Back