Hey dudes...

chunk75

JC FSI regulars,

I know it's been a while since I've posted (been on the road) but I am in Vero now. Staying at a hotel until our apt at the Pines opens up. I'm waiting to class up this Friday and fairly stir-crazy living in a hotel. Gimme a call and I'll buy the first round (Baronman, you only get PBR)...

Chunk

(Kevin -- 772-696-0777)

Hey Chunk man...

What 's up Civilian, Welcome home, it's good to hear that you and you family got there safe and sound.

Hey man if it's cool, Keep us filled in on your progress.

I will be starting at FSI this Sept, so It will be my turn to buy you and the rest of the "JC FSI regulars" a round /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

And speaking about the pines opening up, another waiting list.
how hard is it, to get an apartment close to the school.?

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Housing availability was pretty sad, unless you're willing to pay big $$ (I consider 900/month big bucks...I haven't paid rent in 3 years, I'm in sticker shock). If you're single, I'd stay at FSI dorms then find a roomate. I can't move into the pines until the 1st. I'm paying 720 for a 2/2 with ceramic tiles rather than linoleum. Pretty 70's styling. Wish we could've stayed at Canterbury, but they were too small.

Seeya,

Chunk

Chunk,
Good to hear you made it safely back to the U.S. Don't spend too much time gawking at all the stuff in Wal-Mart, and gorging yourself in the buffets...God Bless America. We all are expecting progress reports when you are able.

Hey Chunk, I discovered the same thing . . after looking for several days, I decided to stay on campus in one of the "bunglows"(their terminology). I guess I will see you Friday.
Keith (299-4857)

See you tomorrow!

I have orientation tomorrow. Should be interesting to see how many are in my class.

'See ya around campus!

Chunk

Re: See you tomorrow!

Hey Chunk-

I've got a Frasca & a brief tomorrow, but maybe I'll swing by the academic building to check you out. Nevertheless, good luck tomorrow!

'naut

Chunk, I have followed your posts on here for a while now. I wanted to say thanks. I am saving the money for my own career switch and it's encouraging to see you made it to FSA. I have a PPL with Instrument and about 300hrs. I received all the info from Flight Safety and I am impressed with the program although the cost is considerable. I have decided not to borrow any of the money as I have a wife and son to consider. I am looking at late 2003 for a start date, but will continue to read your posts and follow your progression. Good luck.

I have groupies...I love it!

Well, the first day was interesting. I was there too early. Oh well. I felt like I had screwed up until I saw how some of the people dressed....insane! If you guys are reading this...this is a potential employer folks, remember that! The first coupla days until you get your uniform is the only time to show whether you know how to dress professionally! I hope I'm not offending people...just stating my honest opinion, as always.

Orientation was pure vanilla...met Mr. Larry Skovvard (sp?), the center director, met the CP, etc. etc. All positive gentlemen. A lot of marketing stuff. No hype,really, which was nice. Everyone was *really* nice. Very professional. It made me happy, it was just as I had hoped. Professionalism, solid program, no hype. The uniforms leave something to be desired, 'course...I'm an ex-squid, therefore and expert on odd-fitting, goofy looking uniforms. It's not all that bad, I guess, just too much polyester in one outfit! Had a great conversation with the ladies in the VA/financial aid office while it rained cats and dogs outside. The only bummer is the news that it'll be a while before we are allowed to fly. I understand the reasoning, just sucks! /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

Overall rating: A+. Reinforced my theory today that one should always seek out the best training, and FSI is it! What's up this weekend? Lotsa reading/studying!

I watched Undercover Brother and Sum of All Fears tonight.

Undercover is totally hilarious. Sum didn't live up to the book, does any movie? I'm a huge Clancy fan, suprised he signed off on Ben Affleck to be Jack Ryan....Ben Affleck? Are you kidding me?

Anyway.....hasta

Chunk

Hahaha, I was actually in the smaller building today, where you were Chunk. I don't usually go in there but had to see the staff and walked right by your class. I looked in, to get an idea of the class, but I hadn't been to JetC. so I didn't know you were here/starting. Well, good for you. Welcome. Remember to study a lot and find Bandito's ( of course only after your studying).
Oh yeah your right, a lot of the people weren't dressed to impress. But, that was nothing compared to a guy from my class who showed up with his uniform shirt tails hanging out. He said he just didn't feel like tucking them in. URRRGGG!!! Funny, he didn't last too long.

Hey Chunk Man,

Yo bro, live it up, we all get our 15 min's of fame. But remember the only one here with some real groupies is Doug. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif

So I take it that, the uniform of the day was not bermuda shorts, a gene simmons t-shirt and lofers. /ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif

But seriously, thanks for bringing up the issue of the dress code. People tend to forget that you never get a second chance to make a good first impression. And on that note, which one get's the vote:

Suit and tie or business casual ?

I bet this day, was a long time comming. /ubbthreads/images/icons/smile.gif must have felt good to finally, become a civilian and get your training started. man when I got out of the active duty navy it took me a while just to chill out. but hey man, soon your going to be so busy that you might not have the time to regularly post. So I appreciate the head's up, this gouge is helping out big time.

Hey chunk, did they say how long a typical day was going to be? and how soon before you are up in a cockpit flying?

I'm big on clancy too, they should have stayed with harrison ford on this one, he did a decent jack ryan on the last one.

Two movies for the price of one, VB has it great! Here in New York the tickets prices are so high, that you either have to donate blood or give up your mother in law and since I gave up enough blood last year, guess who's history. /ubbthreads/images/icons/laugh.gif

Keep those sitreps comming & stay safe.

Best Regards,
Heat2151

Hey Chunk,

Thanks for the info. I am moving there June 27 and beginning the Private Audit on July 1. A couple questions:

Is orientation one day or Friday, Saturday, and Sunday?

What dress do you recommend prior to uniform issues?

Lastly, why is it a while before you fly? What do you start off doing?

Thanks again Chunk! All of us future students really appreciate your advice and updates.

Hey Chunk,

Glad you made it! I had the same positive experience my enrollment day and FSI has lived up to what I expected ever since.

Are you starting with the audit or going right into commercial?

aca_dia

Orientation is the Friday before your class start date. Tie is not neccesary, in fact just having a collar puts you in the top 10%! Business casual is just fine. It's not the most important thing in the world, but having just come from the military, I forgot that given the liberty to wear anything, some will do just that...wear anything! It shocked me a bit, even with forewarning (Thanks 'naut)

Orientation was from 8 till 3. Show up at 0745. I start Pvt Audit next monday. This month, audit is from 1300-1700. That's it. 4 hours. I assume the rest of the time is personal study time! Audit is 2 weeks, then I start commercial ground school. Flying doesn't start until second week of commercial, so a total of 3 weeks.

Vero is definately a small town....more on that later.

Chunk

kdwilkes,

You'll get your shirts on the first day, so for the first week until you get your uniform pants, you wear your shirt, epaulets, wings, etc. with whatever pants you have.

If you show up early, I'd suggest getting your books in advance. Saves a lot of hassle the day of orientation. Here's a coupla hints on books:

Get the list ahead of time...you may very well have a lot of this stuff already (plotter, Aviation Weather AC, etc. etc.) If you are in pvt audit, you DON'T need the "CR-3 Computer" regardless of what the list says. Use your E-6B! Uhhh..I'll post more later, if I remember anything or as I learn them.

Good Luck,

Chunk

Chunk, I would also be coming in with a PPL and an Instrument rating. How much did it knock off the price? I have a price sheet from FSI which has the Comm ME IFR from 0 time going for 44,000. I added on the Comm SE and CFI which list for about 11000 total. I am just trying to get some idea what the total is going to come out to. I guess I could train Pt 61 since I have all the hour requirements (about 300tt). I am planning to take a trip down to FSA later in the summer. Any input on how much you budgeted would be appreciated. Thanks.

AirportRat. I have the same price sheet you have, but I also have a Pro Forma Invoice for the Commercial Multi-Engine Instrument Add-on which goes for $7820. Since you already have PPL - Instrument, you're very close to being able to jump in at the CME rating and then go right to CFI initial. CME is where I am starting at FSA in August. Cheers.

Thanks for that info.....thats a big difference. Is that for someone who has a commercial SE already? You may have moved my timeframe up considerably. Good luck with your training.

AirportRat. I am Commercial SEL right now, so that's what I went to the tour with and gathered all my info for. I toured ATA, FSA, and Comair extensively. Even flew out to FL from LA twice in 3 weeks. Feel free to call me if you want any detailed info (310-446-1945 Mark). Cheers.

Back