Hello everyone!

Prospective_Pilot

Well I finally decided to register for this website and I'm glad I did. I'm 16 and have a strong passion to become a airline pilot. My interest in aviation started when I was around the age of 6, but I really didn't start to pursue my interest until 2 years ago. Now I find myself not being able to get enough of aviation. I fly as often as I can, read as much as I can, and try to ask as many questions as possible. I hope to start training for my PPL later this year when financially affordable. After high school I plan on going to either Embry Riddle or Pan Am International Flight Academy. I also hope to get a non-aviation degree in business managerment.

I'm very thankful for this web site as it has been an excellent information source for me. Thank you Doug and everyone else here who help people like myself with our dreams and aspirations.

-Amos

Hey dude, your for sure gettin' a great start, early in age and ambitiuos enough to search out information.This web site will be a valuable source to get an idea of some of what aviation is like. Get involved with pilots if you can from a local flying group if you can, they will be another source of info and a good influence for you.
Read the flying mags also like Flying, Plane and Pilot, AOPA pilot and such. Lots to learn from them. You can get Flight Training mag for free for six months also. Go to the AOPA.org web site and look for a link as to how to order 'cuz I don't remember offhand where to get it.
Keep up your enthusiasm and remember"The only failure is not to try"

Hey Amos, we are in almost exactly the same boat, I am 16, still saving, love aviation, and want the get a backup degree in business management. I want to go to a normal school which may end up being Purdue or Penn State. Anyways, welcome!

Kostco

Hey guys! I just wanted to say don't rule out smaller colleges that have aviation programs as well. Indiana State University is a great school with an awesome Aviation program which allows for you to Minor or even double major in Business as a backup plan. ISU has about 11,000 Undergrad students on campus and has a program up to you Multi-Engine rating including CFII and MEI. ISU has about 200 aviation students, lot of individual attention and good instructors. You might not hear to much about ISU on this message board but I can say it has a good structured program. Fly Safe.

SkyKingRon,
Thanks for your advice. I'll definitely look into signing up to receive mags from one of the magazine company's. I have a friend who use to give me some of his mags after he had read them. Too bad I had to move to another state.

SkyGuyEd,
The sky is up and lots of planes with out me on any of them...wish I was on one flying somewhere right now. That'd be cool!
cool.gif

Kostcoguy,
I'm glad we're on the same path. I'm sure we'll find lots to talk about. Do you plan on getting your PPL before flight college?

ISUcollegePilot,
I haven't quite come to a decision on what college I want to go to. I still have another year or two to decide. Embry riddle and Pan am International Flight Academy seem to be pretty good, but I have heard and read alot of bad things about both of them, which could turn me away from them. They seem a little pricy as well. But I've also heard some really good stuff about them. Who knows where I'll end up going to college....maybe it might be ISU. I just don't know right now. Thanks for the info!

Hey, I'm another 16-year old aspiring pilot. (Well soon to be 16 actually.) As of now I'm going to start flight training within the next couple of years and hopefully get my PPL before college. I'm thinking that I'm going to get a degree in computer science (if it's not too hard) and enroll in AFROTC and some college; then I'll go from there. Anyway, welcome to Jet Careers!
cool.gif

Yeah, I am definitly going to try to get it before college. This summer when I get a job I am not going to spend anything. If I get lucky, by the end of junior year or probably mid-senior year I will start training.

Soccermadman17,
Cool! Nice to meet people around my age with the same interest for once.
wink.gif

Kostcoguy,
I think 16 or 17 is a pretty good age to start, just since the aviation industry is so competitive. I want to gain as many hours as I can before I go to college. I hope to start my training for my PPL this year.

What kind of aircrafts do guys here hope to "make it" on one day? Me, personally, I have a goal to "make it" on a 747 any model of the aircraft ( -100/-200/-300/-400) I'd be cool with flying. Guess there won't be many 747-100/-200/-300's around by the time I am ready to fly the heavy's.
frown.gif
Oh well, I'm sure the -400's are just as cool to fly.
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well I finally decided to register for this website and I'm glad I did. I'm 16 and have a strong passion to become a airline pilot. My interest in aviation started when I was around the age of 6, but I really didn't start to pursue my interest until 2 years ago. Now I find myself not being able to get enough of aviation. I fly as often as I can, read as much as I can, and try to ask as many questions as possible. I hope to start training for my PPL later this year when financially affordable. After high school I plan on going to either Embry Riddle or Pan Am International Flight Academy. I also hope to get a non-aviation degree in business managerment.

I'm very thankful for this web site as it has been an excellent information source for me. Thank you Doug and everyone else here who help people like myself with our dreams and aspirations.

-Amos

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi! Welcome to the website! You want to go to Riddle or Pan Am? Make sure you read all the bulletins boards back as far as they go about the schools! And decide now how much money you'll be able to spend on flight training. Save as much as it takes to get a Bachelor's degree first and foremost. Good luck!

Stick with it and you will make it. Just think in the long term sense, this one or two year business is gone right now.

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of aircrafts do guys here hope to "make it" on one day?

[/ QUOTE ]

The way the industry is, I don't want to be too picky... I'll fly anything that I get the opportunity to.
cool.gif

Prospective_Pilot: You included a link to a virtual airlines site; could you breifly explain what this is. It seems like it's pretty cool!
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of aircrafts do guys here hope to "make it" on one day?

[/ QUOTE ]

One that people pay ME to fly.

Mavmb1,
Thanks for your advice.
cool.gif

Willyfly4food,
Do u know how many people here on these forums are from Utah?

JaceTheAce,
Ok then. I'll try not to.
wink.gif

mrivc211,
You know, right now is probably a good time for the economy to be down (well for me anyway). By the time I'm ready to enter the aviation industry and start my career the economy should be in good shape again, which means all the best for me. Thanks for the ecouragment.

SkyGuyEd,
Fair enough.
cool.gif

soccermadman17, Kostcoguy,
British Airways Virtual (BAV) is one of the best virtual airlines around and it is based on the real British Airways. All you need is a computer (duh!), Microsoft flight simualtor 2000 or 2002, a VATSIM ID which you can get from www.vatsim.com , and an email address which ISN'T with hotmail or yahoo. I had to get another email address and if you guys need one go to www.aviationemail.com (u get 6mb of space for free). After applying at BAV it will take 1 - 2 weeks before they accept your application.
Once they have accepted you need to download a few things from under Scheduling on the website. And you also need to read the operations manuals. After all that you should be ready to fly. They require you to fly once within the first 14 days and then at least once a month after that.
Two ways you can fly after becoming a BAV pilot are: 1) To choose a flight from the offline schedule system and fly that. 2) Sign up for the assigned flights system and have them assign flights for you to fly each week (which is what I do).
If you guys do decide to join there are just a two things I should point out. First, every flight is suppose to be flown using a flight monitor that you also need to download from the website. Second thing is you do not get paid!
frown.gif
However, you do get rewarded with the enjoyment that comes from flying for a virtual airline. It's pretty fun.

If anyone has questions or needs help with something just let me know.

-Amos

BAV looks awesome! Maybe I'll sign up for it during the summer when I have more time on my hands. It seems like it's pretty demanding...

soccermadman17,
It may take quite some time to register, work things out, and get all set up with BAV, but after that it's not too bad. The shortest flight is 25 mins and that's the only flight you would need to fly for a whole month to keep your status as an active pilot, if time is an issue. Since BAV is one of the best virtual airlines it has very strict standards. Of course that's what u can expect but. Be sure to check out other virtual airlines. Go to www.google.com and do a search for virtual airlines. You'll find many...here are a couple: Virtual Delta airlines , Northwest airlines, KLM, Alaska airlines, there are a few virtual American airlines around..ummmm..virtual Qantas airways..lots more..I'd probably be here all night listing them.
cool.gif

-Amos

Yep Yep.. VAs.

The Flightsim/VA Community is where I got a lot of my growth as an aviation enthusiast and desire to be a pilot, it's an interesting crowd.

Back