HOw do you leave an instructor?

blee256

Hey guys I have an odd question for you, I will be attending ATP in April, starting off witht their private pilot program. ATP asked me to take a couple lessons before I apply to atp. So I did, well a couple lessons turned into 7 or 8. and I signed up for their ground school as well. I never told my instrutor that I was going to attend anther school. But now, my balance only has enough for about 1 more lesson. I think its pointless to keep flying there because I will attending ATP's and theirs is a flat fee? So what do I tell him? Just say bye, this is my last lesson, I'll be leavingyou? I feel kinda bad. Because I like my instructor. ANd you guys always poke fun at how poor CFI's are. So is it normal for CFI's to lose students?

thanks,
brian

Brian,

Here's a better idea. Call ATP and tell them to kiss off, you have found a instructor that you like, and your ticket will cost half what they want to charge. Use the rest of the money to get your instrument ticket.

I have to agree. I went to All ATP's for my ATP in 2000 and I had a great instructor and it's a fine school but unless you have a good reason for leaving your current flight school, why leave??? It seems as though you like your current school/instructor.

Jason

[ QUOTE ]
Dude just tell him how it is, and ask them to move your funds over to my account!

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice, for the most part. Really, just explain what's going on and how it's best for you and your career plans. If you just lay out the facts in a reasonable manner, your CFI should agree that it's best for you, too. Leave anything personal out of it, although it sounds like you don't have those issues anyway. Good luck!

[ QUOTE ]
Brian,

Here's a better idea. Call ATP and tell them to kiss off, you have found a instructor that you like, and your ticket will cost half what they want to charge. Use the rest of the money to get your instrument ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Lenair isnt the cheapest when it comes to FBO's. Not bad, but not cheap. I have probably spent about 800 to 1000 dollars so far and I have just over 7 hours in a 152. At ATP the private couse is a flat rate of 4995. And its 85 hours in a 172. I dont care which I fly, I just chose the 152 cuz I can fit in it, so there is no reason to pay extra for the 172.

-Brian

Brian,
I hope you thought about your decision carefully. If so, I suggest you take him out to lunch (you buy) and be honest. Tell him you appreciate all the knowledge he has passed on to you and that you have decided to pay ATPs price in order to get to your destination. Stay in touch with him. Also, if possible, see if a friend would be interested in flying lesson with him. If he is a cool dude and dear to you, then this would be acceptable. Instructors do loose students. But, leaving with class is always best. Now, get ready for ATP. Best wishes to you there.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh lordy.. I hate to risk getting "flamed", but I couldn't agree more.
smirk.gif

$800-$1000 for 7 hours in a 152????????? Yikes - that's between about $115 and $145 PER HOUR. It hasn't been that long since I was renting 152's and I was only paying $55 an hour - has flight training really gotten that expensive????

Jason

I just went through this very experience = changing instructors AND FBO's.

The bottom line is: Be honest with your current instructor. He's been where you are right now. He will understand.

Believe me - I sweated the move that I made, but it was the best move for ME. You do what YOU think is best for YOU.

If you believe ATP is the right program FOR YOU - then tell these other posters to kiss off.

It's your life and your money.

Good luck! Keep us posted.

R2F

They charge about $65-70 for an hour in a 152, and about $35 for instruction. I remember at that place I used to send $67 for an hour of dual! Oh the good old days boys!

Yeah plus if he is signed up for ground school, that's about another $250 and then there are the books and plotters etc. Money adds up quickly!

Mahesh

The good old days was back in 1987 when I'd pay $32/hr (wet) for a Tomahawk and $15/hr for flight instruction!

Has anyone noticed that when you pay an instructor who is a contractor it's cheaper than when you go through an FBO?

I may do that for my instrument rating. I may join a flying club that's at an airport that doesn't require you to submit to a proctological exam from the TSA in order to fly. Then I'll use one of their instructors since it will be cheaper.

Eh, here's something that'll make you sick -

Back when my Dad was building time he would rent his Champ or Tri-Pacer (can't remember which) to his friend for $6/hr WET.

About the cheapest airplane in PHX right now is roughly about an $80/hr 152 (that's dual, wet) but still ...

Here's how my FBO breaks it down:

(all prices wet)
C-150 $45/hr
PA38-115 Tomahawk $45/hr.
C-172 - $70/hr.
PA28-161 Warrior $70/hr.
PA...umm...ARROW $90/hr.
And the BRAND SPANKIN' NEW 172SP with Bendix/King 550 moving map and KLN 94 GPS $90/hr

Instructors - $26/hr (dry)
grin.gif

We also have a Beech Travel Air that is only used for training at $175/hr.

Those are the cheapest anywhere in this town.

well yeah, the C-152's rent for about 70-80 dollars an hour, plus 35 for instructor. And that 800 dollar quote didnt include my ground school of 250 and its supplies. If you add that then thats well over a grand. i have probable spent about 230 for supplies and books.

thanks R2F about my career choice. I wanted to go to the academies, but I Dont like the idea of paying back a 80+K loan for the next 20 years. If money wasnt an issue, I would definitely go to Comair. If the FBO was considerably cheaper than ATP, I would stay at Lenair, its a good shool. But when my instrucor gave me the price sheet it came to close to 30K without my instructor ratings. so add another 5k for that and its 33-36k. ATP is 38k and you get a lot more multi time. and the instructor job at ATP seems more attractive than Lenair, both financially and for building time. SOCAL mentioned he had something like 5 or 600 hours of multi and he has only been insturcting for 8 months or so. I dont consider myself to be an idiot, so I think i made the best choice. I have considered my options and I chose what the best for me would be.

-Brian

Back