Hearing Loss/1st Class Medical Protocol

sdfcvoh

This is my Custom Title
I'm posting this question in search of more information from an earlier thread located here. (relevant quotes below)

Yes... I am living walking proof you can be completely deaf in one ear and still get a 1st class med. I was born with senso-neural hearing loss in the left ear. That means the auditory nerve itself in the left ear has a problem, didn't develop, etc. So, I have no hearing from that ear. However, my right ear has perfect hearing.
FAA 1st class standards at the minimum say something about being able to hear an average conversational voice at a distance of 6 feet away from a doc. Of course, I can hear that easily!

Also . . .

The way the FAA wants the test done is to have the pilot turn away from the AME, the AME speak in a normal tone of voice and if the pilot can hear he passes.

After you've read all of that - here is the reason for my post requesting more information:
I have left ear hearing loss from birth which is significant (60db) between 2000-5000Hz. My right ear is nearly perfect, and I can hear without any problems when it comes to normal conversation. After looking at the post referenced above, and being scheduled for my 1st Class Medical Monday, I'm wondering how I might best approach this subject with the Dr. if he wants to only test using a tone machine. Looking at the FAA guidelines, it mentions that you need only pass one of the following: (I would fail #3 "Poorer Ear".)

§ 67.105 Ear, nose, throat, and equilibrium. Ear, nose, throat, and equilibrium standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:
(a) The person shall demonstrate acceptable hearing by at least one of the following tests:
(1) Demonstrate an ability to hear an average conversational voice in a quiet room, using both ears, at a distance of 6 feet from the examiner, with the back turned to the examiner.
(2) Demonstrate an acceptable understanding of speech as determined by audiometric speech discrimination testing to a score of at least 70 percent obtained in one ear or in a sound field environment.
(3) Provide acceptable results of pure tone audiometric testing of unaided hearing acuity according to the following table of worst acceptable thresholds, using the calibration standards of the American National Standards Institute, 1969 (11 West 42d Street, New York, NY 10036):
Frequency (Hz)500 Hz1000 Hz2000 Hz3000 HzBetter ear (Db)35303040Poorer ear (Db)35505060
The last thing I want to do (or would ever do) is to direct the Physician on how to correctly run the exam. But... How can I politely mention the regulation directive (a) above, if by chance he was to mention that I'm going to receive a "Fail" because I failed under part #3 "Poorer Ear"?

Wow - if you've made it all the way through my rambling, thank you! I may just be sweating this too much. But I do not want to chance a bad mark on my record if I don't have to, and I've stayed awake the last two nights concerned about this. Thanks for reading!
-Scott

The last thing I want to do (or would ever do) is to direct the Physician on how to correctly run the exam. But... How can I politely mention the regulation directive (a) above, if by chance he was to mention that I'm going to receive a "Fail" because I failed under part #3 "Poorer Ear"?

Wow - if you've made it all the way through my rambling, thank you! I may just be sweating this too much. But I do not want to chance a bad mark on my record if I don't have to, and I've stayed awake the last two nights concerned about this. Thanks for reading!

That's understandable, and a good question.

I've had two AMEs (my first guy left the area, so I got a new AME), and both times when I met them for the very first time, I bought along a printed copy of those FAR 67 regs, specifically, the hearing portion like you just posted.

Why?

For the same reason you mentioned: just *in case* the doc said "you fail the audiogram, I must defer you!"

If he had said that, I would have questioned (in a nice manner) about the 6 foot away average conversational voice rule.

But, both times with these two separate AMEs, after I was done with the audiogram, the doc asked me about my left ear, and I told him about my congenital loss in the left ear.

And in both AME cases, I was told to stand in the corner six feet away, with my back turned, and they said something in an average conversational voice.

I passed that, and that was it!

No waiver, no special issuance, no SODA, nada!

Yours should be the same. I expect your doc will have you stand 6 ft away and do that avg. convo voice thing.

If he doesn't, then I guess it might not be a bad idea to show him that specific regulation, and merely question him about it (in a NICE manner).

But docs know their regs, and you should have no problem.

Read the directiosn in the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. It specifies the sequence of examinations. The spoken voice (easiest to pass) test is the first one the AME should perform. He should do the next one only if you fail the first one (unless he is charging extra for the audiometry and trying to make more money:laff::sarcasm:).

Read the directiosn in the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners. It specifies the sequence of examinations. The spoken voice (easiest to pass) test is the first one the AME should perform. He should do the next one only if you fail the first one (unless he is charging extra for the audiometry and trying to make more money:laff::sarcasm:).

Thanks for the responses! Would you consider it abnormal to have an audiometry test as long as the first part (spoken word) is passed? Also, could any of you recommend an examiner within the Columbus, OH area? I have checked the FAA site - just thought someone might have a personal recommendation.
-Scott

my examiner was about 80 years old and was hard of hearing himself, needless to say i didn't even have the hearing portion tested for my class 1

If people can hear well enough to respond to my greeting in the waiting room, I don't do the audiometry test although ai have one in the office.

Here I thought you just wanted to walk out and show me where the coffee was! :)

BTW, I'll be seeing you sometime this month as I have to keep a current 1st class because of the type rating. I'm not sure when though because I don't have a schedule.

I'm not even a pilot now, I'm a 'trainee'! :)

What a great place this site is! Thanks for all of your responses. I'll let everyone know how it goes after Monday morning. As far as right now, I slept last night.:)
-Scott

. . . . and I passed! The hearing bit didn't even come up:yup:. Although my blood pressure was up a bit - imagine that (cute nurse)!

I appreciate all of the support!

On the hearing "note" (thank you I'm here all week, try the veal). What is it that causes this constant ringing in my ears? I have had it for as long as I can remember, but my hearing is just fine (ie, can hear a mouse fart two counties away).

It is called tinitus and is due to a very high frequency hearing loss (around 6000 Hz). Mice fart at lower frequencies:)

Back