HIRED!

I know quite a few airlines that will *NOT* hire a pilot who keeps their seniority number with another airline. They are happy to hire them as long as they give up their recall slots. Seriously, would you hire somebody, spend tens of thousands of dollars on training, after all, how many Delta pilots are current and qual'd on the RJ?, just to know that they might be called back and leave in 6 months?

With all due respect, a job offer is not charity, it's business.

Nah, the Delta furloughs are probably going to be out for a while.

I could probably name 20 of which that are former RJ captains off the top of my head.

ASA said "Sure", Comair said "Pack sand" so there we have it.

It's almost like the jumpseat thing, why offer an Alasa Airlines pilot a reciprocal jumpseat when you'd rather have that pilot go to the ticket counter and purchase an ID-90 or a full fare ticket? Reciprocity.

Besides, when the airlines get out of the rut, any airline major/regional/cargo/etc is going to have an attrition rate so why not help out an unemployed family in the interim?

Already trained, airline screened, experienced, etc...

Perhaps I just answered my own question. D'oh!

Yankee One, you have issues. If you jump on a discussion forum and express your opinion thats one thing, but when you start throwing out insults you should be wary...especially when the comments are directed at the owner/admin. So you disagree with somebody. Is this how you normally respond? I'm sure you'll do well as a professional aviator spouting off insults to your Captain. And then, you simply say you jumped the gun...was that an apology? If you value the information you get from here, and it seems you do, you might want to be more careful choosing how to respond to others views. Do you need to reread your post:

[ QUOTE ]
yeah... with ignorant comments like that I tend to think dougy has SNAPped myself.

Hey Doug... your village called... they're missing their idiot.

Sorry.. couldn't resist.. carry on!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have banned your IP.

And an employee of Delta Connection Academy as well, figure that one out!
smile.gif

Even when things got hot and heavy with ATA a few years ago, at least the people that were "higher ups" at ATA had the common decency not to run around calling me idiot.

Doug-
"Besides, when the airlines get out of the rut, any airline major/regional/cargo/etc is going to have an attrition rate so why not help out an unemployed family in the interim?"

Both guys putting in a resumes' are unemployed airline pilots, and have families. One guy has shown that they are willing to give up their recall slot, the other guy didn't. My own personal opinion, I want to hire the guy willing to make a comitment to their new employer, rather than the guy who's gone based on some other airlines seniority recall. Why is one guys unemployed family better than the other guys unemployed family? I think both Comair(airline, not Academy) and Delta are ALPA. This sounds like an ALPA issue rather than an academy issue.

Even if the Delta pilots are former RJ captains, if they are not current, they still have to go through the "long course". Usually 4 weeks of ground school, 2 to 5 CPT's, and roughly 5 sims and a checkride. Basicly, several thousands of dollars, per pilot.

*EDIT*
I'm not sure if the argument is that Comair Airlines is wrong for hiring new graduates from the academy while Delta pilots are unemployed or that Comair Airlines is wrong for making its newly hired pilots give up any seniority with another airline for recall.

[ QUOTE ]
It runs in my wife's family pretty bad. Heck, my brother in law was 24 and went from diagnosis to death in probably 9 months.

[/ QUOTE ]

4 months

get it right TAYLOR!
grin.gif

Of course. If I went back to the 737-200, I'd need the "long course" as well even thought I spent about 1000 hours flying it.

I think when it becomes an academy issue is that whenever I try to seperate the three, I get my wrists slapped in private email about how it's all one group and I should address them appropriately.

But if it's one group,... awww christ, what's the point.

[ QUOTE ]
Yankee One, you have issues. If you jump on a discussion forum and express your opinion thats one thing, but when you start throwing out insults you should be wary...especially when the comments are directed at the owner/admin. So you disagree with somebody. Is this how you normally respond? I'm sure you'll do well as a professional aviator spouting off insults to your Captain. And then, you simply say you jumped the gun...was that an apology? If you value the information you get from here, and it seems you do, you might want to be more careful choosing how to respond to others views. Do you need to reread your post:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah... with ignorant comments like that I tend to think dougy has SNAPped myself.

Hey Doug... your village called... they're missing their idiot.

Sorry.. couldn't resist.. carry on!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd have banned your IP.

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP - I WAS READY TO KICK A LITTLE .... TOO... but I let doug handle his own quarrels and he usually does much better verbally than I could anyday! I just like to listen in and see what all's going on... but more words like that and I'd have banned him myself cuz nobody disses my hubby and gets away with it - more than once!
grin.gif

I'm quite protective! hehe whoda thunkit!
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
#53141 - Wed May 07 2003 12:18 PM (24.56.49.218)
Of course. If I went back to the 737-200, I'd need the "long course" as well even thought I spent about 1000 hours flying it.........blah blah blah

[/ QUOTE ]

aren't you supposed to be studying????
blush.gif

caughtcha Mr. Taylor!
wink.gif

Oh, I know! But I'm not about some employee at Comair come to my forum and diss me like that babe!
smile.gif
Especially when he referred to furloughed pilots like Joe as "disgrunted major airline pilot" because Comair doesn't want to hire people like him.

Hell yeah I take this sh*t personal! Especially when I front the costs to run this forum and I've had to deal with "you're wrong about the degree", "change our name immediately", "disgruntled major pilots" and a host of other things?

Hustek and Erskine (both employees) should be thrilled that I haven't shut this forum down and replace it with American Flyers!
smile.gif

totally understand that...

but recurrent training comes first and we all know that the board seems to explode around springtime - already had that discussion! hahaha

If you think about it - the way this Comair section of the forum is and has been going - they're dooming themselves by dissing you and the other folks on here... i've heard enough that If i were someone who really wanted to fly - there's no way I'd choose their airline, mainly because of their "tactics" alone...You don't gain respectibiltiy by being disrespectful of others...and if i had to put $60 grand down on something, i'd be searching for a company that would respect me as an individual pilot as well as a company that would use my money in the way that's best for me...

so if you think about it - by them dissing you and so forth - they're putting themselves and their company in a bad light, therefore turning OFF future students....

but...

If you feel the want or need - take down the Comair portion of the forum... that is a simple solution!

Doug,
For what its worth. I didn't mean anything personal. Especially with respect to the friend of your Joe.The Idiot comment might have gone a bit too far, but as you take things on the webboard personally I take things personally too about the academy here, maybe thats wrong and I shouldn't have such a genuine concern, but I do. I know that some people have written some nasty grams to you in private mails. I assume you know thats not me. But I've always been out here in the open.

[ QUOTE ]
Doug,
For what its worth. I didn't mean anything personal. Especially with respect to the friend of your Joe.The Idiot comment might have gone a bit too far, but as you take things on the webboard personally I take things personally too about the academy here, maybe thats wrong and I shouldn't have such a genuine concern, but I do. I know that some people have written some nasty grams to you in private mails. I assume you know thats not me. But I've always been out here in the open.

[/ QUOTE ]

a little too far - yeah, i'd say so...

anyways, this much I know - when you talk about furloughed pilots, it's ALL personal because they're ALL family... it doesn't matter if you don't know them, they're still your family and everyone sticks up for everyone else...

To me - I find it quite sad that Comair doesn't support furloughed pilots...everything in the airlines is cyclical and reciprocal...when Comair starts taking on bumps (all airlines do at some point), will the Delta pilots help bail Comair out? not after the kindness they've received from Comair, they won't...

and I can pretty much guess that Comair's already been tainted enough in doug's eyes that he might not give any Comair kudos to future students... and we know how sales goes - referral business is what keeps everyone afloat now a days....

you should never bite the hand that feeds you....

If you're refering to the 'price' of word of mouth, believe me, it's helped one of my sponsors tremendously.

Wow! I turn my back and you kids are painting on the walls
smile.gif
I just wanted to say congrats to the newhires. Let's all try to see the positive side, while tempering it with awareness of the rest. Happy people live longer!

Regionals-Majors, Hiring-Furloughs, Profits-Bankruptcy...Nothing changes much in the airline biz. The ol' have and have-nots. It's still all an argument that causes a headache no matter what side you're on. The fact still remains the same- the Academy produces good pilots and Comair is hiring them. 9 of 9 out of the last interview group, and yes they are all friends of mine. My roommate interviewed on a Wednesday was in class the following Wednesday and loving it!
laugh.gif
I, personally, am glad I'm in the position I'm in at this stage of my career. To those that want to detract from my friends' success, I might feel your pain, but negativity tends to fester.

Re: HIRED! while Delta\'s FIRING!

[ QUOTE ]
? me no gettie...

Are you calling Doug an idiot? If so, the Jerk store called, they're out of YOU!

BAm!
wink.gif

Dave

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehehehehe....man, I can't believe I didn't get in on this thread earlier. Pavelump gets the award for the best Seinfeld quote of the day.

"George is GETTIN' ANGRY!"

Back