How do you deal with downtime?

N519AT

Ahh! This is how I change this!
Due to the slowing economy (I'm assuming) we've been having a lot of downtime...especially on the weekends (maybe 1-2 planes PER DAY...0430-0000). To deal with it we sometimes go sit in airplanes and play the "let's pretend I'm the pilot" game. We played hide & seek in the hangar a couple of weeks ago...that game is only fun the first time - Jet Commander 695 FTW.

We don't have a computer to surf the web on, nor a TV except for in the FBO and we aren't allowed to hang out in there too much anyways.

There's only so much equipment you can clean...espcially when it's raining outside. Only so much driving around the airport you can do. Only so many airplanes to take pictures of.

We're thinking about playing monopoly this weekend, but now that we have something planned it will probably be uber busy.

So my question to you: what do you do with your downtime at your FBO?

Surf this website and get depressed about the job outlook in the next couple years.

Don't worry you guys I feel somthing coming...feels like change... change, change we can believe in! (I'm bored and this thread was going nowhere anyway,no offense)

Don't worry you guys I feel somthing coming...feels like change... change, change we can believe in! (I'm bored and this thread was going nowhere anyway,no offense)

haha, well I ususally end up studying or cruising the internet. I like talking to the local pilots but there has been less activity in general, so less people end up coming to my castle anyway.

Surf this website and get depressed about the job outlook in the next couple years.

If it wasn't for the internet I don't know what I'd do on the slow days. I spend an awful lot of time on here while at work. As far as job outlook, I was at first dissapointed but realized hey I have a job, it could be worse.

Now that laptops have been banned :banghead: I study my ass off for my upcoming checkride:panic:

The way management sees it, there is always something to be cleaned. So when we're not dealing with airplanes, we are cleaning.

The way management sees it, there is always something to be cleaned. So when we're not dealing with airplanes, we are cleaning.

During the week when management is around we generally look for things to do on slow days. But my line shifts are generally Saturday and Sunday and they aren't there so I can pretty much do what I want. We have only one person working on weekends so we really can't be outside doing extra stuff because they want the phones to be answered, which means if it's slow, I'm pretty much just hanging around.

That applies to us on weekdays...but on weekends we've started discovering frisbee and monopoly....

Anyone ever prank call the CSR's with made-up fuel orders? Then start asking them all sorts of ridiculous questions and pretend to get mad and finally hang up, all the while calling them by different but remotely similar names? :buck:

Anyone ever prank call the CSR's with made-up fuel orders? Then start asking them all sorts of ridiculous questions and pretend to get mad and finally hang up, all the while calling them by different but remotely similar names? :buck:

Hah! All the time. They all knew who it was though. I guess hangar space for a "llllllllllllussssssssssssssian A-N 2-2-5" gave it away :D That and the request for a gazillion milllion gallons.

We've tried a lot but the CSRs know our voices by heart now.

I just love it when the CSRs send you out to do a fueling and give you the wrong type of aircraft. I got dispatched to do an avgas fueling in the community hangars and per the ticket, was looking for a C172. After 10 minutes, I got waved over by the owner of a christen eagle. WTF.:banghead:

Or when a "Bonanza" needs fuel so you grab the LL truck only to find a turbine bonanza by that same tail# 10 minutes later.

Speaking of pranks, I got a new guy pretty good. It was the middle of January and he was complaining that Colgan might need fuel so I went in the back room and called our number and he answers. I disguised my voice and said I needed fuel on the 1900. So, the noob gets all his winter gear on and makes the trek to get the fuel truck. As he was driving by the FBO I opted to tell him that they really didn't need fuel. :rotfl:

I used to work Line Service at KISP about 2 years ago. When the boss wasn't around we'd bring in a laptop or portable DVD player and watch movies.

The hangar floor makes for a great race track. Bring some soda, food, and a couple R/C cars. Lay out cones and boom! If your hangar has a radio all the better!

How about sleep/nap?

If there's two guys just take turns, one watching movies on the laptop and the other sleeping.

Back