BP meds and 1st class

hammerhat

I've always had elevated BP, somewhere in mid 130s to mid 80s, and on the last visit to my doc it read 142/82 and now she's suggesting I start taking beta blockers, specifically Metoprolol Succinate 25mg. She also says it's ok to hold off on the meds as this BP levels are borderline acceptable, and there's probably 5-10 points to attribute to the white coat syndrome but still she expects with age it will require managing with meds sooner or later.

Here's my questions,

1. I currently hold 1st class. If I start beta blockers, do I ground myself and report it to the AME or wait until it expires and then report on the next application?

2. If I start Metoprolol what am I looking at for my next AME visit? Is it going to be a special issuance going forward? Sending paperwork to OKC? Or just regular AME issued medical, since my current BP is still well within FAA thresholds.

3. I looked up Metoprolol and it say FAA generally OKs it but side effects may include dizziness and there's a concern about operating vehicles, machinery etc. How would one fly given that?

PS: this is all completely unexplained essential hypertension, but otherwise excellent health, regular exercise, healthy weight and BMI, good health habits, balanced diet etc.

Hi Hammerhat,

Beta blockers are an approved medication by the FAA. You may start taking them and as long as you are not experiencing adverse effects you may exercise the privileges of your certificate. When you apply for your next medical you will be expected to meet the criteria of the CACI (Conditions AME Can Issue), and will not be placed on Special Issuance if conditions are met.

Note that you must not be experiencing side effects to meet CACI criteria and that you are expected to prove at least 1 week of stable BP to your AME when you appear. This can be satisfied by bringing in some sort of recent BP measurement done with your primary provider.

Best Regards,

Aaron Florkowski, MD
FAA designated Aviation Medical Examiner
www.kansascityame.com

Back