Hey Doug are you a "superstar"?

gay_pilot18

Hey Doug are you a \"superstar\"?

By that I mean I always hear you or other people on this site mentioning that your at some airport somewhere and that they see you.Or heard that you were there. Or that you always have people coming up to you asking if your "Doug" that guy who runs that site Jetcareers.

I have even heard people on this site say that when they fly Delta they peer into the cockpit to see if your flying or ask the pilots if they know of you?

Would you say that your the most popular most recognizable Delta pilot ? Do you ever get sick of being a "celebrity" at the airport and all the attention that comes with it?

Also since your so well known how do some of you co-workers treat you? Do they "raz" on you like "on my gosh I'm flying with mr. jetcareers.com himself". Or do they maybe respect you more because you do run this popular site.

Lastly I guess my next question would be do your fellow pilots or flight attendents ever talk to you about the site e.g. OMG Doug did you read that "post" on your website last week about "blank,blank,blank". Anyways hope to here from ya big guy.

P.S. Do people ever ask for your autograph
If so how scary is that?

Re: Hey Doug are you a \"superstar\"?

I will go out on a limb and say 99.9% of Doug's passengers have no idea about this site, and probably 75-80% of the pilots he fly with probably do not know either. A site about becoming a pilot probably isn't something most people visit often.

Doug and I bumped into each other going through security at DFW a few months ago.

Of course he knew by name only from our frequent exchanges on the ALPA web boards. We had a nice chat.

Doug, I wish you had told me you were a celebrity. I would have gotten an autograph.
wink.gif

In all seriousness, I would imagine that Doug is more well known among the ranks of the up and coming aviators. He has spent a tremendous amount of time and energy trying to give something back to the aviation community with this fantastic resource and meeting place for aspiring aviation professionals.

Nah, I'm just a regular guy and 99.99999999% of passengers don't know I run a website.

I do get the "Are you that guy from the website" pretty often, but I don't know if they mean jetcareers or the ALPA forums because I'm a huge loudmouth on the ALPA national and Delta ALPA forums. Just ask Dave Mohr!
smile.gif
Damn that Wil Frykman!

Probably the coolest thing was when I was stuck in Boston during 9-11 for six days and I'd put out daily newsletters to stay sane. I went down to the bar to meet the rest of the pilots enjoying the happy hour $2 hamburgers at McCormick & Schmicks and one of the 767 captains freaked out and screamed "Holy crap! You're Doug Taylor! My wife reads your newsletters all the time! Hold on hold on, let me get her on the cellphone, she's never going to believe this..." That was weird, but cool because I guess it really helped keep his wife mellow while we were all stuck for days.

Soon!

Just a little busy these past few days. Working with some new advertising clients, mom's coming to town and trying to buy a car because my AC went out a THIRD time and about a month overdue for a haircut so I'm looking like JJ from "Good Times".

Whew!

[ QUOTE ]
and trying to buy a car

[/ QUOTE ]

So what's in the running? I know that Pontiac will be tough to replace. A Yugo or an El Camino perhaps?

[ QUOTE ]
Soon!

Just a little busy these past few days. ...

.....and about a month overdue for a haircut so I'm looking like JJ from "Good Times".

Whew!

[/ QUOTE ]

DYN-O-MITE!!!

wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
So what's in the running? I know that Pontiac will be tough to replace. A Yugo or an El Camino perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

A "lowered" El Camino with a subwoofer! Yeah!

Nah, Kristie wants one of these: (Volvo XC90)

c441961a.jpg

It's going to be her car and then once we finally get something, I get MY car back!
smile.gif

Her AC goes out so she "inherits" mine, and I inherit her 3 hubcap, full auto-MANUAL, no AC 140 degrees F Toyota Corolla.

Ahh, gainfully employed wives, a pilots best bargain!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SAWEEEET!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, what's my back say?
smile.gif

But on the topic, most of the guys I fly with don't know about the website, but the ones that do are pretty giddy, which is weird.

[ QUOTE ]

Dude, what's my back say?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

SAWEEEET!!!
grin.gif

What's my back say?

The XC90 is an awesome car.

My sister recently got one and now MY wife wants one. I would love it too, but on regional payrates she is going to have to stick to hauling our kids around in the '93 Rodeo. Oh well, the A/C at least tries to keep up with the DFW summer.

I can also vouch for the XC-90 My brother just got one for his wife (he got a 911 out of the deal!) and we took it from the Baltimore area out to Eau Claire, Wisconsin. Its a wonderful machine. Get the T6 engine and you'll have lots of fun, even with a full load. Its very sure footed.

Fun to drive.
grin.gif

Fun to drive long distances.
grin.gif

Whats not to like?
grin.gif

Great family car. (They've got twins coming in Oct.)

Back on topic, thanks for the site Doug. As someone in a career change into your line of work I really appreciate all the labor you put into this site. I'm grateful
cool.gif

Nevermind the SUV... If I can have one of these, I promise not to make right turns.
grin.gif

showcars2002_06.jpg

Erik.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm looking like JJ from "Good Times".

[/ QUOTE ]

hell yeah you are! hope your getting one today otherwise mom might give you a hard time...

"ma baby.. ma baby... whens yous gonna gets yo next haircut?"....
blush.gif

We're thinking about the 2.5T with the (eek!) 5-cylinder turbocharged engine. The T6 is just a bit more horsepower, $8,000 more expensive and drinks gas like a pilot drinks free beer.
smile.gif

Ooh! I think I can get sued for that! D'oh!

Back