hey you new york guys

Philip

I remember someone posting directions from LGA to the center but I can't find them.

I'm flying into LGA, staying at a hotel right by JFK. Should I just cab it the 12 miles to JFK? It looks like I'm walking distance to the center :confused: then cab it back?
I get in sunday at like 1730 so I don't know and I've never been to NYC before.

I remember someone posting directions from LGA to the center but I can't find them.

I'm flying into LGA, staying at a hotel right by JFK. Should I just cab it the 12 miles to JFK? It looks like I'm walking distance to the center :confused: then cab it back?
I get in sunday at like 1730 so I don't know and I've never been to NYC before.

Someone had posted that there is a shuttle that runs from LGA to JFK and it costs $12.

oh snap. that's cheap. me likey cheap.
I'm staying at the holiday inn express sun/mon if anyone wants to grab a bite or shoot the ####.

I just met someone to split the hotel(same hotel as you) but I will be there the 8th-10th otherwise for sure would..... still am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you since you seem to be the first wave through there.

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express too, I couldn't tell if it was walking distance or not. Any way to pinch pennies is great for me, but I wasn't too sure about hoofing it from there with suitcase in tow.. Anyone with local knowledge have any insight?

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Express too, I couldn't tell if it was walking distance or not. Any way to pinch pennies is great for me, but I wasn't too sure about hoofing it from there with suitcase in tow.. Anyone with local knowledge have any insight?

Local here. It's only a quick cab ride...I gave some suggestions of cheaper, reliable companies in the NY PEPC thread.

it sure looks like it to me dude

A is the hotel and B is the center I believe, it's like less than 2 blocks

Attachments

• hotel-artcc.jpg
    hotel-artcc.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 110
it sure looks like it to me dude

A is the hotel and B is the center I believe, it's like less than 2 blocks

LOL @ walking distance...if it's on the other side of the expressway, then forget it.

You'd have to be suicidal to walk along a major road out here. Just a head's up (someone's pic of the road from Google Images...just envision bumper to bumper traffic here):
002.JPG

Just get a cab; it's not going to be that much.

Anyone gonna be at the Howard Johnson between the July 5-7? wanna get together for a dinner or maybe go into the city for some bagels and pizza?:nana2:

Go to Lombardi's... Best pizza in NYC.

I'm all over that.... Just read it is the oldest pizzeria and that it is 17miles from the test site and area I will be staying at.... hopefully the cab fair won't be TOO high..... I could do some sight seeing while I'm that way to make the cab fair worth while. :buck:

I'm all over that.... Just read it is the oldest pizzeria and that it is 17miles from the test site and area I will be staying at.... hopefully the cab fair won't be TOO high..... I could do some sight seeing while I'm that way to make the cab fair worth while. :buck:

If you're going that far, a train ride would be more cost-effective.

Sooner, I have some insight on NYC if you want it...(take trains, but pay attention to express and local trains)

Take the number 6 train to Little Italy. Lombardi's is on Spring Street. You will recognize it from the Mona Lisa portrait painted outside. The pizza is OUTSTANDING! It might seem expensive for pizza, but it is well worth it. If you are going by yourself, get a smaller pizza. The large is huge. They do not take reservations on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Don't be surprised if you have to wait around 45 minutes. They only take cash, but have an ATM on site if needed.

Other places of interest:
-Canal Street: knockoffs of anything you want... It will appear straight HOOD for someone from the midwest, but is well worth the visit. Haggle to get the best deals. I got a Louis Vuitton wallet for $15 and it has held up very, very well.
-Manhattan Cruises: located at Chelsea Pier... Two hour sunset cruise around lower Manhattan, to Statue of Liberty, under Brooklyn Bridge, etc. It is around $50 a ticket, but it is worth it if you have money to spend. You also get a free alcholic drink with your ticket and finger foods.
-Ginza's: Japanese food on Upper East Side on Lexington Avenue... GREAT food. Open for dinner until atleast 1 AM.
-WTC: Very depressing... The 'feeling' on the PATH train actually changes when you arrive at WTC. It is worth going there because the site means soo much to Americans now.
-I have other suggestions if you or anyone else wants to hear them...

Sooner, I have some insight on NYC if you want it...(take trains, but pay attention to express and local trains)

Take the number 6 train to Little Italy. Lombardi's is on Spring Street. You will recognize it from the Mona Lisa portrait painted outside. The pizza is OUTSTANDING! It might seem expensive for pizza, but it is well worth it. If you are going by yourself, get a smaller pizza. The large is huge. They do not take reservations on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Don't be surprised if you have to wait around 45 minutes. They only take cash, but have an ATM on site if needed.

Other places of interest:
-Canal Street: knockoffs of anything you want... It will appear straight HOOD for someone from the midwest, but is well worth the visit. Haggle to get the best deals. I got a Louis Vuitton wallet for $15 and it has held up very, very well.
-Manhattan Cruises: located at Chelsea Pier... Two hour sunset cruise around lower Manhattan, to Statue of Liberty, under Brooklyn Bridge, etc. It is around $50 a ticket, but it is worth it if you have money to spend. You also get a free alcholic drink with your ticket and finger foods.
-Ginza's: Japanese food on Upper East Side on Lexington Avenue... GREAT food. Open for dinner until atleast 1 AM.
-WTC: Very depressing... The 'feeling' on the PATH train actually changes when you arrive at WTC. It is worth going there because the site means soo much to Americans now.
-I have other suggestions if you or anyone else wants to hear them...

You the man!! that is awesome info and I love the local insight b/c I do plan to do the whole tourist thing while I'm there, Thanks!!

If anyone wants to swim in the lovely Atlantic ocean, put their feet in the sand, and play with horseshoe crabs, it's only a short drive/cab/train+cab away (30-40mins)..."Fire Island"' is the place.

lastqh9.jpg

Beach%20896.JPG

There's only parking lots on either end of the huge barrier island, and no road in-between (only walkways and bike paths). It's a lovely, lovely place. There are some rare species of plants, trees, and animals that aren't seen anywhere else in the world. I would be happy to elaborate, if anyone's interested...

Also, there are some cute restaurants and shops in a mini-town on the island...and bars, and clubs. And oiled homosexual men in speedos, if that is your thing.

If you're interested in wildlife and the sciences, we have quite a bit of rare estuary/marshland areas that are worth checking out - blue herons, massive rock deposits from glacial retreats...you name it.

909878170_0de951650f_b.jpg
909816622_0871180205_b.jpg

34620277dscf0152acropbf9.jpg

Okay, done advertising...

bitchy, those pictures make the ocean look so much nicer than it actually is lol... although maybe it is nicer out there on Long Island... I'm used to the good ol' Jersey shore :rolleyes:

Back