How busy are the MEIs out there

c172captain

Was thinking that maybe I might invest in my MEI. How busy are you guys who have it and where are you at?

It depends -
In NC, I flew 40 hours of twin time in six months, which was way worth it.
I moved to NE and in three months I have not flown a twin yet...

Still though, it is an easy ride and a small investment. It was harder for me to justify the II. II only helps the employer, MEI is all about you.

two flights=cheap, especially since you are a working CFI, your company CFIs might donate their time to you.
That is the way we do it. It is a nice courtesy between poor people.

Training - 1. chair fly for a week step 2. one training flight in the morning. 3 ground over lunch. 4. afternoon training flight. 5. wake up the next morning and take your check ride.

go for it

It was harder for me to justify the II. II only helps the employer, MEI is all about you.

If it were not for the II, I would not have my current CFI job. There are alot of CFI-only instructors out there.

I have not used the MEI since I got it seven months ago. But the flight school's Seneca was geared-up a while back and has been in maintenance for months. Hopefully I will get some time in it when it goes back on the line.

Still though, it is an easy ride and a small investment. It was harder for me to justify the II. II only helps the employer, MEI is all about you.

The thing about the CFII is that it kept me from losing my sanity. I liked primary, but after about 500 hrs dual it was very refreshing to teach something else besides how to land and do stalls. Also, the -II instruction keeps you fresh on IFR knowledge, and you become more proficient with ATC and the IFR system. This becomes invaluable as you move on to other pilot positions.

It was also the easiest rating I ever did... I did about two rides with one of my CFII friends and did the checkride. Plus my boss paid for everything except the checkride.

The thing about the CFII is that it kept me from losing my sanity. I liked primary, but after about 500 hrs dual it was very refreshing to teach something else besides how to land and do stalls. Also, the -II instruction keeps you fresh on IFR knowledge, and you become more proficient with ATC and the IFR system. This becomes invaluable as you move on to other pilot positions.

exactly....You can only do so many laps in the pattern.

Was thinking that maybe I might invest in my MEI. How busy are you guys who have it and where are you at?

To answer your question, I have been working at ATP in Houston since Feb of this year. With a mixture of single and multi, I have given about 200 multi dual in that time. Others here that only teach multi have given much more than that, but I have taught single private for at least half that time.

I now have about 100 hours dual given in multis in about 14 months of CFI-ing. So it was well worth it. Our school is a bit of an oddball, though-our main complex airplanes (therefore, the ones we do our initial commercial and initial CFI rides in) are our multi trainers. So every student that does commercial flies the multi, therefore every instructor that instructs commercial flies the multi, therefore lots of dual flown in the multi.

I now have about 100 hours dual given in multis in about 14 months of CFI-ing. So it was well worth it. Our school is a bit of an oddball, though-our main complex airplanes (therefore, the ones we do our initial commercial and initial CFI rides in) are our multi trainers. So every student that does commercial flies the multi, therefore every instructor that instructs commercial flies the multi, therefore lots of dual flown in the multi.

I would also add that my multi times are not the norm, as all training is done in the multi, with the exception of the single add-ons.

It was also the easiest rating I ever did... I did about two rides with one of my CFII friends and did the checkride. Plus my boss paid for everything except the checkride.

It seems like i need to clarify.
I didn't say do not do your II.
I meant to say if you are looking to leave instructing, for a pilot job, building up multi time will be more beneficial to you than any extra single time. Approaches are nice, but approaches in a twin are twice as nice if you are looking to move on. So yes, your multi is worth it.

Some said "I got my job because I have my II", i think that just reinforces my statement that II helps your employer and your multi time goes to your resume. You II does benefit you too, but not to the same degree.

Of course, I think everybody should get both. I just chose to get my multi first so I could start building that time. It was worth it. :bandit:

Also, I understand that the original poster already has his II, I was passing along that a MEI will be more beneficial to him than the II in time building...so why not get it, and if he is career CFI, MEI is a necessity.

All of our training is typically single with multi add on. I got my MEI done a few months back and have not used it since. Lots of PPL and IR students and even a handful of COM but no one wants to spend the $$$ on two engines these days. I guess since the 250hr airline pilot days are now gone, people are stepping back and second guessing...my 2 cents

I have been teaching for about a year at a flightschool in Addison, TX. The only complex aircraft we have at my school is the Duchess. About 4 or 5 months ago I was down to 1 student so I invested in the MEI training. Lucky for me we did not have any fulltime MEI's, so when I passed the checkride I picked up a bunch of students waiting around to start commercial training. Since early September I have signed off 8 students and logged around 250hr of multi in the process. We have a mix of Indian and American students right now, and supposedly we are getting more Indian students next month. If you can work somewhere that trains international students you would probably do well by getting the MEI.

Good Luck

In 4 months I've logged over 100hrs of multi time instructing and its only picking up.

At the University of North Dakota, I have gotten well over 100 hours of multi time since August, and I wasn't even that busy with multi students! This next semester, I am hoping for over 200. Plus, UND was in desparate need of MEI's due to foreign students, so they paid for my MEI, so it was definitely worth it!

I have been teaching for about a year at a flightschool in Addison, TX. The only complex aircraft we have at my school is the Duchess. About 4 or 5 months ago I was down to 1 student so I invested in the MEI training. Lucky for me we did not have any fulltime MEI's, so when I passed the checkride I picked up a bunch of students waiting around to start commercial training. Since early September I have signed off 8 students and logged around 250hr of multi in the process. We have a mix of Indian and American students right now, and supposedly we are getting more Indian students next month. If you can work somewhere that trains international students you would probably do well by getting the MEI.

Good Luck

what flight school?

I've logged about 300hrs of duchess time since september at a pretty busy school in Tulsa that has mostly international students...fly about 80-100hrs a month in the twin.

At the University of North Dakota, I have gotten well over 100 hours of multi time since August, and I wasn't even that busy with multi students! This next semester, I am hoping for over 200. Plus, UND was in desparate need of MEI's due to foreign students, so they paid for my MEI, so it was definitely worth it!
do you have 8 325's on your schedule, because 200 in a semester is pretty tough. i think the most i have done in a semester was like 170ish.

to answer the original posters question, here at UND i average around 24/month in the Multi

Back