Hopeful FA seeks advice

Jseev

Hello Everyone,
My name is Josh. I was poking around for information on becoming a FA, and this seemed like a knowledgeable and friendly forum.
My situation: I am 25, College degree in Art, love to travel, traveled internationally often, 9+ years of customer service experience, and think FA is a good career fit for my life (weeks away from home, crash pad, etc.) I am wondering:
  1. which Airlines you would recommend working for? (Treats employees well)
  2. Would large, international airlines provide me the best opportunity to work and travel abroad? I have read that they pay the best. I don't know if there are advantages to working for a regional carrier (besides shorter flights).
  3. Do large airlines hire untrained FA or do they usually hire FA with job experience?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Josh

1: The best airline to work for is the one that will hire you! That being said, for the most part the majors/legacies are the best places to be as far as pay rates, work rules & benefits go. Next is the larger national carriers, like Spirit, Allegiant, Virgin America and the regionals like the Republic carriers, Eagle, Skywest, ASA/ExpressJet, etc. A regional airline with a major/legacy partner will give you more non-rev travel privileges. As you think about where to apply, look at their websites and see where their crew bases are, so you'll have an idea of where you might end up. No sense applying to Virgin America if you're a life-long New Yorker who doesn't want to move to the west coast, and don't bother applying to North American Airlines if you're a west-coaster who wants nothing to do with New York! Basically, throw a wide net as far as who you're applying to, but do your research on the companies website so you know where you might end up.

2: Larger, internationally operating airlines will give you the best opportunity to work the international flights (obviously), but even if you work for a regional carrier the travel benefits will most likely allow you to travel non-rev on the mainline affiliate's international network. So if you can afford the departure taxes/service charges (sometimes $200-ish), food, a place to stay when you get there and manage your own transpiration you can still have the international travel experience, though you won't be working those flights.

Yes, the larger carriers pay the "best", but even there starting pay still isn't all that great. It's roughly $20k/year starting at a major/legacy, about $17k/year at a regional.

The biggest advantage to working at a regional is they're easier to get hired at. The F/A jobs at the major/legacy level are very competitive, and when hiring windows open those carriers are inundated with apps. I'm not saying don't try, especially with your experience (9 years of customer service experience is a big plus!) you'd have a really good chance of being successful in the interview! DO try with the majors when their windows open, the only way be sure of not getting the job is not to apply. Turnover is much higher at the regional level, leading to more opportunities.

3: All airlines hire F/As with no previous airline experience. Being a flight attendant with another carrier is great experience, but is not necessary. The hiring departments look for customer service experience, a positive attitude and a smile.

Dear M,
Thank you! Your answers were very useful, informative, and have set my mind at ease. I agree. Any airline is better than no airline :) is the best way to find hiring windows to watch the hiring page on their websites? Again, thanks for taking the time to respond so thoroughly.

You're welcome. :)

Yes, the best way to find hiring windows is to watch the airline's websites "careers" section. Jobs are posted there, and there is usually a link to apply online. I remember filling out paper applications with a typewriter back in the day... my how times have changed!

Back