History of Anxiety

Elsquido

Hello,
I currently take 5MG of Lexapro. I’ve taken this medication for 2 months and i plan on getting off of it within the next few months. I’m going to be working towards my PPL but before I start I just want to know if I’m going to need Special Issuance for having a history of slight anxiety. My plan is to stop taking the medication as I don’t feel that I need it anymore (of course I’ll consult my doctor before coming off of the Lexapro).

I’ve been trying to find out how to email Dr. Bruce Chien but I figured I’d come here first. Any guidance or advice is highly appreciated.

Too many variables to give an accurate answer. It depends on what your medical record says, how many meds you’ve been on, for how long, what kind of doctor diagnosed you and with what label, etc etc. Your best bet is to get a hold of Dr. Chien and give him your full history (which wouldn’t be prudent to share on here). He can then give you the best answer.

Do you know the possible reasons why you might have anxiety? Anxiety symptoms or even an anxiety disorder are usually symptomatic of another larger issue.

Hello,
I currently take 5MG of Lexapro. I’ve taken this medication for 2 months and i plan on getting off of it within the next few months. I’m going to be working towards my PPL but before I start I just want to know if I’m going to need Special Issuance for having a history of slight anxiety. My plan is to stop taking the medication as I don’t feel that I need it anymore (of course I’ll consult my doctor before coming off of the Lexapro).

I’ve been trying to find out how to email Dr. Bruce Chien but I figured I’d come here first. Any guidance or advice is highly appreciated.

Depending on what your diagnosis is, you may or may not be issued a regular issuance. You'll go into the AME for your medical and he will defer. At that point, you'll need to go off your SSRI, and after 60 days off the medication and a stable dose AND a favorable report of stable mood etc, from your treating physician, you MAY be issued a regular issuance medical. It really will depend on the underlying condition/diagnosis. They may or may not ask for notes from a psychiatrist. If I were in your shoes I would contact AMAS, as they will send you in the right direction--and they are very inexpensive. All that said, IF YOU NEED THE MEDS, STAY ON THEM. The FAA has a process you may use to remain on the SSRI. It's quite involved, but if you're already on the meds, you might consider going through that process if you so desire.

I agree that an advocate service would probably be helpful in getting you through certification as smoothly as possible. I think your first decision is whether or not you intend to continue the medication. As has been said above, you should make that decision with your treating physician, based on your situation not on your desire to obtain a certificate. If you have discontinued the SSRI and it has been 60 days you can apply for regular issuance with an AME. Your application will likely be deferred so the AMCD can review your treatment records/history. If you have continued the SSRI certification will go through a special AME (HIMS AME). See link:

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA Designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back