High and Cleared for the Visual-WWYD?

Trip7

You're at 10,000ft 6 miles away from the airport(TDZE sea level) on downwind abeam the numbers and clean config at 180 knts. You've been cleared for the visual. With respect to your specific aircraft WWYD to get it down?

Scream in panic because we're 17 knots above Vne (C172).

You're at 10,000ft 6 miles away from the airport(TDZE sea level) on downwind abeam the numbers and clean config at 180 knts. You've been cleared for the visual. With respect to your specific aircraft WWYD to get it down?

Select flaps 20 with enough speedbrakes to establish a good descent rate that is still comfortable for the passengers.....extend the downwind......plan turning a 6 or 7 mile final.

I know there's alot CR200 guys on here so they can chime in.

I would drop the gear, go flaps 30, power idle, full spoilers, and pitch down for about 160. Plan my base to set up about a 5-6 mile final and go flaps 45 as I'm turning final and slow to Ref

I probably would not extend the gear at 10,000'. I'd rather extend the pattern and wait until some lower altitude...a more normal landing "slot". It's just too much noise for the customers.

I probably would not extend the gear at 10,000'. I'd rather extend the pattern and wait until some lower altitude...a more normal landing "slot". It's just too much noise for the customers.

:yeahthat:

We have some CA's and FO's that will put the gear down at 250 to slow down and get down fast. I just look at them and ask if they know how much noise it makes.

Configure for landing -- gear and landing flaps, slow to Vref plus 10 - 20, idle thrust until 1000-1500 agl then stabilized. Adjust pattern as necessary for rate of descent.

No spoilers necessary.

Well, in the new plane, I'd type "Abeam the numbers on downwind, how can I get down?"

The reply from Mother would most likely be "Available Data insufficient". Or, "I'm sorry, I can't do that, Lloyd".

Scream in panic because we're 17 knots above Vne (C172).

Pitch up because I'm only 5kts over Vne and simultaneously reduce power to 15". As I slow, as soon as I break 140kts, flaps ten, then 100kts flaps full. Once I hit 80kts I should already be well into the beginnings of a good descent, if I pull the power off all the way I could probably make a base turn at a spot that would put me at a 3 mile final. If you're heavy, the sled will fall at 2000-2500ft per nautical mile at 80kts. If you're heavy.

funny, as I pass SFO that's exactly how I'm set up, just in case they give it to me. It's flaps 15 and pwr idle as I call for the geardown before landing checklist, then flaps 25 and start the turn inside of the bridge, square it up nice and pretty and add power at 1500 . . . works great! (and it's fun!):rawk:

I was the Mad Dog King -- wasn't a visual that I couldn't throw out the slats and get it on speed, on glidepath and configured at 1000AFE.

These Boeings, to me, descend like dirigibles.

I was the Mad Dog King -- wasn't a visual that I couldn't throw out the slats and get it on speed, on glidepath and configured at 1000AFE.

These Boeings, to me, descend like dirigibles.

The 'Dog was a great airplane to handfly below 10K. Seems to me that I remember being 250kias on ten mile final and you could be comfortably and safely configured by 1000'.

These Boeings are too clean...just won't slow down...especially the 757.

I know there's alot CR200 guys on here so they can chime in.

I would drop the gear, go flaps 30, power idle, full spoilers, and pitch down for about 160. Plan my base to set up about a 5-6 mile final and go flaps 45 as I'm turning final and slow to Ref

This happens all the time in ATL when they surprise you with a visual and short approach. Most guys use flaps at 20 and full boards. If autopilots still flying select speed mode and it'll come down around 3500 fpm. Once you're low enough turn inbound and gear/flaps 30 at the marker or if it's short approach when turning base.

since im still a student pilot flying little planes i would do a forward slip ALL the way down,and tell every one,HOLD ON WERE GOING DOWN!!!!!!LOL!!!oh yeah 180 is fun in the Bellanca,(did IT!)

This happens all the time in ATL when they surprise you with a visual and short approach. Most guys use flaps at 20 and full boards. If autopilots still flying select speed mode and it'll come down around 3500 fpm. Once you're low enough turn inbound and gear/flaps 30 at the marker or if it's short approach when turning base.

Yeah that sounds even better.

The 'Dog was a great airplane to handfly below 10K. Seems to me that I remember being 250kias on ten mile final and you could be comfortably and safely configured by 1000'.

These Boeings are too clean...just won't slow down...especially the 757.

I remember my last leg on IOE on the 75, coming up from MCO at ATL, 6000 (I can't remember as I've only flown in ATL once in two years) abeam the numbers on downwind, then approach clears us for the visual and requests a short approach.

I looked over at Hop, the check pilot and said, "Help! How? :)"

Mad dog's a piece of cake: "Bring 'em straight out to 11", dive dive dive! :)

But to people who haven't flown both aircraft, the flap/slat philosophies are different. On the Douglas equipment, flaps are drag & high lift devices. Need to get down? Start dirtying up.

On the 757/767, flaps are thought of as "high lift" devices, used to decrease manuevering speed when flying slow and really shouldn't be thought of as drag devices like the Douglas.

I'd better go back and re-read that as I think I confused myself.

Spot On

Well, in the new plane, I'd type "Abeam the numbers on downwind, how can I get down?"

The reply from Mother would most likely be "Available Data insufficient". Or, "I'm sorry, I can't do that, Lloyd".

Hal-9000.jpg

RESET ALT SEL?

Back