How NOT to Impress Your Pilot Friends

I wouldn't say that...

I know of an accident involving a Beech 18 where somebody thought they would be cool and put the gear handle in the up position prior to takeoff so the gear would instantly retract... hit a bump just big enough to skip the airplane. *crunch*

He was talking about the AIRPLANE being reasonable, not the jackwagon driving it.

And yet you overcame that mishap and now are a Captain! :p

Wasn't me... however, it was a check airman from the company that owned the airplane prior to the company I worked for at the time.

We just had the gear flat out fail to come down on the same airplane :)

I knew a guy who geared up a twin at a small uncontrolled field on an instructional flight. The school loaded the plane on a truck by night, hauled it into the hanger, replaced a little skin under the wings, wrote the engines and props off as an overhaul and the FAA never heard about it. The instructor was working at a regional two weeks later.

I knew a guy who geared up a twin at a small uncontrolled field on an instructional flight. The school loaded the plane on a truck by night, hauled it into the hanger, replaced a little skin under the wings, wrote the engines and props off as an overhaul and the FAA never heard about it. The instructor was working at a regional two weeks later.

Sounds worse than it is. There's no requirement to report the damage found in a typical gear up landing unless someone was seriously injured or other property was damaged. In fact, the typical damage incurred in a gear up are specifically exempt from the definition of "substantial damage" in 49 CFR 830.2, including: bent fairings or cowling, dented skin, small punctured holes in the skin or fabric, ground damage to rotor or propeller blades, and damage to landing gear, wheels, tires, flaps, etc.

Back