here's a weird taf...

Not to get off topic -but as a matter of interest- does anyone know why WX reports still use the coded/abbreviated format they've been using since the Wright brothers were breast feeding? I would think with modern technology, the format would have evolved to be more user friendly. Not that it's all that difficult, but I don't see the benefit for the abbreviated format in today's world.

Anyone know?

:yeahthat: I try my best to stay away from the abbreviated format because I don't think I will be flying in another country anytime soon. If the technology is there, why not use it?

Just curious, is you were in charge of changing the TAFs and METARS to a more user friendly format, what would you change?

English format. no codes. Type out the remarks. Type out the whole word becoming. What is the problem with typing mix rain and ice? Do the TAFs and METARSs have to be abbreviated?

Just curious, is you were in charge of changing the TAFs and METARS to a more user friendly format, what would you change?

Just like Splash is saying, get rid of the abbreviations and all. It would be simple to put together a program (even simply Excel based) which would automatically write out the entire meaning with simple fields filled out. IMHO, by making them more straight forward and user friendly, it could help reduce any confusion/misunderstanding - particularly on the part of the average GA weekend warrior. Not that it's really that big of a deal.

I hadn't considered the international-lack-of-technology aspect until Surreal brought it up.

Personally I'd just as soon see the abbreviations stay. When I get a weather packet as part of the release for a flight it already is long enough. I can only imagine if I had long form weather for my departure airport, the destination airport, an alternate AND all the AIRMETS and SIGMETS for the route of flight.

Yeah, I'm actually to the point where I'd rather read the abbreviated stuff than the full text. Our XM weather shows you a translated METAR/TAF and when I try to read it quickly I just get confused.

I'm not seeing where anyone blamed the forecaster. Why so sensitive?

I also don't see anyone blaming the forecaster, but when we as pilots complain about the forecats we're being critical of the person making it.

If you eat a horrible dish of food, you going to blame the food or the Chef?

Sensitive? Nope, not even close.

Just realize that after many years of dealing with pilots who are always quick to be critical of you as a forecaster you end up being very defensive and make an attempt to educate and inform them on the process.

Ethan,

Glad to hear have spent some time at a WFO.

Sorry if it comes off as me being sensitive though.

Reply sent from a treo, so I'll let that settle for a while.

Back