He Got Chewed Out

TurdBird

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine who told me this story and it got me wondering. He doesn’t know if it is true or not so I figured I would pass it along.
<O:p</O:p

I don't know the guy he is talking about. He is a friend of my friend. This friend of my friend works as a ferry pilot and does pretty well for himself. Most of his trips are day trips and he is usually home by the end of the night. The company that he works for requires him to deliver planes while in a full uniform. Once he delivers the plane to its final location he is brought back on a commercial airline. Since it is usually a day trip for him he does not bring a change of clothes with him.

<O:pJust a few days ago he delivered a plane and was flying home on a commercial flight just like he did many times. When the plane landed he was walking out and as he passed by the cockpit the captain asked that he waited for him in the jetway. So, the friend of my friend waited as the captain walked off with the last passenger.<O:p</O:p

He said at that point the captain started chewing his butt out hardcore saying he has some major balls to fly on his airplane without first checking in with him and asking. He said he went on to say how this younger generation of pilots think they are entitled to everything without asking and so on and so on. The friend of my friend said he stood there the whole time and didn't say a word and let the captain continue yelling at him. Then the captain asked who he worked for and why he didn't have his badge. That's when the friend of my friend explained to the captain that he didn't work for any airline and didn't appreciate the way he was treated as a paying customer. He said the captain didn't know what to say at that point but did go on to say it is ridiculous that they have you flying with a full uniform on. The friend of my friend agreed with him on that but explained how it is something out of his control and how he is just trying to get home.<O:p</O:p

Like I said, this is one of those friend of a friend type things. I don't know how well my friend knows him but it was interesting to hear about. I asked my friend if he thought it was true and he was not sure. He said his friend is usually pretty honest but at times has gone on about something that never happened.<O:p</O:p

What do you all think?

That's interesting indeed. Further, I 'm believing no apology was forthcoming.

. . .and to assume wearing a "uniform" requires you to "request permission" to fly sounds absurd, but I'm believing this captain really jumped to a wrong conclusion. . .and as a "person". . .should have apologized.

Wierd. I've heard of corporate outfits moving their crews around via commercial. I would imagine they are required to be in uniform when traveling on the company AMEX. You would have thought the Captain would have looked to see if there was a jumpseat pilot on the manifest.

Its like NetJets pilots. They have an airline type uniform. I wonder if he would have said anything to them. NJ guys are paying customers and are not required to check in or anythig. This CA should have started by questioning him first, before startig to yell at him. Probably an old school Captain. But again, it just takes too much effort to be an •. And yes, I think it is ridiculous having to wear a uniform as a ferry pilot.

Its like NetJets pilots. They have an airline type uniform. I wonder if he would have said anything to them. NJ guys are paying customers and are not required to check in or anythig. This CA should have started by questioning him first, before startig to yell at him. Probably an old school Captain. But again, it just takes too much effort to be an •. And yes, I think it is ridiculous having to wear a uniform as a ferry pilot.

Yeah, I was thinking about the NetJets pilots too! I used to always see them walking through CVG when I was working there in the summers.

Kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum -but I've seen a few mainline FA's jumpseat on JB and walk right past the Captain down the jetway or past the gate (all offenses were before the copycat TSA getup came along).

CA: "Hi, you jumpseating with us today?"
FA: "Yup." *just keeps walking*
CA: "You want to hold up a second?"
FA: "Huh?"
CA: "Red faced a bit- Got an ID and a seat?"
etc etc...

Haven't seen a pilot commit that offense, but that would probably be more entertaining. I guess people have their set perceptions and when those perceptions are wrong things like this happen.

What do you all think?

I think if the capt had any character, he would've apologized profusely for making an ass out of himself. I used to wear a uniform when I was flying a Chieftain single pilot. Was it silly? I kind of thought so, but it's what my company required so I did it. Never had to commute home with that job, but I very easily could have. The job I have now requires me to commute on the airlines all the time, but my uniform is now slacks and a polo shirt. If they required pilot shirts, I'd be wearing a pilot uniform on the airlines pretty often as a full fare customer. If that capt gave me crap about it, I wouldn't put up with it for even a second. Netjets guys ride around on the airlines all the time as full fare customers in pilot uniforms, sounds like that capt is just out of touch with the aviation world outside of 121.

For that reason, I never deadhead in uniform when I'm a regular pax unless I have no other choice (i.e. DH straight into a trip). Not that your friend's friend did anything wrong, but it would put me in sort of an ackward position if the crew thought I was jumpseating when I in fact wasn't.

For that reason, I never deadhead in uniform when I'm a regular pax unless I have no other choice (i.e. DH straight into a trip). Not that your friend's friend did anything wrong, but it would put me in sort of an ackward position if the crew thought I was jumpseating when I in fact wasn't.

No it wouldn't. If they ask, you tell them. If they get pissed, F' 'em.

Have had some NetJets guys and they've always been in uniform even though they were ticketed. Had a Kalitta (sp?) pilot once, and he was ticketed as well, but was in uniform.
Sounds like that CA flew off the handle. At the very least, he should have apologized.

I'm waiting (unenthusiastically) for the day that I'm deadheading between hubs in uniform and encounter this situation. I can believe that it happened, there are some real ######bag captains (and FOs/FAs) out there.

As has been mentioned, figure out whether or not the person is jumpseating (preferably without them even knowing) before jumping on them about not introducing themselves.

As far as netjets, I think their uniforms are very easy to identify and most pilots know what their gig is as far as repositioning.

A somewhat unrelated story from a month ago or so: A pilot comes up to the flight deck to introduce himself to me, and tells me that the gate agent gave him a boarding pass and said he didn't need a CA's signature. We (me, jumpseater, and FO) were all perplexed by this, but I assured him that he did need my signature, and thanked him for checking in regardless of what the agent told him.

The captain was a dumb a$$.

Before you shoot the approach, ya better know the weather.

Am I missing someting? The manifest wont show that paying passenger in 12D is not crazy, so ignore the fact that he just hoped aboard your flight in full monkey suit. If I see that I would need some sort of explanation.

Kind of on the opposite end of the spectrum -but I've seen a few mainline FA's jumpseat on JB and walk right past the Captain down the jetway or past the gate (all offenses were before the copycat TSA getup came along).

CA: "Hi, you jumpseating with us today?"
FA: "Yup." *just keeps walking*
CA: "You want to hold up a second?"
FA: "Huh?"
CA: "Red faced a bit- Got an ID and a seat?"
etc etc...

Haven't seen a pilot commit that offense, but that would probably be more entertaining. I guess people have their set perceptions and when those perceptions are wrong things like this happen.

Actually, if it's like the reciprocal agreement DL has with JBLU for FAs, then they are actually NOT jumpseating and are NOT required to check in upfront. It is really an ID00 agreement, as they cannot occupy the actual jumpseat, but are ticketed as a non-rev.

I find it hard to believe the story, by the time the Captain upgraded he should've known about companies that purchase tickets to move their crews around.

Am I missing someting? The manifest wont show that paying passenger in 12D is not crazy, so ignore the fact that he just hoped aboard your flight in full monkey suit. If I see that I would need some sort of explanation.

As hard as it may be to believe, lots of pilots outside of the airlines are required to wear pilot uniforms when they perform their jobs (usually charter and fractional, but some corporate too). These pilots are often repositioned using the airlines, and are usually flying on expensive full fare tickets (usually purchased a day or two in advance). They don't need to explain their actions every time they fly on an airline.

I'd be pretty pissed off if you got in my face about it while I was minding my own business, doing my best to forget that I'm stuck in the back of an airline just so that I could get to work or go home. If you were pleasant about it, no problem. But demanding? Your boss would probably be getting a call.

As hard as it may be to believe, lots of pilots outside of the airlines are required to wear pilot uniforms when they perform their jobs (usually charter and fractional, but some corporate too). These pilots are often repositioned using the airlines, and are usually flying on expensive full fare tickets (usually purchased a day or two in advance). They don't need to explain their actions every time they fly on an airline.

I'd be pretty pissed off if you got in my face about it while I was minding my own business, doing my best to forget that I'm stuck in the back of an airline just so that I could get to work or go home. If you were pleasant about it, no problem. But demanding? Your boss would probably be getting a call.

:yeahthat:

That Captain wouldn't have got 2 words in before I would have interrupted him and asked where baggage claim is.

Back