Hobbs Meter

SpinAware

I flew with a student on C-172 airplane yesterday.

We completed a x-country flight with exactly 50 nmiles (to & fro) at about 95 Kts. The entire flight was at low altitude enroute and calm wind condition. At the end of the air-exercise, the hobbs meter shows 2.4hrs! o_O This is the first time, I've encountered such a hobbs meter running faster than usual! :ooh:

Side-story...

The flight school is not doing well and has about 3 foreign students pathetically. The school has eight airplanes, six are to be scrapped but only two (one C172 & one C152) are serviceable. The school owner is greedy and tried to scam the students. And there are many stories to share ...

Nonetheless, I have a technical query for the A&P Mechanic/Technician - I highly suspected the hobbs meter is manipulated. Is that possible? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I flew with a student on C-172 airplane yesterday.

We completed a x-country flight with exactly 50 nmiles (to & fro) at about 95 Kts. The entire flight was at low altitude enroute and calm wind condition. At the end of the air-exercise, the hobbs meter shows 2.4hrs! o_O This is the first time, I've encountered such a hobbs meter running faster than usual! :ooh:

Side-story...

The flight school is not doing well and has about 3 foreign students pathetically. The school has eight airplanes, six are to be scrapped but only two (one C172 & one C152) are serviceable. The school owner is greedy and tried to scam the students. And there are many stories to share ...

Nonetheless, I have a technical query for the A&P Mechanic/Technician - I highly suspected the hobbs meter is manipulated. Is that possible? :rolleyes:

I once worked at a place that had a switch to deactivate the Hobbs, coincidentally it would always be flipped after the owner flew it. So I wouldn't be surprised if the opposite was true.

I have never heard of a Hobbs running faster than usual.

I have seen them running when they shouldn’t be for various reasons, and I have seen them accumulate time during maintenance because of how they are designed.

I don't know of any way to get the Hobbs to turn faster other than perhaps a 12 v Hobbs in a 24 volt airplane. Was it a new Hobbs?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have never heard of a Hobbs running faster than usual.

I have seen them running when they shouldn’t be for various reasons, and I have seen them accumulate time during maintenance because of how they are designed.

One of the airplanes in the fleet I work with had a major disparity between the Hobbs and the tach last summer (like, huge) but I can't remember which one the problem was - I think the tach was the problem.

One of the airplanes in the fleet I work with had a major disparity between the Hobbs and the tach last summer (like, huge) but I can't remember which one the problem was - I think the tach was the problem.
Yeah, that would make sense.

Tach runs faster or slower based on engine RPM

1:1 is usually 2500

That's what I thought too, couldn't remember.

I think the ones I’ve installed/replaced have all been. But it’s been a while so I could be wrong.

Side note, whenever I installed an air Hobbs, I would use an in-line fuse behind the panel for circuit protection. Want to disable the Hobbs? Great, hope you enjoy flying with the master off.

Student pays according to Hobbs time. So, Hobbs meter reading mean alot.
Usually, tach time, we don't care. So long, it it within 100hrs.

Back