Hey Doug are you a "superstar"?

Re: Hey Doug are you a \"superstar\"?

Doug, if you really appreciate having more power when you need it. (Like trying to merge on the beltway, or do the more civilized drivers live down there??) I'd highly recommend up larger engine. You won't be sorry. We got 20 mpg with 4 people and stuff out to Wisc. And you gotta check out the nav system with it. It'll just blow your mind.
smile.gif

And I always like free beer. As long as its Guiness!

[ QUOTE ]
c441961a.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, I miss San Francisco!
frown.gif
That shot is from Treasure Island, a former Navy training center, now Mayor Willie Brown's private island getaway!

[ QUOTE ]
Guiness is the ONLY beer(worth drinking that is).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the truth!!!

Doug,

It seems that you like to keep cars for a long time. If this is true then the Volvo is an excellent choice. Their longevity is legendary. Incidentally, why did you write "eek!" regarding the 5 cylinder turbo engine? I have a Volvo sedan with essentially the same engine that has nearly 250,000 miles on it (including the original turbo). Enjoy!

[ QUOTE ]
Guiness is not a beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite right!

Guiness is a meal
smile.gif

Guiness is a STOUT!! I used to be able to put a shamrock on the top which actually looked pretty top notch. I got complimented by an Irish lady about it once.

That's about the only thing a lady would compliment Iain on, too.
shocked.gif

Sorry Iain, couldn't resist. Just because I don't know you doesn't mean I can't poke fun, right?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Like you need AC in AZ??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah no kidding. I drove my ford probe 1700 miles to Phoenix in August one year and as soon as I get into AZ my AC clunks. I was pretty happy. It was like having a brand new sauna installed into my car.
I bet Jay-Z doesn't even have a sauna in his ride.

Window Seat,
I find that picture extremely offensive. Please, for my part, refrain from posting anything NASCAR related. Thank you
wink.gif

Doug, are you perhaps in need of a buyer for your old car or did you trade it in? I'm kinda/not really in the market for a cheap used car, and I'm sure you took care of your old one.

and AC in AZ? Who needs that with a 150 mph wind chill ?
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Window Seat,
I find that picture extremely offensive. Please, for my part, refrain from posting anything NASCAR related. Thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL Oh My God a RACE SNOB!!!

Race Snob? Maybe.
grin.gif

I try not to discriminate against other forms of motorsports, but driving in a circle at 200mph bumping into everyone else is not racing.

Please don't get me started on NASCAR. please...I'm begging you.
wink.gif

funny but it seems that the NASCAR guys always win IROC
smile.gif

Turn on the TV tomorrow - you'll see NASCAR on a road course.

You'll also see the fast growing commercial commodity in the sports world today. Admittedly Formula 1 cars are cool and exciting, but not very popular in the US. I wish they were, as I like all forms of racing.

It used to be that NASCAR was a bunch of rednecks driving in circles and spitting tobacco on each other. Times have changed. You need to move with the times
smile.gif

Bloody hell John, I begged you no. Now you've gone and done it...

DISCLAIMER: I will try very hard to refrain from any comment which could be construed as a personal attack. However, this is a topic that gets me all riled up, so if I offend you in anyway (besides my deep undying hatred for stock car racing) John, please accept my most humble apologies. I have nothing against you or NASCAR fans personally, I just have no respect or interest with the "sport" you hold so dear.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn on the TV tomorrow - you'll see NASCAR on a road course.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to give them a little credit for even trying, but the sport's attempt at road courses has been laughable. I watched a few minutes of Watkin's Glen last year, and I literally fell off the couch laughing at these guys try and handle a road course. They were practically jumping the rubmle strips on a few of the corners, and you could tell most of them were having a tough time. To illustrate my point, take the idiotic "Tradin' Paint" event that took place at Indy a few weeks ago. They gave Jeff Gordon a shot at driving the FW24 (Williams/BMW's entry in F1 this year) around the Brickyard. ROFLMAO! They were doing the oval at Indy and Gordon couldn't keep it on the track. Montoya (Juan Pablo) did just fine in the NASCAR, in fact he was only +1.1 seconds off Gordon's time. Of course it's totally irrelevant because it was a) an exhibition and b) the OVAL at Indy.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll also see the fast growing commercial commodity in the sports world today. Admittedly Formula 1 cars are cool and exciting, but not very popular in the US. I wish they were, as I like all forms of racing.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, now I am a little ticked. The reason F1 doesn't have a following in the US is because of NASCAR. If Speedvision and all the other networks are all packed with NASCAR programming then where's the time for F1? If you erased NASCAR completely I promise you F1 would be just as big here as it is in the rest of the world. It's why America is so great, choices. If American's have the choice between watching home town boys driving American cars (how that's entertainment is beyond me) and watching foreigners driving foreign cars around foreign tracks (we just got the US GP back) then it's a no brainer which sport is going to be more popular.

Formula 1 is, imo, the highest form of auto racing but that is not my reason for hating NASCAR. I simply cannot, will not, and do not devote any of my time watching or reading about auto racing which involves oval tracks. Plain and simple, that's not competative racing. Assume your not a top money winner, you will not have the best equipment, which means you will not qualify as high, which means when you start at the back on an oval track, barring technical failure of everyone in front of you or a miracle, you have ZERO chance of a podium finish. In "true" (again, my definition) motorsports all teams have at least a shot at a podium. For example In MotoGP (the motorcycle world's version of F1) there is a relatively new team called Proton. They do not have the funding of the powerhouses (Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Ducati) and as a result they have a medicore, at best, piece of machinery. Jermey McWilliams rode the [expletive deleted] out of it and placed 6th, which althought isn't on the podium, is extremely good for a small team like Proton. I challenge you to convince me that NASCAR takes more driver/team talent, technical ability, and engineering skill then any of the other forms of racing I've listed above (MotoGP, F1, ALMS, WRC, Enduro).

Still not satisfied? Then check out a replay of MotoGP @ Catalunya (2003)*. When's the last time you saw Dale Jr. spin out and recover from mid-pack to place 2nd? That's one race, this one season. I won't even talk about the epic battles of the past. Epic NASCAR battles? You mean a whole race when they can go the full distance and not hit each other? Oh wait...that's probably never happened. Sorry, that got ugly.
tongue.gif

*Anyone interested I have the whole MotoGP season on my hard drive and will be more then happy to give you access to my FTP
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It used to be that NASCAR was a bunch of rednecks driving in circles and spitting tobacco on each other. Times have changed. You need to move with the times

[/ QUOTE ]
So tobacco is outlawed now?

Well you obviously have some stock car "issues." You haven't offended me in any way, but I will exercise my right to respectfully disagree with you on a few points.

Jeff Gordon's time on his 5th lap of the indy road course would have qualified him in the field for the F1 race there, so those comments are uncalled for. What was really laughable was the way Juan Pablo (who is an excellent driver, btw) was manhandling the brakes and burning up the tires in the turns during his try. He wouldn't have lasted 10 laps with that method. Admittedly he is used to the high technology and prohibitively over priced brakes of F1.

I love NASCAR for many reasons:

1) It is truly an American sport. It is also family oriented. I can watch NASCAR with my daughter and be pretty sure I won't be offended.

2) It is the sport for "the common man." You don't have to be a billionaire to compete in NASCAR (although it is starting to go that way.)

3) It is still competitive. You can watch a NASCAR race and pretty much guarantee that someone named Schumacher will not win every race. The playing field is much more level.

4) It is also commercially viable. Indeed it seems now that F1 and Indy Car (both USAC and CART) are becoming strictly "tobacco" leagues. This is probably due to the appeal that smoking still has in other parts of the world. The USA seems to be ahead of the game in that respect. I mean can you ever expect to see an F1 car sponsored by a homeowner's business like DeWalt or Lowe's? I may be wrong there, maybe Lowe's does some open wheel racing.

Now I am a Speed channel addict. I turn it off for WRC - that does absolutely nothing for me, sorry. I laugh at Kenny Schrader and Michael Waltrip on "Inside Winston Cup." I guess next year it will be "Inside NEXTEL Cup."

And finally, the Winston/NEXTEL Cup car was the most challenging car I've ever driven. I've done some go-cart racing, some USAC Midget, drove an IMSA GTP car around a parking lot once and even got to take an Indy car around a speedway up north. But the NASCAR experience was the most challenging. Why? Because it's hard to get that thing around a track and I have a huge amount of respect for those drivers. It is no surprise to me that Stock Car drivers dominate IROC.

Aint nutin' wrong with the good 'ole boys of NASCAR
smile.gif

By the way, we regularly have this discussion on our sunday morning radio show - www.racing-radio.com This is a non-profit show so I assume it's ok to post the link. If not I apologize.

It is webcast, too. Please call in sometime and say hello.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason F1 doesn't have a following in the US is because of NASCAR. If Speedvision and all the other networks are all packed with NASCAR programming then where's the time for F1? If you erased NASCAR completely I promise you F1 would be just as big here as it is in the rest of the world. It's why America is so great, choices. If American's have the choice between watching home town boys driving American cars (how that's entertainment is beyond me) and watching foreigners driving foreign cars around foreign tracks (we just got the US GP back) then it's a no brainer which sport is going to be more popular.

[/ QUOTE ]
No beef with you twothousand but I beg to differ with your point here. Southeners (ie majority of your NASCAR fan base) can level with a good ol boy from North Carolina or Tennessee. Sometimes they can even level with a guy like Jeff Gordon or Jimmie Johnson from California. They will not level with a guy from Brazil or Italy or wherever F1 drivers seem to hail from.
This is coming from 21 years in the South. I am not saying that Southerners who like NASCAR are all closed minded and hate anyone not from Dixie but majority of them just dont care from anyone not from the South! A good example is seen on MTVs "The Real World Paris" Ace from Statesboro GA is not taking too well to the French. He's a good ol boy.
Not trying to start a NASCAR-F1/North-South/Bloods-Crips thing!!!

John,

My apologies, the press release I had read said they were doing laps on the oval, not the road course. If that was the case then Gordon's 1:16.5 was respectable. I will also agree that JPM had no clue what he was doing in the NASCAR, but as you said, he's used to F1 brakes/handling (he did come from CART though) and I would imagine any F1 driver would do about the same. You state that JPM wouldn't last 10 laps, and I couldn't agree more, but the shoe fits the other way too. Gordon would be eaten alive by the likes of Schumacher and Raikkonen on any road circuit.

Please do not include F1 as a "Tobacco League", true there are major teams backed by cigarette companies, but there are just as many that are not. IRL and CART are lost causes and will soon be gone. Still, judging a sport by it's sponsors is like judging a person by the t-shirt they are wearing. Isn't Anheuser-Busch still sponsoring NASCAR some way or another?

Your points are the exact reason NASCAR is so popular in this country and it's also the reason it gets so much flak from people like me. To outsiders, NASCAR is seen as you described it earlier: a bunch of hicks driving in circles while more hicks who are tanked on Bud watch completely enthralled. It's the common man's sport without a doubt. I guess it's easier for people like me to hide behind an "elitest" sport like F1. That said, NASCAR may be changing, but my main reason for disliking it remains at it's core and always will. It's not competitive for the whole field, only the top 10 or so guys.

Your last comment takes me to another issue I have, the two-wheel / four-wheel debate. You said "it's hard to get that thing around a track" and you couldn't be more right. If you ever get the opportunity to take a superbike around a road course you will see exactly what I'm talking about. Your not fighting the course, your flowing with it. 4-wheel physics suck, the physics of 2-wheels are far superior
grin.gif

Thanks for that link, I will be sure to tune in for the next show. Despite what you may think, I'm always open to new things
smile.gif

John, let me also say that I am very impressed with your response and how tactfully you've dealt with our discussion. Most boards I've had the unfortunate pleasure of having this discussion on have turned into nothing more then flame wars with posts consisting of "NASCAR BLOWS" or "F1 IS GARBAGE". I'm glad we both got to state our opinions and it didn't get out of line. May not be a big deal for you, but this is my third or fourth time writing on this topic and it's a nice change.

Hey WillFly4... TOUCHE!! great one one the Mario Karts!!LOL!
grin.gif

Those are NASCAR Mario Karts right?

As Doug would say, now how about that Volvo...

Dude, what's my back say?
tongue.gif

Back