Helicopter total time Question?

vsnick

Is rotary total time the same as fixed wing total time? Meaning if you were applying for a regional airline job and had 800tt rotary and 800tt fixed wing, is that 1600tt in all to be considered for the position? Thanks alot.

Really depends on the company you're applying for. Some airlines don't count helicoptor time, and others will count every bit of it. Still others will use a portion of it, up to a certain amount (I believe Skywest has some weird system like that...).

Time is Time. In your equation you would be legit in representing your experience as 1600hrs.

Now it is a seperate issue on how a potential employer looks at the break down on your experience. They may require a certain amount of fixed wing experience for a fixed wing job, this could be company driven or more likely an insurance issue. The opposite is true if you were looking for a helicopter job, they would be interested in total experience but for a helicopter job they would need to satisfy a certain experience level.

My experience is +/- 6000 hrs., with 1000 hrs. Helicopter time. I might find it hard to get a helicopter job that advertises for a pilot with 2000 hrs. experience required. They would in that case be specifically looking for a pilot with 2000 hrs. helicopter time.

I know a guy that had 3000 hrs. experience with about 200 hrs. in fixed wing and only about 30 or that in multi engine but he still got hired by a regional. The reason here I believe is the majority of his Helicopter time was Military and the balance was flying single pilot IFR for a hospital program.

Hope that explains it a little better for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Is rotary total time the same as fixed wing total time? Meaning if you were applying for a regional airline job and had 800tt rotary and 800tt fixed wing, is that 1600tt in all to be considered for the position? Thanks alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

My dad's got 5000heli/3000fixed and he said that they coun't it together. If they were requreing turbine time and you had 5,000 turbine heli but no fixed wing I don't know what they would say to you. Hey 650CPT what were the reqirements on that 222, were you a captain on it

Very helpful answers, thanks again. The reason I was curious is because I have recently heard about the WOFT program through the army, where it seems you would most likely be flying helicopters. Seems like a pretty good deal but I am most likely going to do my training as a civilian. Who knows though I might go talk to a recruiter in the next couple of days. I do have more questions about training in the different branches of the military but I think it would be more appropriate to start a thread over there.

Any idea on where to find out more about this program. I don't think there is anything on their website about it. I sounds very interesting.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey 650CPT what were the reqirements on that 222, were you a captain on it

[/ QUOTE ]

I was captain, single pilot IFR certified for the BH-222UT. I attended FSI every 6 Mos. and held a FSI pro card. We mostly flew with 2 pilots on board ( company policy ), we used alot of Guard helicopter pilots as our part timers because the insurance company bought off on thier training even if they were "low" timers.

vsnick
Talk to me before you make any decisions about the WOFT program. I am a CW3 in the National Guard and have flown both rotary and fixed wing for the Guard.

Back