How long to complete all the writtens?

youresomeantome

I was planning on starting at ATP in August and wanted to know how long it would take to complete all of the writtens, including private. I'd like to finish them all before I start. I'm alotting myself 2 months of full-time study. Do you guys think that will be enough? Thanks.

Well . . . it may be possible. It took me about 3 weeks to study for the PPL, but that was with virtually zero aeronautical knowledge. The commercial took me about 2 1/2 weeks, the FOI - one night, the CFI - 2 1/2 weeks. So if you add those up, it took me a total of 8 weeks. I studied virtually every day too once I started studying for a written.

I didn't take the IFR writtens, I'm going to take them when I get down there. I would say it's possible if that's all you're gonna do for two months without working. It may start to suck after a while, but if you're up for it, try it.

Thanks Robair,

I'm planning on studying about 8 hours a day, so hopefully I'll get through all of them. It may get tedious after a while, but I doubt I'll get bored with it. Did you use the Jeppesen Private Pilot Kit? Is there a syllabus or guide of some kind that covers what materials should be reviewed from the books? Or do you just need to go through that whole Private Pilot Text?

I just took my PPL written and it took me about a week and a half to two weeks to study. Its not too bad. Just watch the King Videos and set up a schedule for yourself with some break time during the day so you dont get too burned out.

I just got the FOI Gleim book today and I am going to try and start studying that tonight. I am going out of town this weekend, so after that I am going to start with the commercial and hopefully have that done by the time I start with Robair June 2.

Dan

Speaking of these written I'm also in the same boat as you guys but I have a lot more time to get my done. So I've been looking around at different prep courses. I seen that king basically has everything Instrument through all your CFI's. (I already have the PPL written done) But what do you guys recommend? I notice they have DVD's... interactive CD-roms for the computer... ?? Any comments? Oh yea, I also was looking through a Sporty's magazine an saw they had an instrument ground course also. Any insight on this course compared to the King Instr. course? Thanks

Chad

Not sure what's going on but both King and Gleims website do not have the CFII study material available anymore. I didn't call the up yet but if you know what's happened, please let me know.

I used the interactive DVD's from King for the PPL written. They were pretty good. They aren't much different from the videos. The only advantage I really found was the ease of being able to start at a certain point without having to rewind the video or mark where you left off. The interactive portion is only about four to ten questions that ask you about the previous material watched. These same questions can be found in the book as well. I ended up getting the Gleim book at the flightshop of the local airport.

As for the difference between the Sporty's and King. It's all a personal preference on what you like better. I have only used the King Videos and the worked good for me. I know you can go on the Sporty's website and get the first DVD video for just the cost of shipping to see how you like them. You can do this for the Private Pilot and Instrument.

Dan

The following is from my post in the King's Instrument Course thread...

[ QUOTE ]
... I just ordered the King Instrument and Commercial Courses tonight. I had an EXCELLENT order rep who was knowledgeable and was interested in making my first ordering experience with King a good one.

Here's the Scoop... Because I ordered two courses the price dropped from $279 to $250 each. The corresponding Check-Ride Courses (DVD) were also discounted from $99 to $79.

I also received 6 Take-Off Videos for free as well... that was an additional savings of @ $300. For a total of @ $400 in savings!
laugh.gif
Wow...

Needless to say, I was overwhelmed and very impressed with the service. I had never ordered from them before but am familiar with their Cessna Cleared for Takeoff Software that I bought from my FBO.

Can't wait to get it all and start digging in!

Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I too am in the process of studying for ATP and hope to have my testing done prior to starting with them in Dallas in July. I am halfway through the Instrument Course, and feeling comfortable with the knowledge. I have resigned from my previous job and have two solid months to do nothing but study... My hope is to have the IR, COM, FOI, and II writtens done prior to starting with them in Mid-July.

I also ordered the Multi-Engine course from them and ASA's GPS Training software for the GNS 430's in the Seminoles. I'm hoping to be over-prepared!
smile.gif
Of course, I'm still studying the Piper Seminole Supplement from ATP as well.
crazy.gif

As far as the CFII course goes, the CFII test questions come from the the same bank as the Instrument questions... so just by studying the Instrument course you are studying for the II. Everyone has told me and it even states so in the Gleim Instrument study guide to take both tests the same day. But only if you fully intend to take your II checkride within two years or else your score on the II written will become invalid.

Lastly... go for the DVD course. It has all the interactivity of the CD-ROM course but with better video AND you can pop it into any DVD player and watch it on the big screen in the comfort of your recliner! So in a sense it is the computer based program and the video program in one.

Anyway... I spent just over $800 with them and I am not dissapointed so far... ask me again after my tests. Right now my life is aviation studying... oh yeah... family too... almost forgot.
blush.gif

Bob

why don't you guys just memorize the all the questions and answers in the gliem books? thats what there for. the tests are verbatem from the books. it seems you guys are spending a lot of extra money. i have the instrument book completely memorized. actually, i don't even have to read the question. i can just look at the answer choices and i know the right answer. anyway just a suggestion

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with JDMcfly... a fellow "Stranger"!
smile.gif

I'm actually interested in learning the concepts behind the questions. Call me silly but that's my goal. I decided against going to a Part 141 school to be spoon fed, because I believe my personal learning curve is much faster. I'd rather spend the $$ up front and have an actual Audio/Visual resource that I can always turn back to for review.

I actually have the Gleim books as well... they are wonderful resources in and of themselves, I will be reviewing them most likely the day before Test-Day, but as I stated in my other post... I'd rather be "over-prepared".
wink.gif

For better or worse... I've decided that this will be my new career, and I want to get the most out of the training possible.

Bob

i'm also interested in learning the concepts. believe me. i've read the chapters before going throught the answers and almost understand everything. some of the most technical stuff i don't really understand but that's what i'm paying my instructor for. i really don't think they expect you to be a fully proficient instrument pilot before you even go for your first flight. at least i sure as hell hope they don't! besides, at most places you don't even take your written until well into your training. i had my old private instructor sign me off for it and he thinks i'm crazy to even take it before starting. i'm all for getting a leg up but $800. WOW. i guess it's ok if you have that kind of extra cash but for a poor bum like me, no way. good luck with your training!!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
...but for a poor bum like me, no way. good luck with your training!!
cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! Understood. I'm thankfully in a financial position to pay for all aspects of my training without loans or financial aid. (Ducks to avoid the thrown tomatoes!)
blush.gif

I'm a mid-life career changer and not a struggling student... I have been there though, and understand where you are coming from. If I were in your shoes right now I would no doubt be doing the same thing. I've also learned that as I get older... I learn differently. I can no longer throw my head into the books and ace the tests the next day like I did in college, so this is the best route for me without attending a Part 141. After all, this is a decision and a risk that no longer just affects me... it will affect my family and our financial future, so I am interested in covering all my bases.
[ QUOTE ]
i really don't think they expect you to be a fully proficient instrument pilot before you even go for your first flight. at least i sure as hell hope they don't!

[/ QUOTE ]
You are right. It's just a comfort thing for me. If I'm going to be spending $30,000+ on a 90 day training course I want to feel comfortable and not stressed.
crazy.gif
I'd rather put my study efforts into checkrides and flight skills during the short program. Everyone's a bit different.

Good luck to you Hollywood! What location are you looking at attending? Also noticed you are from Michigan!
smile.gif
I grew up in Grand Rapids... where are you located?

Bob

This raises another question, How long to complete the writtens- Not the studying, but that actual taking the tests.

Is it possible to do it in one day, maybe two?

If I"m able to visit florida this summer I'd like to be able to take the writtens right at ATP.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah Hollywood, but that isn't really the best learning experiance...

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoever said that passing the writtens had anything to do with learning the material? The writtens are a hoop you must jump through, but the stress of that jump can actually impede learning. I'd rather get all the writtens out of the way so I can concentrate on actually mastering the material during the course without having the stress of the written exam over my head. YMMV.

Hey, as long as you're willing to do the learning, I don't care if it's before or after the writtens
wink.gif

I mean, as long as you don't just take the writtens and then stop studying
smile.gif

hey cpt. bob. Grand rapids! that just down the road! i'm from belding! graduated from WMU about a year ago. i'm not actually there right now. i'm in florida. i just never changed the location on my username thingamajig. i just finished up my private a few weeks ago waiting to start atp. i'll be in stuart on the 19th. i have to build some cross country time before starting the program on the 26th. what about you?

Hollywood,

I'm in Portland, Maine, for another two weeks, then relocating to Dallas. The plan is to make up about 15 hours XC time in ATP's 172 at GKY, then start the ACPP 2nd week of July. Taking the month of June to get settled after the move and do my studying. Who knows... we might see each other down the road!

Still get up to GR about 4 times a year to visit family.

Good Luck, and don't forget to share the updates!

Bob

hey bob. maine is a beautiful state. lots better than michigan. i'm heading back mid-july for a wedding. looks like i'll half to take about a week and a half off from the program. not really a good idea i know but i'm in the wedding so i can't really miss it. i'll be sure to post how things are going.(hopefully well). just out of curiosity, if you plan on taking the writtens before you go, who's signing you off for them?

Hollywood,

John & Martha King are signing me off!
smile.gif
Or at least someone from their company. I send them my three practice test results from the DVD-ROM course and they send back a written sign-off.

If nothing else, I'll have an ATP intstructor in Arlington quiz me and sign me off.

Bob

Back