High Performance Singles

stuckingfk

I would like to own an airplane someday, probably like everyone else on this board! I get free copies of Trade-A-Plane, Aero Trader, and Controller so I am always looking at planes for sale and along with others sorts of stuff.

It would be great to own a multi to fly single pilot IFR, but I think a high performance single would suit me best due to lower maintenance costs and still relatively high cruise speed.

I am going to put the cap at $175,000. Here is what I like in no particular order:

Any 210, Piper Lance, Mooney M20J, Commanche 250, or a T182RG.

What would everyone else here pick as a high performance single?

A F-16
grin.gif

We can always dream.

I'd say if you are going for a single a Cessna 210 is the best bet. It's got a huge payload, goes fast, you can get it with a turbo, de-icing boots and radar. To me it's the ultimate utility single for a decent price. Oh yeah, you can get pressurization on the things too.

Cheers

John Herreshoff

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say if you are going for a single a Cessna 210 is the best bet. It's got a huge payload, goes fast, you can get it with a turbo, de-icing boots and radar. To me it's the ultimate utility single for a decent price. Oh yeah, you can get pressurization on the things too.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah....and a prop/engine overhaul (on a T210) is only $52,000!
wink.gif

They are nice planes...but expensive.
smirk.gif

John,

The 210 is what I would rather have too. Many were built, so finding parts shouldn't be a problem.

The P210's are great but I would imagine more expensive to maintain than a non pressurized T210. For a little less maintenance cost, I would wear the oxygen masks when needed. And you are right, they are fast. The P210R has a max speed of 225 kts at 20,000 ft. The T210M has a max speed of 205 kts. These are their max numbers but it is pretty fast for a single.

You can expect a TAS of around 175-180 or so kts. at 10,000 ft. in a T210N. Groundspeeds over 200 are definitely not uncommon.

My wife's uncle owns a T210 Centurrion II. Loves the plane and I've flown it a tad. Handles great, flys fast and has plenty of room. Good plane, though I don't know how much he paid for it.

[ QUOTE ]
What would everyone else here pick as a high performance single?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cirrus SR-22!

Photo

Just a little pricey though!
smile.gif

Heck yeah. The SR-22 is an awesome airplane that flies really fast for a fixed gear. Yes, the price is a little steep, but it would be fun to own one.

Supposedly, UND will be the launch customer New Piper aircraft in 2005. Since UND is buying the aircraft, it isn't going to be that expensive. My bet is on a beefed up Arrow, maybe 250-300 HP with an all glass panel. UND would buy that for our systems class and the flying that goes with it.

Considered a Beech Bonanza A36? Cool airplanes with a lot of room. Mooney's are lots of fun but nowhere near the payload of a 210 or the like. Depends on what you would be doing with it I would guess.

I have about 10 hours in an SR-22 and it is nothing short of awesome! TAS at 8,000' of 180 knots at 75% power is great! The climb performance at max gross weight far exceeds any single I've flown or seen.

Shweeet! That thing looks like a frikin space ship!

And the best part is you'll never, ever forget to lower your gear!

Fuel burn is about 13 GPH. About the same as other hi-perf singles. The thing is....At economy cruise, you still do about 160 TAS!

This subject raises a question regarding an alternative form of ownership to one of these birds....

Let's say you had the financial means to acquire a Cirrus or the like. Do you all think it would be possible to, in effect, lease it out to a flight school or others to help alleviate, or even cover the monthly payment and maintenance?

I guess if this were the case I would just schedule myself in when I wanted to fly...

Thoughts?

The Lance, Commanche, and M20 is the best value out of what you listed in about that order.

If you want fixed, look for the Cherokee 6, or Cessna 206, and they'll come in well under your price point. The Cherokee still being one of the best values out, as you can get an ok one for around $65-70k and have enough left over to either put in and entire new radio stack to your liking, or new engine if it needs, and still have $$ leftover to maintain it for 10 years.

Josh

I have been flying a 1981 Saratoga a bunch over the past few weeks and I have decided its a pretty good aircraft. Its pretty fast, has a high useful load, and can carry plenty of fuel. The Lance is ok, but Im not a big fan if the older Piper wing.

I love the Bonanza A36, but I dont think there are many around for for the kind of money you are looking to spend.

Cant say for the high performance cessnes but got about 70 hrs in a Beech Bonanza A36TC Flight plan around 180 TAS summer time we fly at 15 to 20 and suck oxygen. Ground speed depends alot on the winds ive seen 135 to 240 on the GPS. I love the Beech Bonanza its so easy to fly and just looks sexy.

Back