Home Dispatching

None of the majors are dispatching from home and I have not heard of any of them wanting to dispatch from home.

I know of one major looking into it but not to replace their backup NOC - just for use in a “worst case” scenario where the primary NOC is closed and something then happens to the backup facility. However it has not been approved by the FAA so far. I kind of doubt they will ever approve it, but I could be wrong. The FAA seems to have different standards, sometimes, between things it approves for regional airlines vs. the legacy carriers.

Good for SkyWest to get that FAA approval. I heard UAL is very close to get the approval but so far it seems like they haven’t gotten any further. I bet it is really nice to dispatch from home and I’m sure the FAA voiced more concerns about it than what was discussed here and OO wouldn’t get the approval if they didn’t have a solution for all the potential issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for SkyWest to get that FAA approval. I heard UAL is very close to get the approval but so far it seems like they haven’t gotten any further. I bet it is really nice to dispatch from home and I’m sure the FAA voiced more concerns about it than what was discussed here and OO wouldn’t get the approval if they didn’t have a solution for all the potential issues.

I think it's a really bad idea to dispatch from home except in the case of a dire emergency, or a medical condition making you especially susceptible to COVID complications. Making it your default "backup NOC" is just trouble waiting to happen. Of course, your opinion may differ. FWIW, the ADF is currently working on a position paper on the use of "dispatch from home" and they are not in favor of it either.

Not in favor of it? Or against it?. The former suggests neutrality; the latter, opposition. My assumption is they are opposed to it. If that is the case, what's the motivation?

They are not in favor of it. In other words, opposition. I am not involved in the writing of the paper myself but once it is published I'll be happy to share it here if I can.

Here is the letter that the ADF sent to the FAA regarding dispatching from home (that didn't take long, did it?) PDF viewer required.

First paragraph quoted here: "The Airline Dispatchers Federation stands in strong opposition to the recent approval granted to CFR 14 Part 121 Carriers allowing FAA Certificated Aircraft Dispatchers to work from home while exercising joint operational control. We fully understand and support air carriers looking for creative solutions to address unimagined challenges, however, dispersing Aircraft Dispatchers from a secure centralized facility to isolated and potentially unsecured private dwellings introduces a level of risk that is unacceptable."

Last edited:
Back