Hiring Process

MissedApproach

I was wondering exactly what impact other pilot "connections" have on your being hired. How does the process work and do pilots with higher seniority have a greater say in your being hired. Also, who does the hiring? I've heard some companies use a computer database while others have a hiring board of pilots that "flag" your application.

Whenever I dropped into Plato Rhyne's office to forward a reccomendation, he just wanted to briefly talk about the pilot, if I've flown with him and get his SSN number to flag his application in the UPAS database.

Once he got flagged, in general he got a phone call a few weeks later for the interview.

Pretty simple process, involved no cover letters not even a resume.

When I got my pal Joe hired at Skyway, I went into the chief pilots office during one of his tirades about not being able to find pilots, dialed Joe's number and handed the chief pilot the telephone and said, "It's 5:40AM in California, he won't mind, talk to him".

There is absolutely no better way of getting an interview than having a company pilot you personally know and have flown with physically walk-in your resume to the person in charge of pilot selection.

Works better than career services, seminars, presentations, conventions, etc. And it's free! Well, if you don't bribe the guy with a 12-pack of Labatt's Blue Label.

Doug, I'll keep that in mind down the road...want a lifetime supply?
grin.gif

Hey Doug,

Next time I'm in Arizona I'll be sure to stop by with a 12-pack of Labatt's Blue Label. No particular reason, just thought I might. LOL
grin.gif

Come to think of it Doug, now you'll probably end up with Labatt's Blue Label comming out you ass in short order.
grin.gif
grin.gif

Ack!

I don't even like Labatt's Blue Label!
smile.gif

However, Dos Equis lager or Samuel Adams IPA is a different story!

Doug, don't ever invite anyone from the FAA over to your house. If you've got thousands of jetcareer guys bringing you beer, that could look disasterous to a pilot's career.
grin.gif

Maybe you should just ask us for money...Um, I mean maybe we'll just happen to stop by and bring you money. No reason, we're just generous like that. Oh, and make sure your address book has plenty of extra paper. No reason.
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ack!

I don't even like Labatt's Blue Label!
smile.gif

However, Dos Equis lager or Samuel Adams IPA is a different story!

[/ QUOTE ]

How 'bout some Colt 45, like I used to pound in college?

Gack!

Hell Mike, you were too cheap for the Keystone that Joe and I would buy!

"It's the can, man!"

Don't think you may be above working the line for larger FBO's. I recently decided to start working for an FBO that services mainly corporate jets, since there is more personal interaction than say a Southwest, etc and more turbo-prop, jet connections than a small FBO.
A co-worker is about to get hired on with a charter company. I personnally have many corporate and charter contacts. On top of that I am known in some front offices by their chief pilots. I still have my commercial to complete and many can't wait until I get it(hopefully to hire me).
Seriously, if you guys can sacrifice at $9.00 an hour for a few months to a year(depending on how you network), the line can be your ticket.

I totally agree with you Doug. (commercial solicitation edited pending review) we teach the value of NEVER burning a bridge and ALWAYS maintain the networking contacts you have.

There's lots more of course, but the key thing is to get a pilot you have flown with to walk in your resume.

Otherwise 99% of resumes go right to the trash!

[ QUOTE ]
Gack!

Hell Mike, you were too cheap for the Keystone that Joe and I would buy!

"It's the can, man!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Keystone Ice was the drink in college! Dirt cheap and 5% alcohol per can -- more bang for your buck!

Natural Ice is way cheaper then Keystone. I remember when I was stationed in Norfolk, there was this bar, and every Monday they had $.25 drafts. Of course it was Natural Ice on tap. Can't beat that! Of course we wished it could have been on a weekend due to one hell of a hangover on Tuesday morning!

Milwakee's Best (aka The Beast) is about the bottom the of the cheap beer market. Only thing worse I can think of is a small Wisconsin bewery called Huber Beer. That stuff is swill....
crazy.gif

I am shocked and sorely dissapointed that such an innocent question about the hiring process so quickly turned into a discussion on Beer. I thought more of the professional pilots than what I have seen here. I think Doug should set a better example than this.

NOT

Put me in for a case of Yingling lager
wink.gif

As I pop an ice cold Old Milwaukee...

"America's Best Tasting Beer", it says so on the can.

keepin' the cheap beer network alive,
Dave

p.s. don't even get me started on Schlitz!

I've always been fond of Rolling Rock myself. We used to buy it by the case in Upsate NY.

On another thought line:

I did a bass guitar gig for the Hard Rock Cancun back in 1990. A whole month surrounded by spring breakers and horny mexicans. We found that Corona helped you "hold it together" a bit during attacks of Dysentery. (Famous quote from our drummer Paul: "I love the smell of dysentery in the morning.") Not a great month, BUT:

I did acquire a taste for Dos Equis
smile.gif

"Senorita, Tres Cerveza por favor!"

Back