Hey Doug are you a "superstar"?

Re: Hey Doug are you a \"superstar\"?

NASCAR???? Remember when this "thread" was about Doug being a
"superstar" (lol)?

P.S. And this is just my opinion I find NASCAR stupid and boring, cars driving around in circles....yawn, what is the point?

NASCAR and F1 - all of Racing\'s superstars!

2000gt I appreciate your remarks. Your concept of NASCAR was certainly true 15-20 years ago. With the onset of drivers like Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, etc. the atmosphere is changing. There are actually drivers now with a complete set of teeth! Not all of the "down home, suthin' boys" are too happy about it, either. The stigma remains, however. I am not from the south originally, I was raised in NY. My mother is shocked and embarassed that I'm a NASCAR fan!

About my tone of response to you, well I figure if me or my sport can take a little criticism then we aren't worth much are we? By the way, for the record, my sport is motorsports, but I prefer NASCAR because it's so much easier to watch and understand than some other types.

Sorry I neglected your references to 2 wheeling. I am just not a 2 wheel guy. Why? It scares the hell out of me! I drove a CBR929 for a while and I had to get rid of it. I tried taking it around one of those SCCA road courses and did well but I was shaking, my heart was pounding, and I was sweating profusely. I looked over at my wife and daughter and said to myself, "Self? This bike has got to go..."

I have respect for motorcycle racing, sort of along the same lines as bungee jumpers and ski-divers. I respect them but they are nuts. Not sure I would trust a pilot who raced motorcycles! A little too much of a death wish if you ask me, but I suppose it's natural, as anyone who wants to fly a single engine cessna around the country must be a little nuts...

I think it's MotoGP that I watch on 2-wheel Tuesday that runs those European road courses. On the straights they out run the chase helicopters. Exciting, but I sit and shake my head
wink.gif

Back to 4 wheel racing, I think Kurt Busch has summed it up best. "Open Wheel racing is exciting and high tech, but NASCAR is 'the scene.' It's not about equipment or hardware, it's about collecting trophies." Kenny Schrader added, "If it has wheels, I'll race it."

Oh yeah, about the tobacco/alcohol issue. Obviously they are huge supporters of racing and no one knows how the sport would do without them. Consider though, that tobacco company RJ Reynolds is pulling out of NASCAR. There is no longer a single car that has tobacco on the hood. I think the France family would like the alcohol companies to gradually be replaced as well, as they realize the commercial value of "returning to family values" in America.

The Big Three beer companies are still car sponsors, and Busch sponsors the Grand National series. Smirnoff Ice comes in on Matt Kenseth's car once in a while.

Yes I watch the sponsors very closely. They are a key to understanding racing, as where the sponsors go, is where racing will go. Without them we will not have our favorite spectator sport.

One last statement. CART/IRL and USAC need to get their act together. Tony George is a smart man. I hope the parties involved realize that if they want to compete with NASCAR they need to start thinking like businessmen and not elitists. If not, they are doomed.

Re: NASCAR and F1 - all of Racing\'s superstars!

Seeing as though everyone is talking about racing, I thought I would too.

I really enjoy British, and European touring car racing. I dont know if you've seen it John but it's very exciting. They do get a little vicious sometimes, but it's great to watch such close racing.

WRC is also great.

I very seldom watch racing and the only racing I watch is rally Car! NASCAR is pretty crap if you ask me. What is the excitement of cars going around in circle tens of times?

If you guys are looking for real sports - polo is where it is at. It is like mixing horse racing and soccer into one - what a good combination!

Until you've actually tried to go around a circle tens of times at 200mph I suggest you don't knock it.

Polo is actually growing in popularity here in Orlando although unfortunately it is getting very "stuffed shirt", with wine and cheese on the green and all the SUV's parked by the field.

Too bad, because it is actually quite an athletic sport, both for the horse and rider!

4 friends and myself 'race' around town on these

gp1red.jpg

55mph isn't too shabby for a 50cc stock scooter. One friend has a metrakit HP kit on his and he'll do 75mph... crazy bugger. Scary when a 200 pound bike starts to wobble between your legs with nothing but asphalt to break your faces fall.

[ QUOTE ]
4 friends and myself 'race' around town on these

gp1red.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

WHOA!!!
Who ordered cool!?
smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I very seldom watch racing and the only racing I watch is rally Car! NASCAR is pretty crap if you ask me. What is the excitement of cars going around in circle tens of times?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. It's funny because my 60 year old corporate financing dad actually thinks he IS a rally car driver. HE sold his beamer in exchange for a brand new subaru wrx turbo. He takes this souped up new car out all the time on the back gravel roads in Colorado, chipping to hell fresh 2002 paint. I visited him once last year and thought I was going to die on every turn. He actually got a ticket going UP pikes peak beacuse of excessive brake temp. That's racing, where you can't see the next turn, but guaranteed there is a cliff to take you back to the starting line.

Go fast, turn left?
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Go fast, turn left?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
...repeat.

[ QUOTE ]
Formula 1 is, imo, the highest form of auto racing

[/ QUOTE ]

Highest form how? most expensive? most amount of driver aids, automataic clutch starts.. oh please

Rally drivers are the best race car drivers in the world, no contest and they don't get paid millions for winning races either. If you can drive a car at high speeds sideways on a (public) dirt road dodging trees sucessfully you can do just about anything. Can rally drivers drive well on the black stuff, yep, can circit racers drive well on the dirt, no.

Rallying isn't as popular as circuit racing because it's not a very good spectator sport, unless your in a helocopter you only get to see the cars go past once. That's why NASCAR is such a good sport to watch because you can always see what is going on at any one time, you can sit in your seat and follow the cars all the way round never losing contact, also the cars are close to idential so it is at least very competitive. Not to knock stock cars but they don't even come from the car factory anymore, unlike rally cars.

My idea of fun

Snow you forgot to mention the cliffs in Rally, going around a corner sideways with a cliff on the outside - now that is driving.

Lain, you just made a friend. I LOVE WRC (RALLY)! You think F1 is tough, try taking blind corners and jumps with dust in the air, you can hardly see, and.......oh yeah, youre goin 120 plus! And by the way, dont get too throttle happy, cause one corner too fast and youre takin the ride of your life right over a cliff in your Subaru!

Back