How do they determine your type of aircraft during the interview?

mrivc211

I am curious to hear how they select you in a particular type of equipment when hired with an airline.

Is it strictly based on seniority (ssn) or is it type of flying you've done previously?

Which leads me to my next question.

If I was apply to a regional that had a turbo prop and a RJ in their fleet, would I be more likely to be put in the RJ if I had lets say 350 hours of Multi time versus lets say 150? Does it really make a difference or is it luck of the draw?

Thanks

Never can tell. Its all based on need. But if they had 5 B1900 availabilities and 5 CRJs, different companies do it different ways. Some would have you bid, others would place you. Some of it has to do with projected upgrades and training schedules, but all airlines are different. Some regionals do not base your inclass seniorty on your SSN, but rather your age. My advice is dont worry about and worry about trying to get more time to get placed into a certain airplane, its more luck and timing than anything.

When you are hired by an airline your aircraft (and base city for that matter) are determined in a strict senority based system. All pilots in a new-hire class are considered equally 'qualified' to be there. The most senior person in their class gets first choice at available aircraft & base. As a new-hire, you will go to the most junior equipment and base, because all the pilots currently employed by the airline have already been given the chance to bid that equipment/base, and you'll be going there because nobody else wants to!

The methods of determining senority in class are usually one of two ways.
-Age senority, where the oldest person in age is the most senior person in the class, and the youngest person is the bottom-dweller (most junior)
or
-Social Security Number order, where they take the last 4 digits of your ssn and go in numerical order. (I don't know much about the ssn system, the two airlines I flew for both used age.)

As with all rules there are exceptions, at one time (years ago) Mesaba was hiring guys direct to the left seat of their SF3s because they had run out of current pilots qualified to be Captains. However, you can plan on bidding your aircraft & base in senority order, and expect to 'do time' at your airline's junior base.

[ QUOTE ]
As a new-hire, you will go to the most junior equipment and base

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat Locks can mess up this part. For example if the company has a seatlock for X number of months, and no lateral movement for FOs, A new aircraft type could be staffed by new hires.

yeah, i dont read real well. If i have picture to help me, im all set though!
grin.gif

Back