High and Cleared for the Visual-WWYD?

No spoilers necessary.

Seems like every week when I get on an RJ during the descent I see spoilers pop out. Has descent planning gone the way of the Dodo?

Well, in the new plane, I'd type "Abeam the numbers on downwind, how can I get down?"

Look Lloyd, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

WHO's descent planning?

Seems like every week when I get on an RJ during the descent I see spoilers pop out. Has descent planning gone the way of the Dodo?

ATC: Cross LTOWN at 10,000.
Pilot: Cleared pilot's discretion to cross LTOWN at 10,000.
[idle thrust descent planned at 290 knots]

Pilot: Center, Underpaid 1855 leaving FL360 for LTOWN at 10,000.
ATC: Roger.

[three minutes pass by]

ATC: Underpaid 1855 slow to 250 knots for spacing.
Pilot: Roger.

[out come the speedbrakes]

You're at 10,000ft 6 miles away from the airport(TDZE sea level) on downwind abeam the numbers and clean config at 180 knts. You've been cleared for the visual. With respect to your specific aircraft WWYD to get it down?

Also sounds like St Louis... except they also throw in a "keep it tight, jet traffic on 7 mile final, report your base turn."

Autopilot (option not installed) off, Flight Director (option not installed) off, Power to idle, props full forward, flaps 17, gear down, spoilers (not installed) stowed, pitch for 3,000ft/min descent at 180kts, turn base, report the base, planning for a 1-1/2 or 2 mile final, slow to Vapp of 140kts and flaps 35 in the turn to final, before landing checklist.

Slats extend, flaps 18, full speed brakes, idle clamp. That'll give you about 3,000 fpm at 180 knots in the 717. You could still turn inside the marker. Sometimes it's nice flying a Boeing that was designed by Douglas. ;)

Slats extend, flaps 18, full speed brakes, idle clamp. That'll give you about 3,000 fpm at 180 knots in the 717. You could still turn inside the marker. Sometimes it's nice flying a Boeing that was designed by Douglas. ;)

Does the 717 still have:

Slats Extend
Flaps: 11, 15, 28 and 30?
Dial-A-Flap?

At Southernjets, we left the "Dial A Flap" set at 23 because 23 was like hanging big barn doors and were great for descending on the approach.

We have dial-a-flap, but it's only used for takeoff, and it only goes up to 20 degrees. The fixed detents are 13, 18, 25, and 40. The gear horn comes on if you go to 25 without the gear down, but flaps 18 is usually plenty.

I'm just imagining being typed in a DC-9, but both round dials of the DC-9 AND the EFIS setup of the 717 would freak me the hell out!

You're at 10,000ft 6 miles away from the airport(TDZE sea level) on downwind abeam the numbers and clean config at 180 knts. You've been cleared for the visual. With respect to your specific aircraft WWYD to get it down?

Slap the thrust lever back to flight idle, peg the VSI down, point the nose to 1/2 mile final.

God bless the 208!

Nick already chimed in with the reasoning.... and I guess I'm just a pitiful pilot, but a lot of times in ATL specifically, it seems like you can't get by without deploying the spoilers. I suppose when we realize they want us to make a tight approach we could just say unable....

180 knots? Easy.

Boards out.

Flaps 22, gear down.

Flaps 45 on speed at the marker.

Turn it in at the marker.

Slow (160kts), then descend. . .energy management through the various means already discussed (flap configuration, gear, spoilers), make your turn to final 1500ft AGL at 5SM for a proper 3* glidepath - if possible, if not, extend the downwind and turn accordingly for an appropriate 3* glidepath at the distance you will be dropping yourself in on.

Or - just wing it. . .but be smooth. . .

Oh yeah - TRY to be standard. . .good luck.

I was the Mad Dog King -- wasn't a visual that I couldn't throw out the slats and get it on speed, on glidepath and configured at 1000AFE.

These Boeings, to me, descend like dirigibles.

I can't comment on the new Boeings but I have done it in the 727. The key is getting it completely configured before descending or it just will not slow down or stay slow in a steep descent. If it is a visual we have until 500 feet to be stable by. It also helps that there are no PAX in the back.

ONT is always fun for us. They always leave us high at PETIS and make us earn our money to hit 26R

Havn't flown an ATR but if its like most twin TP there is no such thing as high and fast or maybe I've just been flying the King Air to much

SF 340
PL - Flight Idle
CL - Max
VS - >-3500 til about 3000 agl
(gives a speed of about 200-210)

at 3000agl
VS - <-2000
Gear Down
turn base
175kts Flaps 15
turn final 1500agl
160kts
Flaps 20, Final Check
On glide slope stabilized by 1000 agl.

That is a Left Downwind into 33 in ROA if they wont give you lower than 11K for traffic.

Key is not being limp wristed with the airplane and not hesitating.

Hoooray for T-Props!!!!:)

Back