Hear Ye Hear Ye! Introducing for the first time....

You don't use fuel flow or N1? That's all I've been using for years now, Torque with the turbo props.

The only time I pay attention to EPR or n1 is when setting takeoff thrust and making sure I don't unspool too much due to gusts while on approach. Otherwise I just move the thrust levers to get the airspeed I want.

The only time I pay attention to EPR or n1 is when setting takeoff thrust and making sure I don't unspool too much due to gusts while on approach. Otherwise I just move the thrust levers to get the airspeed I want.
Jeesh, on jets from 50k up to know 150k I know what speed I'm shooting for and set a memorized N1, and adjust as needed. Most times I just set it and forget it. Go land in Den or SLC and it tskes a little more but 90% of my flying is just set a N1 or fuel flow and adjust a smidge here and there.

Jeesh, on jets from 50k up to know 150k I know what speed I'm shooting for and set a memorized N1, and adjust as needed. Most times I just set it and forget it. Go land in Den or SLC and it tskes a little more but 90% of my flying is just set a N1 or fuel flow and adjust a smidge here and there.

Turbojet/fan, fuel flows or ITT works. With Turboprop, torque works well. With turboshaft engines, what you use will be dependant on what your limiting factor is based on temp/DA/PA, at the particular time. Could be Ng, could be TGT, could be torque, depending.

Seems like a like a lot of stuff to memorize.

Seems like a like a lot of stuff to memorize.
.... really? To me it seems like a lot of work to hunt and peck. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just made things easy for me. Not like anything else is rattling around up there, one ff number and 2 or 3 N1 settings.

Back