HIRED! (Props to my instructor)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ready2fly

Just want to send out some props to my instructor for getting hired by AirNet! He inteviewed on August 5th with a little over 1200TT and 160ME and was offered the job on August 15th after an entire week of "phone tag" with the pilot recruiter.

Good stuff!!

R2F

He said that he'll be assigned to the Baron, but won't know his base until three weeks into training.

Congrats! He's now going to find out how to really fly an airplane in all kinds of situations. Been there, done that.
crazy.gif

No doubt!

When I was a regional guy, I'd almost see the ex-freight guys like gods.

I remember landing after shooting an approach to minimums in KMKE, hearing the constant pranging of ice flying off of the propellers as it struck the fuselage and being glad that the Beechcraft 1900 (with EFIS, weather radar and all of the ice protection extras) pulled through.

Then I'd see this guy landing a Beech Baron, single pilot, with a bin full of boxes, no de-ice boots or radar, happily taxi towards the cargo pad.

Being from California, I was scared to death of icing conditions but some of my first few former-freight captains "de-fanged" the Wisconsin winters and helped me learn to work with it.

Yeah, why go out and fly in the real world earning a ton of experience and getting paid for it, when you can just go the PFT route and cruise around raising and lowering the gear in a 1900.
tongue.gif

[/Sarcasm]

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, why go out and fly in the real world earning a ton of experience and getting paid for it, when you can just go the PFT route and cruise around raising and lowering the gear in a 1900.
tongue.gif

[/Sarcasm]

[/ QUOTE ]

EatSleepFly, you forgot to toggle the sarcasm ON in your post. I only see the off-switch.

[/sarcasm] ... uh...eh...I mean...

[ QUOTE ]
You look at them as gods? I look at them as idiots. Sorry.

No future in flying in bad weather!

[/ QUOTE ]

Bite me Tenney!!

Looks like he'll be getting Paid to fly - you won't.

[ QUOTE ]
Bite me Tenney!!

Looks like he'll be getting Paid to fly - you won't.

[/ QUOTE ]

You aren't thinking. You know I get at least $400/day to fly right now.

Airnet pays less than $400 a week. I have several ex-Airnet pilots working for me.

Hardest thing about training ex-freight dogs is that they are not allowed to take charter passengers through rough weather.

My mistake then on the getting paid to fly part. Please disregard.

But don't disregard the Bite Me!

How dare call someone I respect an "idiot"!!!

I posted this thread to express my excitement that he's got his first flying gig outside of instructing!!! How dare you bring your bitterness to this thread!!!

You've crossed the line.

If you cannot share in someone elses excitement - then so be it - but keep it to yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
But don't disregard the Bite Me!

How dare call someone I respect an "idiot"!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey if you look closer you'll see he didint call Doug an idiot. He called the people that Doug thinks or gods idiots. One of the things I like about this forum is people dont just lay down in front of Doug and praise everything he says (though Doug is a really cool guy) sometimes they chalenge his opinion and hey everyone has there opinion..

R2F was refering to his instructor not Doug.

Correct me if I'm wrong though...

Edit: Damnit viper...got hit with the 60 second rule!!
grin.gif

I think John was referring to the people Doug described and to be honest I have to agree. You would never get me 'landing a Beech Baron, single pilot, with a bin full of boxes, no de-ice boots or radar, happily taxi towards the cargo pad'. Many people would say the same about crop dusters!

But well done to your instructor - moving up the career ladder is a great thing even though

Nah, peaceful debate is welcomed. Keyword "peaceful"!

I'm not the Dali Lama, nor did the greenskeeper from Bushwood Country club ever caddy for me.

The former freight guys brought a wealth of experience and I appreciated it because they had flown in some crappy weather in outrageous conditions and brought a lot of experience.

It's one thing to have a 19-year old instructor tell you not to fly in IMC near the freezing level, but it's something else to have a guy tell you about it, why not to do it and what happened when he did so.

But that's just my own personal opinion!
smile.gif

Iain is right. I was referring to the freight dogs that Doug referred to as gods. A question of re-referral LOL. Freight dogs who blast through bad weather are of questionable sanity.

And don't worry about the forum bozos blasting me guys - by their tempers I can see they'll make a great freight dogs someday
smile.gif

I certainly wouldn't trust my family in a plane with them flying! The passenger flying cockpit is no place for an uncontrolled temper.

Congradualtions to your friend, I think. Its kind of like your best friend getting married to a girl that you know is not right for him. You are happy for him on his big day but when reality sets in, you both will know it was a mistake. I believe it was the CEO of South West Airlines who said it best. He liked to hire Freight dogs because they have scared themselves • in those little airplanes with no weather avoidance systems and if they've lived through it he knew they would'nt do it in one of his airplanes. I guarantee in this game your risk assesment changes the longer you stay in it. The definition of Learning = A change in behavior based on an experience. Your friend is going to be learning alot, hopefully not the hard way. I am sure he will have alot of stories for you, and as you see fit share them here, good or bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back