Heart or vascular trouble - Medical History

My Flight Surgeon

Sr. Aviation Medical Examiner
This is the seventh of a series of threads regarding the history portion of the FAA Form 8500-8 that you complete every time you get a flight physical. For the vast majority of you, this will be just informational and you will not be affected. Heart disease is one of the commonest reasons we encounter requiring Special Issuance action for the pilot. As with many of the conditions discussed here and elsewhere in these threads, there is a requirement for the pilot to provide medical records and physician documentation regarding the medical condition being reported. I would suggest that if you are unsure of how to answer these questions in Item 18, you discuss them with your AME before you complete the form. Some things may not be significant while others will require explanation.

18g. Heart or vascular trouble
The applicant should describe the condition to include, dates, symptoms, and treatment, and provide medical reports to assist in the certification decision-making process. These reports should include: operative reports of coronary intervention to include the original cardiac catheterization report, stress tests, worksheets, and original tracings (or a legible copy). When stress tests are provided, forward the reports, worksheets and original tracings (or a legible copy) to the FAA. Part 67 provides that, for all classes of medical certificates, an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of myocardial infarction, angina pectoris, cardiac valve replacement, permanent cardiac pacemaker implantation, heart replacement, or coronary heart disease that has required treatment or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant, is cause for denial. The following lists the most common conditions of aeromedical significance:

Arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythm). There are more than a dozen types of arrhythmias. The FAA wants the pilot to have a full cardiac evaluation appropriate for the arrhythmia. The minimal evaluation includes:
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]An assessment of personal and family medical history
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Clinical cardiac and general physical examination
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]An assessment and statement regarding the applicant’s medications, functional capacity, modifiable cardiovascular risk factors
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Motivation for any necessary change
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Prognosis for incapacitation
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Blood chemistries (fasting blood sugar, current blood lipid profile to include total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides) performed within the last 90 days
In addition it may include echocardiograms to look at the structural anatomy of the heart, electrical monitoring studies, nuclear imaging studies or angiographic studies. Usually these studies provide sufficient information to allow the pilot to fly either with or without a Special Issuance medical certificate.

Atrial fibrillation. Unless the atrial fibrillation was more than 5 years ago, has not returned and there was a full evaluation for the cause, it will require a decision from the FAA. The evaluation includes:
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hospital admission summary (history and physical), coronary catheterization report, and operative report regarding all cardiac events and procedures.
2.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]A current cardiovascular evaluation must include an assessment of personal and family medical history; a clinical cardiac and general physical examination; an assessment and statement regarding the applicant's medications, functional capacity, modifiable cardiovascular risk factors, motivation for any necessary change, prognosis for incapacitation; and blood chemistries (fasting blood sugar and current blood lipid profile to include total cholesterol, HDL, LDL, and triglycerides).
3.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]A current maximal GXT
4.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Echocardiogram
5.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Holter monitor (24-hour recording heart monitor)
If a Special Issuance certificate was granted, the AME may issue subsequent certificates if the applicant provides the following:
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
An Authorization granted by the FAA;
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
A summary of the applicant’s medical condition since the last FAA medical examination, including a statement regarding any further episodes of atrial fibrillation;
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
The name and dosage of medication(s) used for treatment and/or prevention with comment regarding side effects;
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
A report of a current 24-hour Holter Monitor performed within last 90 days; and
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
A minimum of monthly International Normalized Ratio (INR) results for the immediate prior 6 months.

Coronary Heart Disease: For pilots with Angina Pectoris; Atherectomy; Brachytherapy; Coronary Bypass Grafting; Myocardial Infarction; Percutaneous Transluminal Angioplasty (PTCA); Rotoblation; and Stent Insertion, the evaluation requires the items listed in atrial fibrillation above plus a maximal thallium (nuclear) stress test and a “post-event “ heart catheterization. Without the catheterization, the likelihood of receiving a Class 1 or unlimited 2 medical certificate is slim to none. Limited second-class medical certificate refers to a second-class certificate with a functional limitation such as, Not Valid for Carrying Passengers for Compensation or Hire, Not Valid for Pilot in Command, Valid Only When Serving as a Pilot Member of a Fully Qualified Two-Pilot Crew, Limited to Flight Engineer Duties Only, etc.

Hypertension requiring medication: This requires an initial hypertension evaluation before the AME can issue a certificate. If the data from the evaluation is acceptable, the AME may issue the medical certificate. The evaluation includes: pertinent personal and family medical history, including an assessment of the risk factors for coronary heart disease, a clinical examination including at least three blood pressure readings separated by at least 24-hours each, a resting ECG, and a report of fasting plasma glucose, cholesterol (LDL/HDL), triglycerides, potassium, and creatinine levels. A maximal electrocardiographic exercise stress test will be accomplished if it is indicated by history or clinical findings. Specific mention must be made of the medications used, their dosage, and the presence, absence, or history of adverse effects. The initiation of medication or change in dosage is not disqualifying. However, the applicant must not exercise the privileges of the medical certificate for at least 2 weeks. Upon reevaluation, if the blood pressure is controlled without side effects the applicant may resume flying duties. In rare cases where the initial hypertension was severe, additional time may be necessary for normalization of renal and cerebral vascular circulation.
At subsequent flight physicals the AME may conduct a followup evaluation to include a current status report describing at least the medications used and their dosages, the adequacy of blood pressure control, the presence or absence of side effects, the presence or absence of end-organ complications and the results of any appropriate tests or studies. A potassium level is required if the airman is taking a diuretic.
1.[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Medication used to treat hypertension include all Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved diuretics, alpha-adrenergic blocking agents, beta-adrenergic blocking agents, calcium channel blocking agents, angiotension converting enzyme (ACE inhibitors) agents, and direct vasodilators. The following Centrally acting agents (such as, reserpine, guanethidine, guanadrel, guanabenz, and methyldopa) are not usually acceptable to the FAA. These drugs are rarely used in the United States any more. Dosage levels of the medication used should be the minimum necessary to obtain optimal clinical control and should not be modified to influence the certification decision.

Valvular heart disease: All valvular heart disease requires an initial decision by the FAA before a medical certificate can be issued. Follow-up issuance for mitral or aortic insufficiency requires the AME to review:
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
An Authorization granted by the FAA;
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
A summary of the applicant’s medical condition since the last FAA medical examination, including a statement regarding any further episodes of atrial fibrillation; and
PicExportError
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
A current 2-D echocardiogram with Doppler performed within last 90 days.
Which are submitted by the pilot to the AME. If the results of this evaluation is acceptable, the AME may issue the medical certificate.

There are other serious heart conditions where the AME is required to defer the decision to OKC.
The following conditions must be deferred:
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Heart Transplant – at the present time, due to the unpredictability of segmental coronary artery disease, certification is not being granted
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Cardiac decompensation
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Congenital heart disease accompanied by cardiac enlargement, ECG abnormality, or evidence of inadequate oxygenation
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Hypertrophy or dilatation of the heart as evidenced by clinical examination and supported by diagnostic studies
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Pericarditis, endocarditis, or myocarditis
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]When cardiac enlargement or other evidence of cardiovascular abnormality is found, the decision is deferred to the FAA. If the applicant wishes further consideration, a consultation will be required "preferably" from the applicant’s treating physician. It must include a narrative report of evaluation and be accompanied by an ECG with report and appropriate laboratory test results which may include, as appropriate, 24-hour Holter monitoring, thyroid function studies, ECHO, and an assessment of coronary artery status.
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Anti-tachycardia devices or implantable defibrillators
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]With the possible exceptions of aspirin and dipyridamole taken for their effect on blood platelets, the use of anticoagulants or other drugs for treatment or prophylaxis of fibrillation may preclude medical certification
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]A history of cardioversion or drug treatment, per se, does not rule out certification. A current, complete cardiovascular evaluation will be required. A 3-month observation period must elapse after the procedure before consideration for certification
·[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]A history of low blood pressure requires elaboration.
For all classes, certification decisions will be based on the applicant's medical history and current clinical findings. Certification is unlikely unless the information is highly favorable to the applicant. Evidence of extensive multi-vessel disease, impaired cardiac functioning, precarious coronary circulation, etc., will preclude certification. Before an applicant undergoes coronary angiography, it is recommended that all records and the report of a current cardiovascular evaluation, including a maximal electrocardiographic exercise stress test, be submitted to the FAA for preliminary review. Based upon this information, it may be possible to advise an applicant of the likelihood of favorable consideration.
*Italicized text from FAA documents

I hope this stuff doesn't bum you out. It is important you know what to do if faced with any of the problems we are discussing in this series of posts. Remember, Knowledge is your best weapon.:)

This isn't necessarily related to the heart, but I am curious as to what problems I will have, if any, at my next medical exam. I have had two surgeries to ligate the greater saphenous in each leg along with other smaller veins throughout the leg, and although I have already received a Class II after reporting the surgery on the first leg (the second one hadn't happened yet), is the FAA concerned about this at all?

The second part of my question is more off aviation topic. Is the greater saphenous vein the one that is used in bypasses? I know I'm stretching here for particulars, but how long does it need to be? I think mine were ligated at the knee, but I'm not real sure to be honest.

Thanks for any help.

They probably ligated the greater saphenous vein because of varicose veins. I doubt this will be a problem on the medical.

The greater saphenous vein is the one used for bypass surgery and they harvest the vein below the knee. Other options include using the internal mammary artery from inside the sternum (breast bone) as a source of blood instead of using a vein. Of course, many patients get by with angioplasty and stent placement and neve need bypass surgery.

I had a full physical from my doc this month since I been feeling quite tired lately and had what feels to be tension in my chest. He ran blood tests and an EKG and said everything checks out fine. I told him I still have this tense feeling on the upper right side of my chest and it's still constant and sometimes it'll spread across my chest or even up the right side of my neck or toward my right arm.

So after a few weeks and no change on my part, he now decided along with me, that I should go do a full stress test. If that comes back fine, I'll then have some peace of mind that maybe I'm simply just stressed and maybe that's why for the first time ever my blood pressure was high.

Do I need to report this test to the FAA or on my next medical if the findings come back that I am perfectly fine? If so, what documentation do I need?

If the tests come back with an issue and they have to go in with a cath, what do I report then? I'm sure if that's the case, I need to report something for sure. Also, what do I need to bring to the Class I physical to make that process go smoothly?

Thanks!

If the tests are normal, I would not say anything. If you choose to report the tests, take the results to the AME so he/she can make appropriate comments on the Form 8500-8 in response to your reporting a visit to your doc.

If oyu BP has been up, get it down. That can be a cause of the symptoms too.

If you end up with a cath, it will depend on the results. If normal, take the reoport of the cath to the AME for him to make comments on. Most AME's will be comfortable with this but I could forsee an AME wanting to defer to OKC. If the results are abnormal and you have something done, PM me and I will give you specifics on what you will need to do.

Best of luck to you.:)

Thank you.

PS - I have the Stress Test set up for Thursday so I'll get back to you once I know the results.

Does drinking a glass of red wine a night help your heart? If so what type Merlot, Cabernet, Pinot Noir, any one work best?

Just back from the Cardio Clinic. They set up my stress test and echo test for next Wednesday. Then a follow-up with the doc on the 15th of December to go over the results and discuss some lifestyle changes in more detail, or any immediate issues if something is abnormal.

Pretty much, me being 33, the doc had little concern that the tension and discomfort on the upper right side of my chest is actually a major issue. Especialy since it's is tense and sore for most of my waking hours, but I never wake at night with an issue or have mnay other symptoms. THe shortness of breadth threw him though since he said that does seem to be an issue if I struggle walking up 4 flights at steps at the office or if I walk for a good distance I feel out of breadth. But, even with a bad family history where my dad had his first of three heart attacks at 46 years old, the doc seemed more concerned about the stress in my life between having too high expectations for myself along with working in a job since 1999 that has a huge burn-out rate and tremendous stress for many due to the income level, long hours, and high probability of loosing the job for a couple months of less than stellar performance. On top of that I had some major loses in my life this year that I am still a little bitter about and I'm very focused on the whole flying career change and getting all the "ducks in a row" that it's also causing a tremendous amount of stress and anxiety (maybe it's the whole pay cut from over $100,000 a year to maybe never seeing that level of income again but being convinced I need to accomplish a life deam to "feel complete"). So he said if the tests come back fine, his next idea will be axiety and/or stress which will need to be dealt with on a mental level as that could actually cause physical issues when it becomes too much. I'll report back in a few weeks once all the results are in on this physical and mental state of my being.

Oh, here are some concerns. I'm 33 and had these results:

Blood Pressure today = 120/60 (he said that's okay)

Cholesterol = 212 (he said borderline, eat less mexican food)

LDL = 121 (again, borderline, eat more skinless chicken and fish)

HDL = 36 (again, borderline, drink less and walk 30 minutes a day)

Triglycerides = 274 (woah, big problem. Cut out carbs and do the above and if does not work itself out meds might be needed for at least a few months... it' so high that if I am having axiety or excessive stress, this too can be why these are way too high)

Any comments on those blood test results to really help me adjust? If drugs are needed for awhile, any advise on which ones and how that would affect a 1st class medical (I never had a 1st class medical, only 3rd which is presently expired as of now, but plan to get a 1st class in March).

Thanks!

Well the mildly elevated lipids with your family history :( would make me want to get you on a good diet and recheck the lipids in 3 months. If they are not down, I would look at a statin type drug like Lipitor or Vytorin.

Just as a comment, one glass of red wine :) may help the HDL go up too.

My personal feeling is that the HDL needs to be in at least the mid-40's, the LDL needs to be less than 100 and preferably closer to 70 and the total cholesterol should be less than 200 and I prefer into the 150's. Statins can do all of this.

The triglycerides are of concern. If diet does not work, then the statins will help lower them too. One thing I worry about with high triglycerides is a family history of diabetes.

Many physicians are not overly aggressive with lipid management. In caring for pilots, I have taken the approach that anything I can do that may decrease their risk of having a disqualifying event is the route to take. I am very aggressive about lipid management for this reason.

Drugs for lipids will not affect a Class 1 medical.:)

Let me know how it goes.

Texasflyer, your situation reminds me of where I once was. I took a management job where the guy who had the job before me killed himself. After work one day he drove home, parked his pick up and shot himself. Perhaps that should have been a clue to me as to how stressful the job would be.
When I fired one employee, he told me he was going to come back and kill me. I saw another fired employee when I opened up the local paper under the "most wanted" section. But the most unrelenting pressure was from management to "make the numbers". Sales up, labor costs down, I was already making quota but they wanted more.
It wasn't long before my chest started hurting. I, like you, went to my doctor and I had a complete physical with a stress EKG. The doctor found nothing wrong other than a resting pulse of about 80-100. He suggested it might be stress. It wasn't long after I left that job that the chest pains went away and my pulse came down.
While I don't know what is causing your chest pain, when you mentioned stress and chest pain I could relate to that.

As far as your blood work goes, thats a very high triglyceride number, did you fast(and for how long) before you had your blood drawn?

While none of the lipid levels look bad by themselves, one of the things to look at is the ratio of total cholesterol to HDL Yours is 5.9 most Dr.s recommend 5.0 or lower with 3.5 or lower being optimum.

Good Luck on reducing the stress.

As far as your blood work goes, thats a very high triglyceride number, did you fast(and for how long) before you had your blood drawn?

I ate 4 hours prior to the blood work, so that could inflate the triglyceride number. Either way, I'll work on reducung all the numbers and do a follow-up to see how it ends up. And fast for a good 12 hours before the next test so the results will be more accurate.

So I get a call today from the cardio doc and he says that my appointment is canceled for Wednesday. He said Aetna denied coverage of the stress test!

So they can only do an echo which really is not going to prove much when it comes to my shortness of breadth and chest pain. How can my insurance dictate what medical care I get? The cardio doc advises a stress test, yet it is denied and simply I am told to forget about this and go on for now?

I guess more to come on this subject as I now get to waste most of my day Wednesday calling Aetna and the doc to figure out how they can effectively determine why I have shortness of breadth and pretty consistent chest pains and tension on my upper and mid right chest area.

I'm a bit confused on the state of healthcare in this country since it seems insurance would rather treat you once you keel over with a life threatening issue versus looking into preventing such a problem. So if I keel over in two months from continued chest pain and shortness of breadth and they say it was a heart attack, do I get to then go after Aetna and live a very wealthy early retirement on their dollar? This may be a whole different topic though.

:confused:

The cardiologist can write a letter to Aetna stating why he thinks you need the test. They will probably authorize it then.

Healthcare is a misnomer. The insurance companies are only interested ijn their financial health. Some girl at Aetna is probably told to deny 20% of requests for prior authorization just routinely. I know some insurance companies do this on claims. If you don't challenge it, then they just got out of paying $$ for a test.

It is important to understand that the insurance company only cares about you as a premium paying individual. When it come time for you to receive services they will do all they can to limit the cost to them 0 more for the bottom line. The ONLY healthcare insurance system in the country that truely call it right is the medicaide system in Arizona - AHCCCS or Arizona Health Cost Containment System.

Get the doc to write a letter and you do the same, they will probably authorize it.

Back