Hello Darkness My Old Friend...

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
I've Come to Talk to you Again....

Cincinnati traffic drops 50% as businesses seek lower fares: With business travelers following the lead of leisure travelers in seeking out cheaper flights, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport is bleeding customers to lower-cost competitors like Dayton, Ohio, and Louisville, Ky. A survey by the Cincinnati Enquirer found that three-fourths of local companies are using competing airports more than ever. "Unless you're suffering from delusion, you realize that the Cincinnati airport is now really in Dayton," says one aviation expert. At its peak in 2005, more than 22 million passengers passed through CVG airport. "We'll be lucky if we hit 10 million this year," says Lawson Walker II, chairman of the Kenton County Airport Board.

I'm not sure if I were a CVG-based pilot, I'd be looking at property under the auspices of never having to commute.

A similar but smaller effect happened in Pittsburgh in the early 2000s when the low fare boom was just getting under way but USAir controlled 90% of flights out of PIT. People just drove to Cleveland or Baltimore.

About a month back we had one lady who joined us in CVG.

Her final destination was ATL, but the flight she joined us on was not going to Atlanta first, rather it was going only a few miles south to Lexington first, then continuing on to Atlanta.

We came to find out that she took the added 30 minutes in Lexington to save roughly $40.

Take that for what you want...

I'll be going through CVG on the 17th.

It will bring back memories for sure.

Probably also saddened by the state of affairs there.

FYI CVG-DAY has the highest no-show factor in the entire (old) Delta system. People would get dropped off in DAY for their flights and get picked up in CVG "skipping' their CVG-DAY fight.

I'd rather fly into an outstation that I know is going to be void of any traffic than fly into CVG where the emotional fact that the place is dieing a slow death is ridiculous.

I'd rather fly into an outstation that I know is going to be void of any traffic than fly into CVG where the emotional fact that the place is dieing a slow death is ridiculous.

I feel the same way about PIT. Except it's dead already.

I feel the same way about PIT. Except it's dead already.
Yeah, I know what you mean. What really sucks is having grown up in a community where most people had a job affected by or worked directly with USAir. Those were some good paying, (at the time) stable jobs.

FYI CVG-DAY has the highest no-show factor in the entire (old) Delta system. People would get dropped off in DAY for their flights and get picked up in CVG "skipping' their CVG-DAY fight.

Which is why, while CVG still actually has connections to places, I love having those 5 flights a day between the two so I can go places with out going through ORD or driving down to CVG and paying for parking.

I've Come to Talk to you Again....

I'm not sure if I were a CVG-based pilot, I'd be looking at property under the auspices of never having to commute.
Boy, you really want me to go hang myself from the tree out back; don't you!:rolleyes:

I'll be going through CVG on the 17th.

It will bring back memories for sure.

Probably also saddened by the state of affairs there.

Are you flying through or stopping? Send me a PM with your sched, I might be able to drop by.

Just a quick stop between OKC and PHL in the morning. To add insult to injury I'm flying on 2 RJ's and neither are Comair.

Just a quick stop between OKC and PHL in the morning. To add insult to injury I'm flying on 2 RJ's and neither are Comair.

What day are you flying through MEM? I may or may not be around. I've got RR a couple of times this month, and I'll need SOMETHING to end the boredom.

I just flew through Atlanta yesterday on my way to Dayton to avoid having to pay almost $100 more to go through CVG and save about 2 hours.

CVG died years ago, nobody told it yet. Just go there after 7pm. 99% of the people you see in the airport are wearing badges.

This facility doesn't help CVG's case much either

At 200 miles away, especially . . .

262289239_d763fbdb54.jpg

070628_dtw_waterfeature_02.jpg

0794705.jpg

CVG died years ago, nobody told it yet. Just go there after 7pm. 99% of the people you see in the airport are wearing badges.
It gets so quiet at night you can hear the birds chirping. Really the only noise on the field is coming from the Comair mx hangars

It gets so quiet at night you can hear the birds chirping. Really the only noise on the field is coming from the Comair mx hangars

...wow, that sucks. There used to be a small lunch push from 12-2pm. Then a very large push from 5-7pm and then a medium push from say 8-9:30-10pm!

Then it was dead except for DHL's push all night!

I used to love the 5-7pm push the best. All the heavies taking off. This was back in 98-01 so the Tri-Stars were still around, as were the MD-11's. The occasionally odd 777, or 764, all going to ATL!

CVG used to so be the ####!

Back