How does a freight career work?

Lets put it this way. I finished my degree and ratings the fall of 2004. I started instructing the beginning of the summer in 2005 (jobs were a little hard to come by whan I started). I got the freight gig October of 2006. I now have about 2400 hrs total time, 1200 multi, and about 500 Turbine PIC.

There's a lot of factors that come into play inluding:

How fast you find a CFI gig?
How fast you get to 135 IFR mins?
Is the bare minimums for 135 IFR mins competitive enough to get you the gig?
Is anyone of those gigs hiring?
Whats the upgrade time to turbine equipment?
Whats the upgrade time to PIC in turbine equipment?
How fast am I building time as PIC in turbine equipment?
When will UPS/FEDEX be hiring again? (FedEx was actually considering furloughing and few weeks ago)
How will I be able to compete with all of the furloughed pilots out there including the couple of thousand that used to work for the DHL operators Airborne Express and ASTAR? Just about all of those guys have more time than I have in larger equipment.

In conclusion, I'll say don't count your eggs before they hatch. Don't be so focused on getting to the majors that you don't enjoy being where you're at. I can pretty much guarantee that everytime you leave one part of your career behind to move up to the next...you'll miss the previous ones.:)

In conclusion, I'll say don't count your eggs before they hatch. Don't be so focused on getting to the majors that you don't enjoy being where you're at. I can pretty much guarantee that everytime you leave one part of your career behind to move up to the next...you'll miss the previous ones.:)

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Back